• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Have you gotten your M1 Garand yet?

To be curious, how is the fit on the new stuff? I remember 10 or so years ago, it was oversized.

I little oversize is actually preferred, though it's not really oversize if CMP ships it all set up. Much of the accuracy comes from tight lock-up of the trigger group and receiver against the stock. I've had a couple that were difficult to lock up without a rubber mallet. What you absolutely don't want is a loose fit.

I little oversize is actually preferred, though it's not really oversize if CMP ships it all set up. Much of the accuracy comes from tight lock-up of the trigger group and receiver against the stock. I've had a couple that were difficult to lock up without a rubber mallet. What you absolutely don't want is a loose fit.
CMP’s website thecmp.org has a wealth of knowledge about the M1 Garand. Always go there first when you have a question. For example, on trigger group lock up:

HOW TIGHT IS TOO TIGHT FOR MY GARAND TRIGGER GROUP?

CMP’s website thecmp.org has a wealth of knowledge about the M1 Garand. Always go there first when you have a question. For example, on trigger group lock up:

HOW TIGHT IS TOO TIGHT FOR MY GARAND TRIGGER GROUP?

That's a good link, nice job.

Unlikely CMP will ship something with too tight of a fit. More likely that folks getting USGI wood will get a fit too loose for optimum accuracy. If one is more of a collector than shooter, that's perfectly fine.

Unlikely CMP will ship something with too tight of a fit. More likely that folks getting USGI wood will get a fit too loose for optimum accuracy. If one is more of a collector than shooter, that's perfectly fine.
I got my CMP wood M1 first. I had to whack the stock on the ground hard a few times to get the receiver to come out.
When my service grade with USGI wood came, I nearly dropped it on the floor since it pretty much fell out of the stock when I unhinged the trigger guard.

Exactly, you really want to be very cautious when trying to loosen up the fit. While I’ve found several articles on how to loosen it, I’ve never found one on how to tighten it back up without replacing the wood:oops:.

Exactly, you really want to be very cautious when trying to loosen up the fit. While I’ve found several articles on how to loosen it, I’ve never found one on how to tighten it back up without replacing the wood:oops:.

Bedding the stock could take care of that, but it would ruin collector value and would not be CMP legal for competition.

I need to look through my records and see if my shooter is a special or a rack special. It was a 6 digit SA no pitting at all. Nice tight walnut cmp stock. All rebuild SA parts except HRA oprod and obvi new barrel. I really enjoy shooting it. The more correct ones are for collecting. I plan on stripping the stock and refinishing it with the ussr finish offered on cmpforum.

Unless the stock is grossly FUp theres no reason to make stock fit "loose" relief in area of interference like op rod and barrel channel and the mag catch area sure. Im sure someone can come up eith the US arsenal photo of the guy closing the trigger housing with a large wooden/lether mallet.

Just a note to all you new M1 owners. You do need to be careful about what ammo you shoot in your new Garand. Modern .30-06 hunting ammo will generally have too high of a peak pressure and can damage your Grand’s op rod. Your best bet is using ammo specifically made for M1s. TSUSA has a page dedicated to M1 Grand ammo: M1 Garand Ammo . And of course you can use CMP’s own Creedmoor ammo: Creedmoor/CMP 3006 M2 Ball . The old mil-sup ammo is all but gone. If you must use normal commercial .30-06 ammo, I would suggest you get the Garand Gear Ported Gas Plug . A description of how it works is here: The M1 Garand and Commercial Ammunition . At $40 for a simple plug it’s not cheap, but it is a lot cheaper than trying to fix or replace your op rod.
good info
remember though there is no factory ammo loaded today unless its defective that will blow up a safe in spec garand by means of excessive chamber pressure.
Whats important is the pressure and gas volume that reaches the gas port.
I dont know why anyone would shoot "hunting" ammo through a M1 when theres so much "M1 specific" safe ammo out there and so far its always cheaper.

I called the CMP custom shop yesterday. They said that to have a .308 barrel installed and head-spaced i’d be looking at 4-6 months outo_O.
yup cmp custom has been back logged like that for a long time.
You can buy a rifle now and wait out to see if cmp puts out a 308 version or pick up a barrel

I got my CMP wood M1 first. I had to whack the stock on the ground hard a few times to get the receiver to come out.
When my service grade with USGI wood came, I nearly dropped it on the floor since it pretty much fell out of the stock when I unhinged the trigger guard.
My oldest new wood stocked M1
garand shows a good amount of compression and is no longer as tight. It only comes apart if it gets wet.

Been meaning to do this for a while. So you just order by Mai, correct? Can you order ammo at the same time or does that have to go through the e-store?
If there are any ammo deals you need to order rifle and ammo at the same time. Not long ago they had buy 1 get one half price ammo when buying a rifle.
Sounds silly but a 2019 they had a real good ammo deal IIRC it was 500 rounds 1/2 price per rifle ordered. The lapua brass and bullet stuff. Old timer i know bought his 8 garand limit for the ammo deal. Parted out the 8 garands of any parts needed to correct some other rifles and sold off 5 of the 8.
He lucked out and found a stock he needed , 3 forged trigger groups , some IHC parts he wanted along with a really nice early SA minus GI wood.

If there are any ammo deals you need to order rifle and ammo at the same time. Not long ago they had buy 1 get one half price ammo when buying a rifle.
Sounds silly but a 2019 they had a real good ammo deal IIRC it was 500 rounds 1/2 price per rifle ordered. The lapua brass and bullet stuff. Old timer i know bought his 8 garand limit for the ammo deal. Parted out the 8 garands of any parts needed to correct some other rifles and sold off 5 of the 8.
He lucked out and found a stock he needed , 3 forged trigger groups , some IHC parts he wanted along with a really nice early SA minus GI wood.

Thanks. One more question, for the rebuilt specials is the new barrel (centurion) chrome lined? There’s seems to be conflicting information online and it’s not clear (to me) from the CMP site.

Thanks. One more question, for the rebuilt specials is the new barrel (centurion) chrome lined? There’s seems to be conflicting information online and it’s not clear (to me) from the CMP site.
The barrel is made from 4140/50 chrome-moly steel and is NOT chrome lined.

ETA: And its Criterion not centurion:).

Criterion.

No, they are not chrome lined. Chrome moly steel, but not chrome lined. Great barrel for the M1. I see that Criterion offers M1 barrels in 6.5x55 Swede, 270 Win, and 35 Whelan- in case one needs to shoot grizzly bears.

I get mine from AmmoGarand.com. You only need the cardboard inserts if you plan to use a standard M1 bandoleer. You’ll pay a lot more for “collector” clips, those that date from the same period as your M1. I buy the less expensive new manufacture ones. M1 GARAND 8RD CLIPS NEW US The cheapest place to buy them was the CMP online store, but it looks like they are out of them. The only thing I have heard is that some of the new manufacture clips are too heavily parkerized so you have to wear them down a bit to get them to fit in easily. I’ve never had any problem with either my CMP clips or the Aggressive Engineering "AEC 3” clips from AmmoGarand. You actually don’t need very many, since they last forever, but it’s nice to be able to go through 120 rounds (15 clips) without having to load them at the range. (I probably have a few too many since I could go through over 800 rounds without having to reload a clip.)

Back
Top Bottom