Have you gotten your M1 Garand yet?

Still waiting, sent out September 30, no email yet
Have you tried registering on their E-store with the e-mail address you used when you ordered the gun? If you do, when you login in you might be able to see the order status when you click on the “Order Status” menu item on the dropdown when you click on your account name. I know it works for me, but I've been a member forever so the link between my e-mail address and my account is well established.

ETA: Just looked at my CMP account info and remembered I do have a customer number with them that I put on my mail orders, so that is probably why I get the status updates on my account. It still wouldn’t hurt to try.

Last edited:
What clips are recommended to purchase? Are they all the same? Do I need the cardboard inserts?

I recommend Aggressive Engineering new clips. I'll be giving some away to the random drawing winner in the Winter Warrior postal match. M1 is perfect for this match.

Winter Warrior 2020 - 2021 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles

If anyone has trouble with clips accidentally popping out, could be a worn clip latch or just the notch on the clip is not well defined. You can take a file to the clip notch so that the clip latch holds it securely.

Thinking I may order a service grade w/ a sticky for a HRA. I'd pick one out at the store when I go to compete in the Talladega 600 but have to consider whether or not it's worth paying sales tax to hand pick.

Last edited:
I recommend Aggressive Engineering new clips. I'll be giving some away to the random drawing winner in the Winter Warrior postal match. M1 is perfect for this match.

Winter Warrior 2020 - 2021 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles

If anyone has trouble with clips accidentally popping out, could be a worn clip latch or just the notch on the clip is not well defined. You can take a file to the clip notch so that the clip latch holds it securely.

Thinking I may order a service grade w/ a sticky for a HRA. I'd pick one out at the store when I go to compete in the Talladega 600 but have to consider whether or not it's worth paying sales tax to hand pick.
In the past you could pick out the rifle and have it shipped to your home thus avoiding the sales tax. I flew down there twice and hand picked what I wanted and avoided the sales tax by shipping them home.

In the past you could pick out the rifle and have it shipped to your home thus avoiding the sales tax. I flew down there twice and hand picked what I wanted and avoided the sales tax by shipping them home.

Now you must show proof of a flight to do that. If I flew I'd have to consider that I'd be traveling with 4 different rifles prepped for competition, which would be some serious hardware to lose if any went into the baggage black hole.

It's not just the money- I built a M14 from a forged Bula Defense receiver with painstaking detail for accuracy. It would probably shoot under MOA with a scope, I've shot numerous 100 yard 1-1/8" groups with irons and a few perfect slow fire prone scores in competition. I'd like to say I have mad skills but I think there's some luck involved and not sure I'd repeat the same results with another build. My K31 wasn't expensive but it's an old Swiss service rifle that was later shot in Schutzenfests by the same guy who was issued that particular rifle in the service. It has matching name competition stickers and troop tag under the butt plate. My match M1 Garand was built by a Camp Perry and Quantico legend and mentor to some of us who compete regularly in local CMP matches. No particular attachment to my 1941 USMC sniper clone, but they are not cheap to build.

I highly encourage all of you to try your hand at a CMP match with your M1's or just as good, go to a Old Colony CMP clinic / match and shoot one of the expertly prepped club guns. Fair warning- you can get sucked into the same multiple rifle rabbit hole that I did.

Now you must show proof of a flight to do that. If I flew I'd have to consider that I'd be traveling with 4 different rifles prepped for competition, which would be some serious hardware to lose if any went into the baggage black hole.

It's not just the money- I built a M14 from a forged Bula Defense receiver with painstaking detail for accuracy. It would probably shoot under MOA with a scope, I've shot numerous 100 yard 1-1/8" groups with irons and a few perfect slow fire prone scores in competition. I'd like to say I have mad skills but I think there's some luck involved and not sure I'd repeat the same results with another build. My K31 wasn't expensive but it's an old Swiss service rifle that was later shot in Schutzenfests by the same guy who was issued that particular rifle in the service. It has matching name competition stickers and troop tag under the butt plate. My match M1 Garand was built by a Camp Perry and Quantico legend and mentor to some of us who compete regularly in local CMP matches. No particular attachment to my 1941 USMC sniper clone, but they are not cheap to build.

I highly encourage all of you to try your hand at a CMP match with your M1's or just as good, go to a Old Colony CMP clinic / match and shoot one of the expertly prepped club guns. Fair warning- you can get sucked into the same multiple rifle rabbit hole that I did.
Anyone who can shoot a perfect score in any CMP compilation is a very good shot in my book. You could give me one of the best prepared Garands in the world and I wouldn’t come close to a perfect score. Just not that good with irons. But I still love my Garands.

Anyone who can shoot a perfect score in any CMP compilation is a very good shot in my book. You could give me one of the best prepared Garands in the world and I wouldn’t come close to a perfect score. Just not that good with irons. But I still love my Garands.

Thanks, but perfect score in slow prone LOL doesn't equate to perfect score in the competition. I think some of the highest scores I've seen with M1's have been low to maybe mid 290's out of 300. Highest score in Modern Military (usually AR's and M1A's) is ~297. Everyone drops points in offhand and rapids- some of us more than others.

Thanks, but perfect score in slow prone LOL doesn't equate to perfect score in the competition. I think some of the highest scores I've seen with M1's have been low to maybe mid 290's out of 300. Highest score in Modern Military (usually AR's and M1A's) is ~297. Everyone drops points in offhand and rapids- some of us more than others.
I should have said any stage of a CMP competition. I know it’s extremely difficult to shoot a perfect match, but I couldn’t come close in any stage. In fact, shooting from a bench rest I still wouldn’t come close :rolleyes: .

Please let us know what “heavy pitting” actually looks like...
I should have said any stage of a CMP competition. I know it’s extremely difficult to shoot a perfect match, but I couldn’t come close in any stage. In fact, shooting from a bench rest I still wouldn’t come close :rolleyes: .
get you slung up prone and some good basic tips I bet we can get you shooting better. I good shooting coat helps also. It takes some of the bodies natural pulse out of the equation.

My feelings about the Garand have nothing to do with potential political developments. I don't thing they're relevant.

But, I think every American should have a Garand. I think riflery and gun safety should be an electicve course in high school and if you graduation without being a shithead, you should be able to take your rifle home when you're 18 and graduate.

My feelings about the Garand have nothing to do with potential political developments. I don't thing they're relevant.

But, I think every American should have a Garand. I think riflery and gun safety should be an electicve course in high school and if you graduation without being a shithead, you should be able to take your rifle home when you're 18 and graduate.
Ahh rhe good old days of USA
My neighbor showed me pictures of the bus with rifle racks on it for the rifle team and hunting season. Right here in massachusetts. Hunted behind the highschool.
Another neighbor has pictures of postman picking up 2 dozen 1911s when the box gave out in his driveway.
Ordered them old school snail mail paid $12 each as salvageable , missing small parts.
He has 3 left and they are nice.

Have you tried registering on their E-store with the e-mail address you used when you ordered the gun? If you do, when you login in you might be able to see the order status when you click on the “Order Status” menu item on the dropdown when you click on your account name. I know it works for me, but I've been a member forever so the link between my e-mail address and my account is well established.

ETA: Just looked at my CMP account info and remembered I do have a customer number with them that I put on my mail orders, so that is probably why I get the status updates on my account. It still wouldn’t hurt to try.
Yes, and it says no pending orders

I only got an email after I emailed to find out where my DBU email was. They are swamped with orders and have a huge backlog but they did email me back. My order showed up in the Estore shortly after.

I was on the high school rifle team in Valley Stream, NY in the 1970's. The district built Memorial Junior High School in the 1950's and put a rifle range in the basement. It was name Memorial to honor the men KIA in WWII one of which was my Uncle. It was special to me to be able to shoot on a rifle team in a building where my Uncles name was on a plaque on a wall in the entrance to that school.
How times have changed.

Mailed in all of the docs for a Special Rack Grade on Saturday (10/24) - $650. We'll see what happens...
Emailed CMP on 1/4 - received below on 1/5.

We apologize for the delay, but we are behind entering orders at this time. We are currently working on orders placed October 13, and will send you an email once the order is entered into your account.

We apologize for the delay, but we are behind entering orders at this time. We are currently working on orders placed October 13, and will send you an email once the order is entered into your account.

Wow. When I called a week before Christmas they said they were working on orders received 1st week of October. In 4 weeks their backlog moved forward less than 2 weeks!

Well that is interesting idea. Maybe a little pricey. Just how do you get the smallest one inside your house @ 84"W x 39"L x 80"H ?

Wow. When I called a week before Christmas they said they were working on orders received 1st week of October. In 4 weeks their backlog moved forward less than 2 weeks!

As Mountain said they do shut down for two weeks during Christmas and New Years.

I got mine in 1997 when the line of thinking was the same. No YouTube to learn how to use it and take it apart. I brought it to the range, loaded in an enblock and the damn bolt slammed on my thumbnail, cracking it and causing blood so spurt out. Jesus, I just wanted to go home but I didn't know how to unload it. I fired until empty, ran a patch down the barrel and put it in the safe where it sat untouched for ~10 years.

I was sitting at the club listening to a couple of old Korean War marines talking about their Garands, when I fessed up and told them my experience. They had a good laugh and the next weekend I got a private lesson on how to handle, fire, site in and field strip it. I'll die with that firearm in my safe and leave it to my grandkids.

I got mine in 1997 when the line of thinking was the same. No YouTube to learn how to use it and take it apart. I brought it to the range, loaded in an enblock and the damn bolt slammed on my thumbnail, cracking it and causing blood so spurt out. Jesus, I just wanted to go home but I didn't know how to unload it. I fired until empty, ran a patch down the barrel and put it in the safe where it sat untouched for ~10 years.

I was sitting at the club listening to a couple of old Korean War marines talking about their Garands, when I fessed up and told them my experience. They had a good laugh and the next weekend I got a private lesson on how to handle, fire, site in and field strip it. I'll die with that firearm in my safe and leave it to my grandkids.

LOL, awesome account of learning to operate the M1. Garand thumb is a rite of passage. Methods to avoid it are not particularly intuitive and it's best to have someone experienced show you the ropes. Everyone pretty much messes up at least once to drive that lesson home.

Anyone who shoots an M1 offhand (standing) with a reverse grip for your non-trigger hand, WATCH OUT! A couple of us have splattered the end of our thumb wide open on the op rod handle. I found out the hard way via practicing one day without the sling attached. 4 layers of thick leather always kept my thumb well out of the way. Not so much when the sling is missing.

I think @mac1911 has already mentioned it in this thread, but there are Garand clinics at the monthly Old Colony matches. You'll learn the ins and outs of operating a Garand plus get some coaching on position shooting. $13 match fee if you bring your own ammo and still reasonable if you buy club ammo and shoot one of the very well prepped club M1's. May be a couple other clubs with clinics, like Hanson perhaps.

I have mine, and several bandoliers of enbloc clips loaded. I also have a basically brand new 03a3, and an almost brand new k31 with enough m2 ball and gp11 to wear the throats out of the barrels. Doesn't really matter though because I'm not giving up anything they try to ban anyway.

LOL, awesome account of learning to operate the M1. Garand thumb is a rite of passage. Methods to avoid it are not particularly intuitive and it's best to have someone experienced show you the ropes. Everyone pretty much messes up at least once to drive that lesson home.

Anyone who shoots an M1 offhand (standing) with a reverse grip for your non-trigger hand, WATCH OUT! A couple of us have splattered the end of our thumb wide open on the op rod handle. I found out the hard way via practicing one day without the sling attached. 4 layers of thick leather always kept my thumb well out of the way. Not so much when the sling is missing.

I think @mac1911 has already mentioned it in this thread, but there are Garand clinics at the monthly Old Colony matches. You'll learn the ins and outs of operating a Garand plus get some coaching on position shooting. $13 match fee if you bring your own ammo and still reasonable if you buy club ammo and shoot one of the very well prepped club M1's. May be a couple other clubs with clinics, like Hanson perhaps.
My Great uncle said Garand thumb is caused by putting your fingers where they dont belong. He went on to tell me most people get garand thumb while cleaning it. I did not get a garand until long after he passed but I remembered just about everything he told me about them. He taught me a lot about shooting with out every going to the range.

He once said to me and my dad. When they are storming Nantasket Beach I will gladly take a rifle and ammo until then keep them away from me.

Hanson Rod and Gun is a "shoot" very basic introductory cmp. 1st sat and 3rd sunday but I hear they are thinking of dropping cmp for the winter months ?

I have mine, and several bandoliers of enbloc clips loaded. I also have a basically brand new 03a3, and an almost brand new k31 with enough m2 ball and gp11 to wear the throats out of the barrels. Doesn't really matter though because I'm not giving up anything they try to ban anyway.
Do you plan to shoot those,

Just went to the CMP site and found this - have they run out? I have not received notification my October order was received.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 4.46.59 PM.png

Just went to the CMP site and found this - have they run out? I have not received notification my October order was received.

View attachment 438236
No they are just out of the rack grade specials
They still have HRA and SA service grades
Winchester field or rack
And IHCs

im guessing the specials are on hold for lack of barrels, stocks or maybe receivers? Or to just play catch up on regular orders?
If you ordered one of those field/rack grade specials before rhe sold out notice you “should” be ok

I thought I posted this here, but maybe not...

Sent on 10/10/2020; received it on 10/20/2020.

On 1/14/2021 I received:

“The Special Rack grade rifle you requested is currently on backorder at this time. It will be filled as requested, but could take longer than expected. We are waiting to receive more barrels in to complete the rifles. Would you be interested in upgrading your order for an additional charge to a Special Field grade ($850) or regular Special grade ($1050) to receive the item faster? If not, we will leave the order on backorder and you will receive an email once it ships out.”

I see this as they’ll (hopefully) finish my order and ship once all parts are received...I hope this is the case for everyone else in the same boat...

YMMV

View attachment 438236
Give them a call to make sure they received your order. Also check the order status under your E-Store account (if you have one). I always send my rifle orders in USPS Priority mail so I can be sure they received it. I’ve only received confirmations for my E-Store orders, never for my rifle orders. If they received your order, they will fulfill it, it might just take some time.

I thought I posted this here, but maybe not...

Sent on 10/10/2020; received it on 10/20/2020.

On 1/14/2021 I received:

“The Special Rack grade rifle you requested is currently on backorder at this time. It will be filled as requested, but could take longer than expected. We are waiting to receive more barrels in to complete the rifles. Would you be interested in upgrading your order for an additional charge to a Special Field grade ($850) or regular Special grade ($1050) to receive the item faster? If not, we will leave the order on backorder and you will receive an email once it ships out.”

I see this as they’ll (hopefully) finish my order and ship once all parts are received...I hope this is the case for everyone else in the same boat...

YMMV
sounds like they are out of barrels, good news is they are offering a up grade makes it seem like the field and service grade specials are coming back up for orders. i would take the up grade

Back
Top Bottom