• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Have you gotten your M1 Garand yet?

This is the notice up on their site:

Our rifle inventory is limited at this time due to our log of backorders and the 7 week CMP shutdown due to COVID-19. Our stores were stocked before we left for quarantine and we did not pull the stock back because it would slow all processes. We hope to open up rifle types again once we have restocked our inventory and processed the majority of our backorders.

sounds like they are out of barrels, good news is they are offering a up grade makes it seem like the field and service grade specials are coming back up for orders. i would take the up grade

They are completely out of Special Rack grade, regardless of what the website says. I finally got my email today, they offered to wait on backorder indefinitely or upgrade to Special Field. I called them and spoke to a friendly woman and asked her point blank about availability, she said that there is quite a lengthy backorder list and after I pressed her more she hinted that they might never be available again :eek:. They are opening boxes and filing backorders as they find rifles that qualify for Special Rack.

So, I upgraded to Special Field for immediate fulfillment

I’d also go with the upgrade, even though (if I recall, since the prices are no longer on the site) the RM1SPECIALFIELD is a hundred dollars more than the RM1SPECIALRACK.

The CMP were pretty much out of M1s until they got 86,000 from The Philippines and 13,000 from Turkey back in early 2018. So they’ve been working through those 99,000 rifles since then. And not all of these 99,000 are serviceable. The only additional M1s on the horizon is 80,000 M1 loaners that South Korea has under MAP. CMP is still in negotiations to acquire this inventory. But for now, when they use up the current 99,000, that will be it for CMP Garand sales. So I go with the old saying “A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush”.

ETA And another reason to not wait on the 80,000 rifles in South Korea is that they have to go back to the Army first. The reason it took till 2018 to get the last batch is that Obama sat on the authorization to allow the Army to accept them back. So with Biden I would not expect to see any of those rifles in the next 4 years.

Last edited:
CRAP!

You guys are making me mental!!

I initially opted to wait and take what I originally ordered, but now I’m considering the upgrade.

They are completely out of Special Rack grade, regardless of what the website says. I finally got my email today, they offered to wait on backorder indefinitely or upgrade to Special Field. I called them and spoke to a friendly woman and asked her point blank about availability, she said that there is quite a lengthy backorder list and after I pressed her more she hinted that they might never be available again :eek:. They are opening boxes and filing backorders as they find rifles that qualify for Special Rack.

So, I upgraded to Special Field for immediate fulfillment
I find it more likely they will have cmp specials back, when is the question.
The cmp specials are built off of receivers. Im going to gander cmp ended up with a lot of receivers in the "rack" or "field" grade condition over the years. The questions are
1. Does cmp have enough receivers on hand to continue the "special" program
2. Do they have enough stocks,barrels and parts to continue
3. Will they assemble what remaining usgi parts they have to build out complete rifles.

What ever they do its going to take cmp time.
CMP time is what it is.
South korean M1s and Carbines from what i understand are not coming back through the Army so CMP will never see them. S. Korean M1s and Carbines went to auction and Century won that bid only to get shut down by Obumma .
The ammo seemed to find its way .
Just bite the bullet and order a service grade.
PM me for a way to save $200 off your M1

I emailed them regarding my Specials last week sometime.
Responded today with.
Mr.

Please forgive the delay in response. Current market conditions have overwhelmed our sales staff, who are working diligently to keep up with unprecedented demand. Assuming you mailed your order in, I can confirm that our sales deopartment has not yet begun to process orders received on your date of submission. I am certain that your order is queued for review with others received the same day, but it will be some time yet before hands are actually placed on it. If your order was received before the availability status was changed to "sold out", your request will be honored (contingent upon availability of components at that time, of course). If your request cannot be fulfilled due to supply or some other issue at that time, one of our sales staff will reach out to discuss possible alternate resolution. I hope I have been able to satisfy your concern, but please don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you have any additional questions. Any inquiry placed with sales via voicemail or email will certainly experience a significant delay in response. I would like to thank you for your continued support and patience as we work to satisfy all of our customers as efficiently as possible. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Thanks,

Chris Hord

Custom Shop Supervisor

Civilian Marksmanship Program

(256)835-8455 x514

I got an email the other day saying they were all out of special racks, and no more receivers for them. Offered the upgrade, I said I would take it but heard nothing back. They said they were on October orders and mine had a receipt date of Nov. 9

ETA And another reason to not wait on the 80,000 rifles in South Korea is that they have to go back to the Army first. The reason it took till 2018 to get the last batch is that Obama sat on the authorization to allow the Army to accept them back. So with Biden I would not expect to see any of those rifles in the next 4 years.

This is not accurate. The South Korean Garands were not going back to the Army, which would not need any authorization to take them back anyway since they would be Army property that was lent to SK, they were being IMPORTED through commercial entities which is entirely different and does require authorization. They would never have gone to the Army or the CMP for that matter, they'd have been sold to the importers which would then sell them to the public (places like Century, Sarco, etc.)

This is not accurate. The South Korean Garands were not going back to the Army, which would not need any authorization to take them back anyway since they would be Army property that was lent to SK, they were being IMPORTED through commercial entities which is entirely different and does require authorization. They would never have gone to the Army or the CMP for that matter, they'd have been sold to the importers which would then sell them to the public (places like Century, Sarco, etc.)
So in that case the CPMs inventory is limited to the 99,000 rifles they already brought back to the States. Even more reason to get one now if at all possible.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was going on something I read on Bearing Arms. I now understand that the South Korean M1s were bought by South Korea, not loaned to them by the US. So they are South Korean property, to do with what they wish. Obama blocked the importation of them in 2013:

"But in August 2013, Obama reversed course again. With an executive order banning reimportation of the M1s, the president publicly embraced the argument that an infusion of 10-pound, three-and-a-half-foot-long, 60-year-old wooden rifles could endanger American citizens. “This new policy will help keep military-grade firearms off our streets,” read a news release. With a single stroke, Obama scribbled out all previous strokes and ended the dream of a million old-yet-new M1 rifles entering the U.S. market."

Thanks for clearing that up. I was going on something I read on Bearing Arms. I now understand that the South Korean M1s were bought by South Korea, not loaned to them by the US. So they are South Korean property, to do with what they wish. Obama blocked the importation of them in 2013:

There's actually some question about whether we sold them the M1s or if they were a lend and now they think they own them. But it seems possession is 99% in this case :-(

There's actually some question about whether we sold them the M1s or if they were a lend and now they think they own them. But it seems possession is 99% in this case :-(
Well they seemed to have already made up their mind when S,Korea put them to auction

I'm waiting on my renewal to come in so I can send in my paperwork. Any pro tips for when i do order?
Are you planning on ordering a rifle? If so you’ll need to have page 2A of your order notarized with a “wet” signature. So if you haven’t done that yet, get that taken care of at you bank’s local branch office. Normally I’d say you could send in all your paper work even with an expired LTC and then just e-mail a scanned in copy of the new one when you get it, but with their current workload, that might not be a good idea. Best bet would be to call or e-mail them and ask how they want to proceed. No matter what, when ordering a rifle I always send it in 2 day priority mail.

If you aren’t buying a rifle, I don’t think you’ll need to file a notarized page 2A, so you might just be able to e-mail then scanned images of all your docs.

Maybe someone else can add to the ammo only purchase requirements, as I’ve ordered several rifles from them and have a customer ID I use for all my new orders, including those that are just ammo.

Again, you can always call or e-mail them, they are always happy to help (through their nerves might be getting a bit thin with the massive increase in demand for their services).

Are you planning on ordering a rifle? If so you’ll need to have page 2A of your order notarized with a “wet” signature. So if you haven’t done that yet, get that taken care of at you bank’s local branch office. Normally I’d say you could send in all your paper work even with an expired LTC and then just e-mail a scanned in copy of the new one when you get it, but with their current workload, that might not be a good idea. Best bet would be to call or e-mail them and ask how they want to proceed. No matter what, when ordering a rifle I always send it in 2 day priority mail.

If you aren’t buying a rifle, I don’t think you’ll need to file a notarized page 2A, so you might just be able to e-mail then scanned images of all your docs.

Maybe someone else can add to the ammo only purchase requirements, as I’ve ordered several rifles from them and have a customer ID I use for all my new orders, including those that are just ammo.

Again, you can always call or e-mail them, they are always happy to help (through their nerves might be getting a bit thin with the massive increase in demand for their services).
It will be for a rifle. I will give a call to them and see what they would prefer as far as my license, thanks.

I had to call about a issue with my account.
The young lady was a pleasant as could be. Even if she was angry he southern accent would keep that from showing.

It will be for a rifle. I will give a call to them and see what they would prefer as far as my license, thanks.
Is there documentation anywhere about the delays for licensing .
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought if you had a receipt for your renewal you where good? Or is that just state side

UPDATE - ordered a Special Rack Grade. Mailed in paperwork on 10/24/20

Received this email yesterday, 1/30

CMP Order Received 10-27-20

We have received and verified your recent order. You will receive other emails as the order progresses.

Your customer # is XXXXXX. Your email address and password are what you will need to use to log into our estore to check order status, purchase items, view your account, etc. The order will not show as pending until the Sales Department processes and assigns an order number to it. If you have any problems doing this, please let us know.

The shipping time will be determined by the amount of orders ahead of your order.

Thank you for your order and your support of our program.

Melissa Smith
Customer Relations Supervisor
256-835-8455 ext 341
[email protected]

UPDATE - ordered a Special Rack Grade. Mailed in paperwork on 10/24/20

Received this email yesterday, 1/30

CMP Order Received 10-27-20

We have received and verified your recent order. You will receive other emails as the order progresses.

Your customer # is XXXXXX. Your email address and password are what you will need to use to log into our estore to check order status, purchase items, view your account, etc. The order will not show as pending until the Sales Department processes and assigns an order number to it. If you have any problems doing this, please let us know.

The shipping time will be determined by the amount of orders ahead of your order.

Thank you for your order and your support of our program.

Melissa Smith
Customer Relations Supervisor
256-835-8455 ext 341
[email protected]
that is the shut up and wait email.
so you should have a nice surprise come spring!
In the meantime go order some ammo

Use it for ammo ?
For a rifle, didn't see any of their 30-06 listed.

Is that for any rifle purchase or just because of an expired LTC?

For any rifle you need to have submitted a notarized copy of page 2A of the order form. This has to be “wet”, meaning an actual signed hard copy, so it has to go by mail. That “wet” copy is good for 3 years, as long as your address doesn’t change. This notarized document is used by the CMP to run your 4473 so that they can ship the rifle direct to your door. All the rest of the required qualification documentation can be scanned and emailed as long as you give them a heads up. I have found it’s easiest to just put together the entire order form and mail it via Priority Mail. Once you’ve submitted your qualification docs with your first order you’ll get a customer number that you can use for orders from the e-store and future rifle orders. Though rifle orders still require you to submit the complete order form, you don’t have to keep submitting a notarized form 2A for 3 years after your first order. Where you’d put the notarization on the 2A you just put “notarized copy on file”. I just put together my order form and just copied it all before I sent it in. For subsequent orders, I just recopy the package and send it all in.

looks like they finally sold out, grab some other offerings they have ? If I had some spending money I would be grabbing a few boxes of this and that

Back
Top Bottom