Haverhill Hound Rod & Gun Club

I live down the street from HHRG am a member and go frequently to the pistol range. Many times I have to go home because a group is doing tactical training. As far as I can determine, the majority of rounds are fired outside of the firing line house, in the open. This group includes regular qualifying and recruiting and training for the IRS, the Deputy Sheriffs, other local towns' police, and someone who offers personal training for people who want to get a job with one of the government-hired private security companies like the one the IRS uses. Many of these guys cannot hit the full figure size target from 5 yards, cannot clear a jam, cannot stand up from a kneeled position without assistance. No one is metioning these groups as the problem. Instead the members seem to be being blamed for "cowboying", something I have never witnessed.

From the sounds, no one is using the club at all right now. The gate is always closed.
Personally, I believe the issue is the McMansions which were sold right next to the club with the real estate brokers promising the buyers that they were going to shut down the club. Truly the sound in these near million dollar homes must be unbearable.
Think how much more the houses will be worth with the gun range closed "volutarily". Follow the money. The club is folding without a fight.

I live down the street from HHRG am a member and go frequently to the pistol range. Many times I have to go home because a group is doing tactical training. As far as I can determine, the majority of rounds are fired outside of the firing line house, in the open. This group includes regular qualifying and recruiting and training for the IRS, the Deputy Sheriffs, other local towns' police, and someone who offers personal training for people who want to get a job with one of the government-hired private security companies like the one the IRS uses. Many of these guys cannot hit the full figure size target from 5 yards, cannot clear a jam, cannot stand up from a kneeled position without assistance. No one is metioning these groups as the problem. Instead the members seem to be being blamed for "cowboying", something I have never witnessed.

From the sounds, no one is using the club at all right now. The gate is always closed.
Personally, I believe the issue is the McMansions which were sold right next to the club with the real estate brokers promising the buyers that they were going to shut down the club. Truly the sound in these near million dollar homes must be unbearable.
Think how much more the houses will be worth with the gun range closed "volutarily". Follow the money. The club is folding without a fight.

Have you been to the meetings? If so then youre not paying attention. Those groups were shown the door months ago, RSO's were implemented because people thought because the police groups were doing stupid shit like that on a range not built for anything remotely related to tactical training then they could too, its a target range, no more no less. The club is empty because most of the regular old retirees sat on the rifle range plinking all day, and thats closed until renovations can be done in the spring. I may go today to use the pistol range, but if theres no RSO I cant shoot and what sucks the most is they want the old retired fudds as RSO's and those are the guys I try to avoid..

I went to HHRG yesterday, practiced some timed firing and chatted with Bill Johnson, the RO, who said the club is being flooded with NEW applications because of the upcomming election. He said they did not enforce the 1 sec/shot rule, so I was happy to see that I can work on the fundamentals there, so its all ok for me. The club is doing a waiting game since the complaints against it are dubious and not being persued by the police.

I went to HHRG yesterday, practiced some timed firing and chatted with Bill Johnson, the RO, who said the club is being flooded with NEW applications because of the upcomming election. He said they did not enforce the 1 sec/shot rule, so I was happy to see that I can work on the fundamentals there, so its all ok for me. The club is doing a waiting game since the complaints against it are dubious and not being persued by the police.

you really need to come to some meetings. the police are not doing anything cause we closed the rifle range and we have RSO's. the chief of police the mayor the B.O.D.had a meeting you would know this if you came to a meeting.

as far as the one shot rule that depends on whether the RSO wants to enforce it.

Last edited:
you really need to come to some meetings. the police are not doing anything cause we closed the rifle range and we have RSO's. the chief of police the mayor the B.O.D.had a meeting you would know this if you came to a meeting.

as far as the one shot rule that depends on whether the RSO wants to enforce it.

i can't attend meetings because of my work sched. i appreciate any and all updates that come across in this thread.....

Thanks wiskie. I have been a member of HHRG off and on for over 20 years and the "old guys" I think have done a pretty good job against anti-gun forces and developers. I am not a rifle shooter, so I have not taken the hit of having that range completely closed.
Bradford Country Club has similar issues with homeowners. The year before the Murphys took over, one homeowner built a large pool right where the majority of missed drive shots end up. He forced the club to essentially change the course.

Wasn't not following the rules, what got the club in trouble in the first place?
I thought the whole purpose of having RSO's was to make sure the rules were being enforced.
I belong to HHRG, maybe it's me, but how can you shutdown the rifle range because people aren't following the rules, then have an RSO not enforce a rule on the pistol range?
I'm thinking Pelham F&G is looking better and better.

Wasn't not following the rules, what got the club in trouble in the first place?
I thought the whole purpose of having RSO's was to make sure the rules were being enforced.
I belong to HHRG, maybe it's me, but how can you shutdown the rifle range because people aren't following the rules, then have an RSO not enforce a rule on the pistol range?
I'm thinking Pelham F&G is looking better and better.

agree about the rules

You have 10 shooters bullseye rapid fire stage--how can anyone know that one shot was .54 sec instead of 1.0 sec?
You typically do not bring the gun down in rapid fire stage. You fire once you have regained sight.
Ergo, an unenforceable rule, unless you eliminate rapid fire in bullseye.

The following is from the club rules:13. On any range, one round per second maximum rate of fire unless shooting at a Club arranged event.

So, if you are firing faster than that, you are breaking the rules. And my point is, as adults, we are supposed to be following the rules that we all signed. And not following the rules, is what got the club in trouble in the first place.
And if an RSO is not enfocing this rule, then they are in violation of the rules also.

^why are you harping on this?

I am harping on this because the rules were put in place for a reason, probably having to do with safety. So, if you aren't following the rules, you probably aren't safe. Do you really think I want to be standing next to someone who isn't safe?? Forgive me for not wanting to get shot by some idiot.
And I am also a little pissed off because I spent $155 to join this club and now because of some idiots, I can no longer use the rifle range. And I have to have someone babysit me while I shoot at the pistol range. One of the reasons I joined this club was because I didn't need someone to babysit me while I shoot.

Afajvan: I think everyone agrees with you on tyour main points. On your main point, I understand that there is no actual proof that the gun range was responsible for any of the claimed safety violations (can a pistol round even make it to the houses on the top of the hill with any power left?). There is no proof it wasn't golf balls that caused whatever is the alleged safety violation, or that someone went into the berm and grabbed a handfull of bullets and sprinkled them around his house, or that a neighborhood kid did not fire a gun. On the one-second rule, I believe that if the RSO is OK with it then it is "club sponsored" so not a violation. Moreover, the rule is designed to protect a begining shooter from harming himself from shooting again after a squib. This would not injure someone in another shooting stall.

I think they were leaning more like what MRA has for there rifle range.

Yup, and they seem to have made some good progress, the club might be getting a number of concrete pipes(more than needed) for free, and delivered free. Believe the pipes were 3' diameter by 20' long, so they figure they might be saving 10K$ easy. Slowly but surely its coming together.

Anyone know a public range perhaps to sight in a shotgun, I should be okay with iron sights but my dads looking for a place. Someone mentioned martin burns wma at the meeting, do they have a range?

Yup, and they seem to have made some good progress, the club might be getting a number of concrete pipes(more than needed) for free, and delivered free. Believe the pipes were 3' diameter by 20' long, so they figure they might be saving 10K$ easy. Slowly but surely its coming together.

Anyone know a public range perhaps to sight in a shotgun, I should be okay with iron sights but my dads looking for a place. Someone mentioned martin burns wma at the meeting, do they have a range?

I can host you at WSA any weeknight from 3:30 to sundown (which is pretty early now a days [sad])

So a friend of mine, who recently moved to Haverhill is looking to join a club. I used to be a member, deployed to afghanistan, came back and never re-newed.

By any chance, could one of you awesome NESers (or another current member) show him around and maybe let him shoot a few? He also deployed with me and is licensed.

Feel free to PM me, thanks.

If your looking to become a R.O. to help with the club I just saw this posted on HHRG website:

Sat-Sun/Dec/15-16
RSO Training Class
The list to be confirmed at the BOD on 11/26. If you filled out a card,
or expressed interest by email, please come to that meeting.

ME: *I don't know if I can make any of those dates so maybe I go maybe I don't, hope others that are in more of a pressing need for range use can attend.*

Back
Top Bottom