• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Having unrestricted LTC and carying a gun in Federal building in Boston

It has been several years since this took place so I don't know if it has changed. But, the last time I had to go to the JFK building it didn't even dawn on me that it was a Federal building and I was carrying.

There was a Statie sitting at a desk just to the left of the metal detectors. I explained my situation to him and He said that was no problem. The drawers in his desk all had lock boxes in them. It was obviously set up for this specific function. He simply locked up my piece in one of them and gave me a receipt for it.

I went upstairs, completed my business and picked up my Glock on the way out. Easy peasy.

It has been several years since this took place so I don't know if it has changed. But, the last time I had to go to the JFK building it didn't even dawn on me that it was a Federal building and I was carrying.

There was a Statie sitting at a desk just to the left of the metal detectors. I explained my situation to him and He said that was no problem. The drawers in his desk all had lock boxes in them. It was obviously set up for this specific function. He simply locked up my piece in one of them and gave me a receipt for it.

I went upstairs, completed my business and picked up my Glock on the way out. Easy peasy.
Are you sure that you were in a federal and not a state building?

I have done the locked drawer by the Statie at the Ashburton Place state office building.

I believe that federal buildings are staffed by either some flavor of federal police or contract security working for the feds, not MA State Troopers. But, my information on this may be incomplete.

As general rule (I am sure there are exceptions) the state facilities that have detectors and a gun ban will check your legal weapon, whereas the feds only extend this courtesy to LE who do not have federal jurisdiction and thus cannot carry in federal buildings (all part of the "my badge is more important than yours" posturing), but will not do this for civilians.

Are you sure that you were in a federal and not a state building?

I know it was the JFK Federal building, but as I mentioned it was several years ago, so it may have changed since then. I know that it was pre 1983 because I was still working in Boston at the time.

This is the short answer for most federal buildings/properties:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the question should be can I carry in a federal building.I should be how far can I get?

I don't think the question should be can I carry in a federal building.I should be how far can I get?

Let me put it this way- you're not getting past security at JFK with a weapon- unless you are a fed LEO (or are one of their armed guards).

I remember the good old days when I worked for Brinks. We walked in to any place armed,and would walk out in the street with our guns drawn. No one would give a shit.

Back
Top Bottom