HB1220 petition (NH state "non-instant" checks)

strangenh

NES Member
If you're a NH resident - please sign the petition in support of this bill:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/pass-hb1220-and-end-the-state-gunline-doing-nics-checks/

HB1220 is a NH House bill to:

1) Save the state money, and
2) Eliminate waste (see #1) and redundancy, by
3) Eliminating the state execution of the handgun background check since it is redundant, causes unnecessary delay, and is a holdover from the old Brady law and non-instant check system

More info: http://pgnh.org/legislative_alert_support_hb1220_at_hearing_tomorrow

The net result is handgun background checks would go straight to the fed NICS instant check line instead just like the long arms checks do.

NH residents... this needs to pass, unless you guys like hanging around at the gun dealer all weekend just to buy one handgun.

The current situation up there WRT handgun checks is pretty absurd right now.

Many may wonder why the system is the way it is now.... well, NH had devised this system a long time ago as a wallhack for the Brady BS so residents didn't have to be subject to a waiting period. The problem is the Brady waiting period BS went away, so the NH state system is rather duplicitous at this point and the wallhack is no longer needed.

-Mike

NH residents... this needs to pass, unless you guys like hanging around at the gun dealer all weekend just to buy one handgun.

The current situation up there WRT handgun checks is pretty absurd right now.

Many may wonder why the system is the way it is now.... well, NH had devised this system a long time ago as a wallhack for the Brady BS so residents didn't have to be subject to a waiting period. The problem is the Brady waiting period BS went away, so the NH state system is rather duplicitous at this point and the wallhack is no longer needed.

-Mike

I signed the petition, and agree this hold-over from the bad old days needs to go, but truth-in-advertising, it's never taken me more than 20 minutes to get a handgun approval through.

I signed the petition, and agree this hold-over from the bad old days needs to go, but truth-in-advertising, it's never taken me more than 20 minutes to get a handgun approval through.

Wish I could say the same. It seems to depend a lot on day of week, time of day, and whether there are any big events that day.

and GONH and PGNH can't get along again

GO-NH STRONGLY opposes this bill:

HB1220: This bill would eliminate the state firearms purchase approval line, forcing EVERY SALE to be checked exclusively by the Feds. Yes, the same Feds that run the TSA. The same Feds that created Operation Fast And Furious. The creators of a no-fly list with babies and 3 year olds on it. Those Feds.

Currently, firearms dealers call the State to get approval for handgun sales. If you are purchasing both a handgun AND a long gun, your dealer can get approval from the State without going to the Feds. HOWEVER, for long gun only purchases, your dealer MUST go to the Feds.

Why does this matter? Simply stated, if there is a problem with the State’s approval, you can find out why immediately in Concord, from a real person, and if necessary, petition the court for reconsideration. However, if you are disapproved by the Feds, you can't even hope to get an explanation of the reason for the disapproval, without surrendering your fingerprints (and we all know how accurate they aren't) and engaging in an expensive legal process. Where do you even go to ask why you were denied? Washington, D.C.?? Additionally, you could even practically be barred from purchasing firearms FOR LIFE, having no recourse to remove the restriction, simply because the Feds refuse to explain the disapproval, thus preventing you from fixing or challenging it. An additional problem is that, while firearms purchases in the state of NH h ave increased, the NH State Police have intentionally underfunded the firearms sale approval staff, which has needlessly caused law abiding citizens to wait up to four hours for firearms purchase approval. This has also negatively impacted small firearms businesses. Besides this, do you want the Feds to be your only source of approval for purchasing firearms? Didn't think so... (Hearing: Thursday, 26-Jan-2012 @ 1:00 P.M. LOB Rm 204, HOUSE CRIMINAL JUSTICE AND PUBLIC SAFETY)

and GONH and PGNH can't get along again
Seriously? If the state's rejection/hold is based on the federal-side result, won't the same problems apply?

Sometimes I think the groups oppose each others' bills as a matter of spite.

The last two times I've purchased handguns, the wait from the state Gun Line was measured in hours! If GONH doesn't think this is a problem, they can go jump off a bridge. It's extremely frustrating to have to sit around and twiddle your thumbs while people buying long guns are getting approved in minutes. I find myself wondering if the decline of the state gun line isn't intentional anti-gun agenda by someone at the NHSP. It certainly never used to be this bad.

The last two times I've purchased handguns, the wait from the state Gun Line was measured in hours! If GONH doesn't think this is a problem, they can go jump off a bridge. It's extremely frustrating to have to sit around and twiddle your thumbs while people buying long guns are getting approved in minutes. I find myself wondering if the decline of the state gun line isn't intentional anti-gun agenda by someone at the NHSP. It certainly never used to be this bad.

That's because people in NH prior to Obama and the Cates murder case weren't buying nearly as many handguns as they are now. It's pretty easy to see how the system could get overloaded. My bet is they laid someone off and never rehired them, that couple with hard demand, makes them unable to keep up.

NH doing pistol NICS checks is a relic of the past and has to go. It was a wallhack intended to be used during a short period of time to actually improve rights (in relative terms) for NH residents. It has now outlived its usefulness and it is more of a liability than a benefit.

-Mike

It all depends on when you buy the handgun. If you buy a handgun on a gun show weekend in NH, there is only a slim chance in hell you are getting approved in 20 minutes. I know dealers who have had delays as long as a day before the state calls them back.

Anything other than "the amount of time it takes the FFL to read the info off and the rep to put it in the computer and get a result while still on the phone" is unacceptable.

Hell a good FFL in MA can easily get you in and out of the store in under 20 minutes, and that includes TWO sets of paperwork, calling NICS, and playing "biometric fingerprint funhouse" with the MIRCS system. NH should be like a third of that.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom