Heading for Southern VT this weekend

Hi all.

We're going to resume our camping trips this weekend and we're going to be up in Jamaica State Park this weekend, along the West River. The fishing there is always good and the park is pretty nice. It's located on route 30 about 25 miles north of Burlington.

I'd just like to know if there are any gun shops in the area. We usually drive around the area to acclimate ourselves and if I just "happen" to find a shop my wife wouldn't mind if I stopped in to check out what's on the racks.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Rome

Well, I figured that was the case. I'm not completely familiar with the nomenclature of all the VT areas, Cad. Can you educate me about what you'd call that area? Central VT?

Derek, I fly fish. The West River is simply gorgeous there. You can do very well with a 5 weight. Last time I fished that I was landing trout on every other cast, no kidding. It really surprised me to tell you the truth. The river there has lots of pools and right now, with all the light rain we've had, there should be plenty of water.

Jamaica is where they run kayaks in the Spring from what I understand. The white water is supposed to be very attractive to that sport and the campsites are usually all filled during that event.

Rome

Rome,

No offense meant but if you think Burlington VT is in Southern VT, you need to buy a new compass! [wink]

Burlington is 95 miles from Montreal, Quebec! It's damn close to the Canadian border and on Lake Champlain.

On the way up or down, I suggest that you check out the following two places:

Farnsworth Ammo
2493 VT Route 22A
Vergennes, VT 05491
http://www.farnsworthammo.com/
Nickle (a member on NES) and Ira (his Father) run the place.

Another place to stop is:
John's Gun Shop
447 Brooklyn St
Morrisville, VT 05661
(802) 888-9814
http://www.johnsvtgunshop.com
Ask for Roy Ward or Grace Maniatty and tell them Len from NES sent you. Tell them I am a friend of Jim Conway's and we were all in Gabe Suarez's class in July of 2005 (they may not remember my name). Ask them to join us here on NES.

If you're even thinking of going into Canada, don't bring any guns/items with you and don't stop at these places until you're coming back towards home.

Have a great trip!

North of Burlington kind of southern Canada. Central VT would be the Barre and Montpelier, my in-laws live there. I don't think Jamaica is near Burlington. I think it is in southern VT and you might have Burlington confused with Brattleboro (guessing). My roomate from UVM was from around there.

I'M SORRY!! I'm, Sorry!!!

I had a brain fart and type "Burlington" instead of "Brattleboro". I'm sorry. I can't believe I did that but there it is.

My daughter even graduated from Dartmouth and I certainly now my way 'round the area but I did just let my lazy brain cells type the wrong city.

Jamaica VT is 25 North of Brattleboro, NOT Burlington. Duh.

So beat me up for that mistake. I deserve it!

Rome

Back
Top Bottom