Headspace and Go/No Go Gauges

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Hi Y'all,

Finally putting together a full AR build. Doing a lot of homework on headspace, as I'm attempting to do my first barrel/upper/BCG build instead of buying a complete upper. I know headspace is important when building from separate company parts. So the question is, do you always use go/no-go gauges? I currently don't have any, but figured they're probably worth it. I suppose I won't be as concerned if this was all parts from the same company, but of the three I mentioned, they are all different. Part of that is just current sourcing. Part is pricing. Just want to hear the consensus. It's not exactly breaking the bank to buy the gauges, but stings a little after buying all the build parts. Probably stings less than an exploding receiver though.

Cool. Everything is packed up for the next couple weeks, until I move. If you magically find everything and need it before, say mid-August, it'll take a minute to dig out. That said, PM me and we can make a hand off

Thanks! I may take you up on that. That is, if I can ever source the parts I want. I heard BCG's are scarce now, but I didn't really know exactly how scarce until I started looking myself.
key word "want" There are places to get BCG and many other parts. If your looking for brand/model specific then that different.
you really dont need "gauges" if your putting together new parts that are made to spec. Unless your going to be installing your own barrel extension and reaming your own chambers.
They are nice to have though

key word "want" There are places to get BCG and many other parts. If your looking for brand/model specific then that different.
you really dont need "gauges" if your putting together new parts that are made to spec. Unless your going to be installing your own barrel extension and reaming your own chambers.
They are nice to have though

Yeah, I may need to make some compromises between what I really wanted and what I can find if I want to shoot this thing before the year is over. I was originally planning a full on gucci high end build, but look like that's not going to happen now. There are parts out there, but it's a hodge podge of brands. Some good, some average, some no-name generic.

Regarding the gauges--are you saying that as long as the barrel has a factor extension and everything comes from reputable factories, head space shouldn't be much of an issue?

Regarding the gauges--are you saying that as long as the barrel has a factor extension and everything comes from reputable factories, head space shouldn't be much of an issue?
For ARs, this is basically true. As long as none of your parts were made in a rush, at the end of the shift, at the end of the week, in the middle of a global shortage that could result in less thorough QC than normal...you should be able to slap it together and go. That's what "in spec" actually means.

And you can confirm that the parts that stand between your face and an explosion are, at least nominally, in (dimensional) spec with gauges.

Last edited:
Yeah, I may need to make some compromises between what I really wanted and what I can find if I want to shoot this thing before the year is over. I was originally planning a full on gucci high end build, but look like that's not going to happen now. There are parts out there, but it's a hodge podge of brands. Some good, some average, some no-name generic.

Yes

For ARs, this is basically true. As long as none of your parts were made in a rush, at the end of the shift, at the end of the week, in the middle of a global shortage that could result in less thorough QC than normal...you should be able to slap it together and go. That's what "in spec" actually means.

And you can confirm that the parts that stand between your face and an explosion are, at least nominally, in (dimensional) spec with gauges.

Sorry but that's just completely unfounded paranoia. ^^^^^^^^

Back
Top Bottom