• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hearing protection

I tried searching for hearing protection. Looking for recommendations on what to use? Are the full set of hearing protection better then the ones you stick in your ears?

I tried searching for hearing protection. Looking for recommendations on what to use? Are the full set of hearing protection better then the ones you stick in your ears?

Generally speaking you want comfort and high NRR. If you do a lot of rifle shooting muffs can be a pain, otherwise muffs are probably bets bang for buck. Basic Peltor Optime 105 muffs are hard to beat for their price ($20 and 30NRR). I shoot around guys with loud guns so I won't bother with anything under 28 or so and sometimes use plugs and muffs If I am shooting indoors. Custom fit plugs are really nice and run right about $100 or less. You can get decent muffs for $20 or so. Put more $ into them and you can get electronic muffs with decent NRR that also let hear peoples voices just fine.

I use the custom fit that I get from my audiologist. They want to see 35 to 40 Db noise reduction when they do the hearing test and fitting.
We shoot a lot of trap and these are comfortable, far cooler than muffs, have greater sound reduction capabilities due to the fact that your glasses and hair are not causing an air gap, and they are available in a wide range of colors so you can match them with your gun! In the rare circumstance that there is a REALLY loud gun near you, muffs can be worn over these for added protection.

Always wear muffs over plugs if you're shooting indoors. 24NRR minimum for outdoors, 28+ is better. 30NRR minimum for indoors.

Always wear muffs over plugs if you're shooting indoors. 24NRR minimum for outdoors, 28+ is better. 30NRR minimum for indoors.
This, this, this.
With electronic ear muffs and foam ear plugs you turn up the volume and you can hold a conversation and hear range commands, but you are deaf to the muzzle report. This is what I do to protect what's left of my hearing.

I used the Howard Leight impact sport sound for a while, but just ditched them for Peltor Tactical 500's.
The 500 are wicked pricey but offer awesome protection and are bluetooth compatible which is awesome.
The 100's and 300's are also great.
[h=1][/h]

I've been using the Howard leight electronic ones for about 2 years. Through that time I have been to the range 2-3 times a week on average. Not long sessions......couple rounds of trap or 45 minutes to an hour with the rifles or handguns......slow fire though.......shoot a bit then shoot the breeze a bit then shoot a bit. Never felt like I needed more protection for my hearing.

10 weeks ago I started running the plate shoot practice sessions as rso. I now now spend a 3 hour session running the timer for centerfire handgun. This is one night per week. Constant and non stop firing the whole 3 hours. My ears were ringing when I got home the other night. I will be doubling up this coming week......foam plugs then the electronic muffs.

The duration of the exposure plays a role in choice of protection as well I have come to learn.

Last edited:
Depends on what you're shooting. I shoot Trap, and muffs are very rare on the Trap line - they get in the way, when you mount the gun.

Not the Peltor Tactical 100, at least for me. I have been using this model and an older Peltor electronic model shooting Trap for 10 years or so.

Not the Peltor Tactical 100, at least for me. I have been using this model and an older Peltor electronic model shooting Trap for 10 years or so.

Same here. Howard Leigh model.......does not interfere at all with mounting the shotgun. They are thin. I see many folks using these for trap and skeet. But yeah many still use custom plugs on the trap line.

I used the Howard Leight impact sport sound for a while, but just ditched them for Peltor Tactical 500's.
The 500 are wicked pricey but offer awesome protection and are bluetooth compatible which is awesome.
The 100's and 300's are also great.
[h=1][/h]
You're the first to get these that I've read about. They look interesting. Can you do a review?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use the custom fit that I get from my audiologist. They want to see 35 to 40 Db noise reduction when they do the hearing test and fitting.
We shoot a lot of trap and these are comfortable, far cooler than muffs, have greater sound reduction capabilities due to the fact that your glasses and hair are not causing an air gap, and they are available in a wide range of colors so you can match them with your gun! In the rare circumstance that there is a REALLY loud gun near you, muffs can be worn over these for added protection.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Muffs alone leave my ears ringing; possibly because I'm wearing goggles over glasses.
I'm very happy with Otis Ear Shield 31 DB NRR (there is a lower NRR version). These allow normal conversation even though they're not electronic, are more compact than muffs, and faster than foam plugs. I use them with power tools as well as at range and keep a set as part of HD setup.

Indoor the intensity of noise exposure is magnified by the enclosed space and hard surfaces compared to outdoors. Remember sound is tiny little waves flowing around you like water. What is safe outdoors may be insufficient indoors. Your ears might not hurt from insufficient protection, but damage is being done at the far range of your hearing and that adds up to disastrous effect later in life.

Two layers also protect you with redundancy if one layer loses a seal from sweat or movement.

I go foam ear plugs (33db NRR) plus 3M muffs most of the time. Other may go less conservative but I don't take chances.

Don't mess around with your ears. I'm in my 20s and already have pretty bad tinnitus in both ears (not shooting related, luckily no hearing loss). Let me tell you, all anyone would have to do to torture me is leave me in a silent room for a an extended period of time, I would go mad within a few hours tops. You don't miss the experience of complete silence until its gone forever. Trust me, you don't want this shit down the line just because you skimped on hearing protecting at the range.

PROTECT THOSE EARS AT ALL COSTS! Whether it be shooting or a super loud concert, always be aware and do all you can to reduce the noise to a safe level while continuing to enjoy the experience.

Back
Top Bottom