Hello from newbie and musket question.

Hey everybody,

A buddy of mine suggested I come join the fun here [grin]. I'm just getting started in the hobby, working on getting my LTC, and all that. Anyway, I've got a (modern repro) musket that I've had sitting around for years and I thought it would be fun to get it out and see what it's all about. Anybody know a good place in central MA to learn about shooting and caring for such a weapon?

Howdy.....
I shot CW era Rifle-muskets and carbines competitively for years. Not the best, though I learned from some of the best. Probably ran 20,000 rounds down the tube in 15 years.
Also, the New England Region of the North-South Skirmish Association, one of the busiest in the country has members all around you.
Whaddaya need to know?
Either keep the thread going for the benefit of all or PM me.....whatever is easiest for ya!

CJC

Thanks for the welcome Matt, and CJC thanks for the reply. I've got a million questions, like is it even safe to fire given that it's been neglected for years, how to get the thing apart for cleaning, what kind of ammo do I use and where do I get it, what kind of accuracy should I expect, where's a good place to go shoot it, etc. But mainly I want to know if there's anybody around that could give me some hands-on training with it.

Not sure where abouts you are, but when I lived in western Mass, I frequently shot at Westfield Sportsman's Club . Quite a few muzzleloader shooters there & a friendly bunch of guys.

As far as safety goes, given that it's a modern muzzleloader, there hopefully shouldn't be any issues.. Just check the exterior of the barrel for rot/holes/cracks, etc... Find yourself a bore light, or a very bright light that'll allow you to see down inside the barrel. Check for rust.

As far as cleaning goes, get yourself some black powder bore cleaner, bore butter & some cleaning patches.

Slide a cleaning patch on end of cleaning rod or ramrod with attachment, dip it in the bore cleaner. Stick the rod in the barrel & slide patch to bottom of barrel til it hits the breach & pull back out, slowly so that you're cleaning.

now remove patch & repeat this process until patch comes out clean.

Next, take a patch & rub it up with bore butter & coat the inside or barrel a couple time to lube it & protect it from future fowling as well as moisture/humidity/rust.

As far as loading, you'll need either black power or pyrodex pellets, as well as lead balls or sabbots & patches.. the patches are not same as those for cleaning, these are bullet patches.. use prelubed as it helps with cleaning, loading, etc....

For black powder, I usually go with elephant or Goex. You'll need a powder measure & a bullet starter too... slowly pour powder into your powder measure til it contains the amount of grains to match your caliber.. let's assume it's a .50, so on powder measure there's supposed to be a line to tell you where 50 grains is,, fill it to that line.. next, put that powder down the barrel... next step is the lead ball & patch. Put patch under ball & put ball at top of barrel.. patch first with ball on top of it.. (or sabbot).. it won't just goe in, you need to tap it with your bullet starter, once it's in the barrel, insert ramrod & ram it home. You are now charged.

Next, when ready to fire and ONLY WHEN READY TO FIRE, you will place a percussion cap on the nipple. Watch the hammer so that you do not accidentally fire.. KEEP YOUR FINGERS OFF TRIGGER AT ALL TIMES UNTIL READY TO FIRE. Once percussion cap is on nipple, you are ready to fire.
(Unless of course it's a flintlock, then that's a whole different method)

Aim down range, cock hammer & now you can fire.

Now take a cleaning patch with some bore cleaner & do a quick wipe after every single shot. At end of day, do a cleaning & re-lube..

As far as pyrodex goes, simplifies things a bit.. these are premeasured powder pellets in given calibers.. you just drop em in then do the patch & ball.

If western mass isn't too far, I'd reccomend Nicks Sporting Shop in Palmer, he has powder, balls, cleaning supplies, tools, everything you need & the staff are nice helpful folks & I'm sure they'll answer any questions you have.,

Muzzleloading is fun, isn't too difficult to learn & I'm more than certain you'll have it all down after trying your first couple rounds, although there's various methods depending on various things, but method I gave is the simplest.

If you are anywhere near Warren (which would also put you near Nick's in Palmer. I would be happy to arrange some range time. Let me know what caliber you're shooting too. PM if you wish.

Hey everybody,

A buddy of mine suggested I come join the fun here [grin]. I'm just getting started in the hobby, working on getting my LTC, and all that. Anyway, I've got a (modern repro) musket that I've had sitting around for years and I thought it would be fun to get it out and see what it's all about. Anybody know a good place in central MA to learn about shooting and caring for such a weapon?

I'm in metrowest, and my club Woburn Sportsman's Assoc.) has a (mostly) dedicated black powder range. I'd be happy to meet you there some Sunday and go through the drill with you. I used to me an active member of the First Congress of New England Muzzle Loaders, and went to most of their local rendezvous. [grin]

By the way, is that a 328?

Make sure when you get all the necessary equipment that you don't shop someplace that lists every purchase with its name. You'll have a lot of questions to answer when a receipt is found with: nipple wrench w/ nipple pick, ball starter, ball puller, ramrod, nipples (pack of 3), etc, etc.

Don't ask me how I know.

Make sure when you get all the necessary equipment that you don't shop someplace that lists every purchase with its name. You'll have a lot of questions to answer when a receipt is found with: nipple wrench w/ nipple pick, ball starter, ball puller, ramrod, nipples (pack of 3), etc, etc.

LOL. Thanks for the advice [smile]

Back
Top Bottom