Help/Advice - Looking to try IDPA competition

I recently took a two day class on IDPA. Safety was drilled in to our heads relentlessly. But so was having fun and the fact that it is a game.

To the OP, just go try it and enjoy. Just be safe. I predict you will be hooked. [smile]

you can always just go to one and watch them first also.

not everyone is useing the same stuff, you might as well see it in use before you buy.

wait thats no fun

you can show up with a holster. stuff a few magazines in your pocket.. give yourself a wedgi and reload a cell phone.

Come on guys give it a break! There are rules in place for a good reason and they were set forth to insure to make this a safe and fun activity. Also to make sure the gun grabbers don't have more ammo( no pun intended) against us. Some folks don't agree and don't abide and if thats their view so be it. But when it comes to safety it takes priority over anyones opinion!

I haven't said that anyone shouldn't be safe in their firearms handling. IDPA is all about "real world" defensive shooting, right? I'm just supporting Jose's idea that some of the rules are stupid, and make a non-midlife crisis shooter on a two way range less safe.

wait thats no fun

you can show up with a holster. stuff a few magazines in your pocket.. give yourself a wedgi and reload a cell phone.

Capt. Walt?

IDPA is all about "real world" defensive shooting, right?

Not 100% "all about" IMO. Below are a few snippets from idpa.com that support what IDPA is IMO.

Real world scenarios, yes agreed. IDPA stage descriptions should be designed around something that could happen in real life. You will not see stage scenarios that are unrealistic, such as zombies attack stage, aliens from mars etc...

Although a zombie stage would be cool, and some of us did set one up privately, round counts were totally not IDPA legal.. But after all it is game..

The International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) is the governing body of a shooting sport that simulates self-defense scenarios and real life encounters.

The main goal is to test the skill and ability of the individual, not equipment or gamesmanship. “Competition only” equipment is not permitted in this sport.

The founders developed the sport so that practical gear and practical guns may be used competitively.

I would argue that many stages aren't real world... but it's a sport that should help with your gun handling skills that would help in a potential real life scenario.

I would argue that many stages aren't real world... but it's a sport that should help with your gun handling skills that would help in a potential real life scenario.

Agree 100%. Michael Phelps trains and competes in a sport, but if I were drowning in the real world, he's well equipped to come to my aid. I'm not at all worried that he will wait for a start gun, or that when he reaches me, he'll flip-turn and swim away.

You will not see stage scenarios that are unrealistic, such as zombies attack stage

I'm crushed. [sad]

zombie.gif

As Amazon stated start out by taking the IDPA Class as it will provide a wealth of knowledge! As far as what rule is stupid or not, if you think a certian rule is dumb or overboard bring it up to IDPA on the website and make a better suggestion. IDPA shooting is the best training a civilian or LEO for that matter can get for a simple match fee. As Lugnut stated it is excellent to hone your gun carrying and use skill such as clearing jams, reloads etc. Thats what will possibly save your life and loved ones some day. As far as Mike Phelps it depends how many wacky weed butts he's smoked if he even knows your in trouble!!!!

Capt. Walt?

i remember the screen name from way back on another forum, he always seemed to be a nice guy?

but how is that capt. walt? it mentioned nothing about fixing a boat. i was searching craigs list last year for a boat and seen him get ripped on there by someone, it was bad.

Not 100% "all about" IMO.

Fair enough.

Agree 100%. Michael Phelps trains and competes in a sport, but if I were drowning in the real world, he's well equipped to come to my aid. I'm not at all worried that he will wait for a start gun, or that when he reaches me, he'll flip-turn and swim away.

Swimming in a race and safely rescuing a drowning swimmer are two very, very different things. Poorly trained rescuer = victim #2.

IDPA shooting is the best training a civilian or LEO for that matter can get for a simple match fee.

Competition shooting is not training.

but how is that capt. walt?

It was a little bit out there, and even after reading it 6 times I don't know what you meant.

this multi quote stuff is intresting!!!

listen, just use a treble hook and snag em.

How do you train? do you practice standing in the corner of your bedroom screaming you have a gun, who the #### is there.

what I meant was, never mind.

How do you train? do you practice standing in the corner of your bedroom screaming you have a gun, who the #### is there.

This reminded me of this:

There is an intruder - male, Caucasian, possibly armed, certainly weird - in my kitchen... M-my-my-my name is Bueller...

Excuse me: if whoever was in this house is still in the house, I'd like you to know that I've just called the police. I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* case of herpes.

[laugh]

Competition shooting is not training.
This is absolutely true, but is by no means an argument against competition shooting. Things learned in competition have done at least as much to advance the state of the art as the Greats like Jeff Cooper or Bill Jordan.

This is absolutely true, but is by no means an argument against competition shooting. Things learned in competition have done at least as much to advance the state of the art as the Greats like Jeff Cooper or Bill Jordan.

I agree with you 100%. But I see a lot of people on here who don't understand that for all it's benefits, it is not training.

Being DQ'd by some dick isn't the end of the world.

I reload an empty gun on the move while outside of cover IF I RUN OUT WHILE EXPOSED because that is what common sense dictates. IDPA rules say you can't do that.

Well, guess what. I do it anyway. If some dude gets a stiffy from giving me a procedural or FTDR, I don't care.

This reminded me of a previous post of yours on the subject that I think hit the nail right on the head, and how the actions put into practice hundreds of times at the range will be what you automatically do when the top 2/3's of your brain shuts down.

Slight thread highjack but here it goes.

I carry and compete mostly with wheelguns and that above is precisely why I will gladly take a procedural in an IDPA match for dumping rounds on the ground. I simply will not condition myself for failure.

IDPA revolver rules were evidently written by people who have never studied gunfights from the old days.

/beating a dead horse

any recommendations on ammo? is WWB generally accepted or am I scraping the bottom of the barrel (or maybe Rem UMC bulk)?

any recommendations on ammo? is WWB generally accepted or am I scraping the bottom of the barrel (or maybe Rem UMC bulk)?

The accuracy demands of IDPA are pretty loose.

If it works in your gun, shoot it. Bullseye this ain't.

i appreciate all the feedback. looks like I am in decent shape for at least a practice. i have my wilderness belt on order, and I may actually get it before the practice monday. im going to go with a blackhawk serpa level two, but I am going to disable the serpa retainer to make it easier to draw, so I am not completely fumbling my first go at it. have my mags all ready just need to get some mag holsters, which are surprisingly difficult to find?? lucky for me I know the people of NES are generous fols and I believe a friend of mine may actually bring an extra mag holster for me to practice with. ammo is more than covered since I stopped into wally world and just bought one of each 40s&w box I could (it was all they had anyway!)

hope i dont enjoy it TOO much... otherwise I will need another job to help fund my new addicition!!

have my mags all ready just need to get some mag holsters, which are surprisingly difficult to find??

Contact Mike Briggs at New England Tactical. He's a stocking comp-tac dealer and will get it out priority mail if he has them in stock. He's hooked me up with M&P belt holster/mags and a flashlight holster very quickly with lower shippings costs than Comp-tac charges.

hope i dont enjoy it TOO much... otherwise I will need another job to help fund my new addicition!!
Trust me, you'll enjoy it [smile]. You just have start reloading and become an SO to feed your addiction [wink].

Trust me, you'll enjoy it [smile]. You just have start reloading and become an SO to feed your addiction [wink].

thanks for the support ![laugh] I am sure my girlfriend will appreciate some time to herself to watch her shows while I am hooked on IDPA.

anyone here planning on attending the Monday night practice at HSC?

thanks for the support ![laugh] I am sure my girlfriend will appreciate some time to herself to watch her shows while I am hooked on IDPA.

She can always come along and shoot. My wife has shot a couple of matches but she lacks to passion that I have. She's not interested in shooting if it's too hot or too cold or if it is raining.

iim going to go with a blackhawk serpa level two, but I am going to disable the serpa retainer to make it easier to draw, so I am not completely fumbling my first go at it.

Why not just buy a good holster to start with instead of modifying a crappy one?

Why not just buy a good holster to start with instead of modifying a crappy one?

+1 I, for the life of me, cannot understand the attraction new shooters have to Blackhawk junk.

Not to mention that IDPA does NOT allow you to disable (or not use) retention devices that come with your holster or ammo carriers.

I don't see what the big deal is with the Blackhawk. I see no inherent flaws with using one. I am not claiming it is the best holster by any means as I have zero experience, but I can't see why it wouldn't work for IDPA. I have heard NUMEROUS members here slam the blackhawk, but have never heard real reasoning behind why it is held in such low regards.

Without flaming me on this, I am asking a serious and legit question. Why do a lot of members here look down their noses at the Blackhawk?

Back
Top Bottom