• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help Me Narrow Down My CCW Choices. Pick Out Your Most Hated.

Hello,

I'm working on a rather intensive process to decide on my first CCW (I like to do my research.) after narrowing down my spreadsheet of options from over 50 to 22. At this point, I'm trying to get it down a little further so I can really start to test out these guns. Just to clarify, I am absolutely taking the grip and how I shoot it into account; my first choice will be what I shoot best. However, I can't efficiently test this many guns with friends or rental ranges to my satisfaction with the time and ammo budget I have. I've been picking off individual models for a while, but now I am looking for some help to narrow things down.

Basically, what I'm asking for is to tell me what things you absolutely hate about any of the guns (or brands) I have listed. Anything that you've heard or experienced that you think I should take into account before buying. (Or maybe just something you that you think is bad for concealed carry.) Take another opportunity to rant on the internet about your least favorite products; I hope the comment section gets messy. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Here's my list (All 9mm by the way):

Glock 45

Glock 19

Glock 48

Glock 43X

Sig Sauer M18

Sig Sauer P320 XCompact

Sig Sauer P365 XL

CZ P-07

CZ P-10

FN 509

FN FNX-9

Beretta APX & APX Compact

Steyr C9-A2 MF

Walther PDP Compact

Walther PPQ M2

Walther CCP M2

S&W M&P M2.0 Compact & Subcompact

H&K VP9

H&K P30

H&K USP Compact

For the free state of Maine by the way. (Edit: Okay, for the more-free-than-Massachusetts state of Maine.)

Last edited:
I dislike the block like design of the Glock, the G19 is one of the guns I wanted to hate, when I get some cash I am going to get the slide milled and an RMR and go back to carrying it over the P320, there is nothing wrong with the P320 and probably will have a tough time quiting it especially now that I have the Wilson Combat grip module.
I want to try the P365X as a carry piece, I have fired it and it was pretty sweet. I will say I am a fan of red dots on pistols due to my eyes getting older

That's a long list. Step outside and make some friends, try their guns out. See what feels good, and go from there.

All this thread is going to do is bring out the sig fags. Buy a 365, buy a 320. They are so much better than a Glock. It feels so good when I wrap my soft hand around the grip.

Don't forget the CZ snobs either, they will start chiming in. Along with the HK people, telling you to stop being poor, and buy an HK.

Hello,

I'm working on a rather intensive process to decide on my first CCW (I like to do my research.) after narrowing down my spreadsheet of options from over 50 to 22. At this point, I'm trying to get it down a little further so I can really start to test out these guns. Just to clarify, I am absolutely taking the grip and how I shoot it into account; my first choice will be what I shoot best. However, I can't efficiently test this many guns with friends or rental ranges to my satisfaction with the time and ammo budget I have. I've been picking off individual models for a while, but now I am looking for some help to narrow things down.

Basically, what I'm asking for is to tell me what things you absolutely hate about any of the guns (or brands) I have listed. Anything that you've heard or experienced that you think I should take into account before buying. (Or maybe just something you that you think is bad for concealed carry.) Take another opportunity to rant on the internet about your least favorite products; I hope the comment section get's messy. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Glock 45

Glock 19

Glock 48

Glock 43X

Sig Sauer M18

Sig Sauer P320 XCompact

Sig Sauer P365 XL

CZ P-07

CZ P-10

FN 509

FN FNX-9

Steyr C9-A2 MF

Walther PDP Compact

Walther PPQ M2

Walther CCP M2

H&K VP9

H&K P30

H&K USP Compact

For the free state of Maine by the way.
My wife uses the Glock 19 Gen4. I use the Glock 26 Gen4. Both are excellent handguns if you want a 9mm. We have restricted MA LTCs and use these weapons for home defense purposes, not concealed carry, but the Glock 26 is a subcompact that conceals easily under even light summer clothing.

If you have small hands or are looking to carry concealed in the short term, go for the 48 because it's slimmer so you'll worry about printing less.

If you're average sized or larger, go for the 19 or the 45. More capacity, more common, more accessories available (specifically holsters) without getting that much bigger.

Is Glock the best on the market? No. It doesn't matter. They're inexpensive and reliable, and easy to sell if you move on from it.

If you try the Glocks and they feel unworkably awkward, I'd try the 365XL next. For the same reasons as above. Good capacity, fits a lot of hands, easy to conceal, lots of holster options.

Better to have a gun now that you train with than spend the time and money trying a bunch of guns. If you get into shooting, it won't be your last.

Not to hijack the thread, but ME is #48 on this list of free states right before CA and NY.

48. Maine

Pros: Nice views, beautiful landscape, and food trucks. (I’m really trying here.)

Cons: Maine only has medical vaccine exemptions, heavily regulates homeschooling, has a high cost of living, a tyrannical governor, poor second amendment protections, and isn’t an ideal place for someone who wants minimal government intervention and values medical freedoms to live.

Raw Score:
Vaccine exemptions: 1
Homeschooling regulation: 4
Second amendment: 2
Political Ideology: 1
Governor: 1
Covid19 Response: 4
Personal reviews: 2
Cost of living: 2

BTW, I'm a revolver guy so I have no nickles in this quarter WRT a 9mm EDC.

My suggestion would be a .38 snubby for EDC, FWIIW.

Last edited:
Hello,

Basically, what I'm asking for is to tell me what things you absolutely hate about any of the guns (or brands) I have listed. Anything that you've heard or experienced that you think I should take into account before buying. (Or maybe just something you that you think is bad for concealed carry.) Take another opportunity to rant on the internet about your least favorite products; I hope the comment section get's messy. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Glock 45

Glock 19

Glock 48

Glock 43X

Sig Sauer M18

Sig Sauer P320 XCompact

Sig Sauer P365 XL

CZ P-07

CZ P-10

FN 509

FN FNX-9

Steyr C9-A2 MF

Walther PDP Compact

Walther PPQ M2

Walther CCP M2

H&K VP9

H&K P30

H&K USP Compact

Personally a Flobart Parlor Rifle needs to be on your list. You said “pick out your most hated” [smile]

You are in a free state so all else being equal...(you are not going to get raped on the price of a Glock) you need to figure out what fits your hands, There are people who can't get used to a Glock's grip to bore angle.

Personally I am a fan of the 43X, about the same size as a 19, but slightly narrower. For EDC it would be my personal choice.
The only downside is you are in the 10+1 ammo capacity area and the 43X magazines are not universally swappable into other Glocks.

If you not worried about printing, don't mind a width of a dual stack, want to be able to go 15+ 1, or 17+1 with extended floor plates, and have way more choices for holsters and accessories, then the G19 would be my personal second choice. Plus you can use those super killy 33 round magazines in them!
I carried a G19 for a few years and I liked it more than the G26... at the time the 43X was not even thought of.

YMMV

That's a long list. Step outside and make some friends, try their guns out. See what feels good, and go from there.

All this thread is going to do is bring out the sig fags. Buy a 365, buy a 320. They are so much better than a Glock. It feels so good when I wrap my soft hand around the grip.

Don't forget the CZ snobs either, they will start chiming in. Along with the HK people, telling you to stop being poor, and buy an HK.
Like Glock fan boys are much better.

1635601422945.png

As other posters may have already replied… You are overthinking it. Go to a gun store (best during off hours) and ask to fondle a whole bunch of guns. Some will feel great, others not so much. If you can rent some, even better.

But again, don’t overthink it. You will probably own half that list after a few years in the hobby anyway.

edit: in regards to your list; it is a pretty solid list. All those guns should be reliable and accurate.

The Walthers would not be an option for me, as they take a special tool to field strip. Never owned or shot (or even seen IRL for that matter), but it sounds like a PITA to find holsters/spare mags/parts.

I have Sigs a nice Walther PPS 2 and a John Langdon Beretta 92 just to name a few.
The easiest for me to conceal and point and shoot accurately is my little Sig .380 Equinox.
It's tiny = easily concealable and accurate for me. And that's where I ended up for a daily carry after 6 years and thousands of dollars of pistols holsters and ammo. The whole thing is a very exciting some what pricey journey. Have fun with it.

The Walthers would not be an option for me, as they take a special tool to field strip. Never owned or shot (or even seen IRL for that matter), but it sounds like a PITA to find holsters/spare mags/parts.
I can co-sign on that. I reciently got a p99 (f’ing awesome gun, makes me a better shooter) but was an absolute nightmare finding a holster. I was getting to the point where i was considering a custom made holster from Hague leatherworks in Fall River. Anywho, as a hailmary I tried amazon and found a left handed OWB safariland holster that fits S&W p99. On sale! Fingers crossed it will fit.

We know nothing about you, OP. Why would you want us to help you pick out something as important as a carry piece?

1. Go to an LGS.
2. Pick up and hold a bunch of handguns. Point them safely to see which one lines up best for you.
3. Buy that gun.
4. Shoot that gun. If you don't like it, sell it and go back to step 1.
5. Repeat as needed.

As for 380 I don't know if that is a gun I would be carrying in Maine . lots of heavy clothing up there not a lot of penetration. lethality is not as good as a 9 in my humble opinion. Here in Florida though it is a very popular round

Back
Top Bottom