• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me pick another optic ...........

icyclefar

NES Member
I've decide to buy another optic for an AR15, the purpose of this one will be dead on shots from 100 to 300 yards. I'm not looking for a competition grade, I'm jusk looking to bring the plinking to the next level.

My other .223 cal weapons have Eotech's on them, and they are fantastic for plinking. I'm looking for something that can dial me in to the plus or minus a couple of inches range, and preferably without breaking the bank. I just want simple, rugged, and able to reliably hit a soda can at 100 yards without error. Can this be had ....... mounted to a flat top for $200 - $400?

You'll get varying opinions for sure - from high to low end. I have both on my AR and they're both great. I think the advantage with the 5.56 is it's light recoil - you need a scope that's robust enough to withstand bumps and drops more than recoil. I have a carryhandle mounted Eurolux 4x on my Colt and it's been nothing short of superb. Bullet drop compensator, clear optical view, holds zero and has been beaten for years. Cost? $40-bucks. Problem it, it's carry handle mount. The other suggestion is from Leapers - I have no first hand experience with these scopes, but someone I met on the range had their T-168, (?) on his AR and loves it. Said he had a couple thousand rounds through it and it was holding up well....

+1 Supersniper. Look at the side focus model for an extra $100 if you plan on shooting at varying distances.
My only disapointment was that they are no longer made in the USA. Mine was marked Made in Japan. Still OK and better than Taiwan or China, but for the price still great. I think German optics are the best, followed by US made, and closely behind that the Japanese.

Last edited:
Another vote for the super sniper here also. They eye relief is great. I had opted for the side focus model for shooting at 100-300 yards. It has some serious chromatic aberrations, but to get rid of that you would have to tack on about another grand or so in price.

I had a Super Sniper for my PSS 700 before The Man Who Has Everything bought it. I never had the time to mount it or fire that gun but the glass was nice.

I currently have an IOR Valdada M1 4x for my M1A. There is a version for .223 with a different model number with the same tube/glass but a different BDC so the range dials work out. I have the Dragunov reticle for fun, but if I had to do it over again, I'd probably get their mil-based reticle (lines instead of dots) because it's a lot more useful if you learn the mil system.

Fixed 4x is plenty good for the ranges you talk about. Super Sniper was fixed 10x. I never shot with it, but wouldn't that be a little much for aiming at 100 yards? I'll leave that to others to actually answer... I don't know.

Derek also has the Super Sniper.

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 fixed 10x that I've moved through various guns of varying calibers (8MM, .308, .223) that has held up very well.
It has decent glass, target knobs for easy adjusting with gloves on and a mil dot reticle to help compensate for bullet drop. If I remember
correctly, I paid about $160 delivered about 3-4 years ago. It's a decent scope for the money.

J

Back
Top Bottom