• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

help me with M1 postal match...a little fun.

mac1911

NES Member
Ok so a little fun. The postal match is going to be a stepping stone in my cast loads for M1 garand.
Anyone can play. NES'rs get to choose my first bullet trial.
It will be between the Lyman 200 grain on the left and the Ranch Dog 165 grain on the right.
Just post Lyman or Ranch Dog. I will be using just enough H4895 powder to cycle the action some where between 36.5 and 38 grains. The rifle will be A HRA with new Cmp wood stock and TE of 3 and a ME of 2+ per Cmp hang tag.

I will let this run until I'm ready to load them. I will load 20 rounds. 10 will be used for function test and zeroing. Then 10 for score.
More fun is I will also load 20 rounds of the "other" bullet then shoot those for a score but not for the postal match. There will be a Karma for the "Best" group in MOA those that are in the best group will be entered into a karma give away at the end of this.
YMGRfO4.jpg

Last edited:
Lyman, 200gr seems the rarer beast.

I'm also going to load up 20 rounds tonight for a first go at a target. Not cast, of course.

Ranch Dog to better suit the twist rate of the barrel, make the loaded rifle lighter and more balanced, it conserves lead and the flat tip makes it easier to drill out for insertion of a depleted uranium core... plus, I like the name.

Ranch Dog to better suit the twist rate of the barrel, make the loaded rifle lighter and more balanced, it conserves lead and the flat tip makes it easier to drill out for insertion of a depleted uranium core... plus, I like the name.

It also makes a nice clean hole in the paper and the smack report on the paper is loader than the muzzle report!

Everyone should shoot these at Pembroke so I'll know when to pull targets, LOL.

That's what Dave said he knew when I shot by the smmwhack sound on the target.
As long as I have lead and I can hold the 10 ring I will use cast for Cmp in every gun that will function 100%.
Puszzy loads are fun and get some people all worked up.

Last edited:
Ranch dog, dawg. I think it'll shoot more accurately/softer out of a Garand...no real need for the 200 at that distance to punch paper. It'll be fun to see the results.

oh, and I have a .30 cal muzzle wear gauge if you want me to bring it to the next match?

Ranch dog, dawg. I think it'll shoot more accurately/softer out of a Garand...no real need for the 200 at that distance to punch paper. It'll be fun to see the results.

oh, and I have a .30 cal muzzle wear gauge if you want me to bring it to the next match?

MW gauge not needed.... garands are funny animals I had a LMR barrel with cmp and gauged by others of 1 and 1 that shot like shit....could not get better than 4 moa no matter what. I might some day reinstall it on a rusted out bore if I come across one.

- - - Updated - - -

it will be interesting to see if they( ranch dogs) feed reliably

OK so after 447 views we have a winner for the cast load to be used in the postal match.
3 votes went to the Ranchdog
2 votes went to the Lyman

I will be posting more info in the reloading section and post my score in the postal match section.

5 sighters and 10 for score.
DkJWZRt.jpg

wouldn't wanna be on the receiving end of either...i know that much!

looks like someone else repurposes coffee containers.

The flash does nor penetrate the darkness of my crack in the wall reloading room so most pics are on the kitchen counter or on the deck.
Im a lazy SOB thats my instant [puke] coffee is my go to on the run.... I dont buy coffee at coffe shops. When i can take the time i use a french press with what ever whole bean coffee I happen to try.
I have more Baby formula containers and cat little buckets for repurposed storage....honestly though I just dump everything in a pile

The flash does nor penetrate the darkness of my crack in the wall reloading room so most pics are on the kitchen counter or on the deck.
Im a lazy SOB thats my instant [puke] coffee is my go to on the run.... I dont buy coffee at coffe shops. When i can take the time i use a french press with what ever whole bean coffee I happen to try.
I have more Baby formula containers and cat little buckets for repurposed storage....honestly though I just dump everything in a pile

sounds like my house except i have stupid dogs instead of kids so i can neglect them a bit and use my french press to make cold brew every day. with the girlfriend in med school, coffee is a necessity and it's non-negotiable. if i have to be a few minutes late for work because i'm grinding coffee beans, so be it to keep my chick from turning into a demon or something :D

i do instant when i'm in the field on drill, and that's enough for me...if i don't have time to drink it, i just put the instant in my mouth and swish some water around with it!

i do instant when i'm in the field on drill, and that's enough for me...if i don't have time to drink it, i just put the instant in my mouth and swish some water around with it!
Reminds me of my friend that will pour toothpaste into a cup with water, drink it without swallowing and swish it around in his mouth rather than brush his teeth.

So the less than stellar outing with the cast loads has lead me down the road of tweaking this rifle.
Although it was shooting well for me back in 2005-2008 it's seen some use been lent out and other than gas cylinder spline peening has seen little "fixing" to shoot better. Back then it was 9 ring with HXP and only marginal improvement with reloads. I was also better at off hand then with a average of 91 from 2007-2010.

Back
Top Bottom