• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HELP! New Massachusetts AR ban!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of July 20th, so called Assault Weapons are banned in Massachusetts including copycat weapons such as ARs, AKs and so on... I live in MA and I'm in the process of obtaining a LTC-A, and I was buying parts already for my upcoming AR15. I also ordered a Polymer 80 lower receiver before July 20th, is it possible for me to turn it into a firearm? I'm so frustrated right now due to the fact I wasted money on parts I can't even use... If there's no hope for me, can AR parts interchangeable with the all state friendly, ARES SCR?

God dammit, can anyone suggest AR alternatives or knows a lot about the ARES SCR?

Interchangeability Test: A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate if it has a receiver that is the same as or interchangeable with the receiver of an Enumerated Weapon. A receiver will be treated as the same as or interchangeable with the receiver on an Enumerated Weapon if it includes or accepts two or more operating components that are the same as or interchangeable with those of an Enumerated Weapon. Such operating components may include, but are not limited to: 1) the trigger assembly; 2) the bolt carrier or bolt carrier group; 3) the charging handle; 4) the extractor or extractor assembly; or 5) the magazine port.

It would appear to use an AR charging handle, AR mags / mag port, and AR extractor, so it's probably no bueno.

Plus, being semi-auto, it may fail the similarity test as well.

Similarity Test: A weapon is a Copy or Duplicate if its internal functional components are substantially similar in construction and configuration to those of an Enumerated Weapon. Under this test, a weapon is a Copy or Duplicate, for example, if the operating system and firing mechanism of the weapon are based on or otherwise substantially similar to one of the Enumerated Weapons.

Oh my goodness, so even the Mossberg MVP "BOLT ACTION" rifle is not legal because it uses AR mags????

If you're being serious... what AG did is an attempt at a power grab. This is all MGL, so ATF doesn't come into play. Feds allow AR15, MGL allows neutered AR15, AG bans all by some unknown power of hers.
Go thru some of the existing threads, your question and more are already discussed. Best answer, we don't know. Play it safe for now and see how the legislature reacts in the upcoming days/weeks.

When you finish that 80% and complete it as a rifle, you must EFA10 it. But since it's after "July 20", you're then committing a felony, according to the AG.

Last edited:
My apologies Im new to the gun community, and MA laws are confusing. But isn't an EFA10 not necessary if I'm not selling or manufacturing the lower receiver?

Good. No one needs a gun anyways, you'll shoot your eye out.

My apologies Im new to the gun community, and MA laws are confusing. But isn't an EFA10 not necessary if I'm not selling or manufacturing the lower receiver?

The consensus is that you "obtain" a rifle (or firearm, as the case may be) when you assemble it from a lower receiver and other parts and it becomes "capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger." Thus, you have to report it within 7 days, as required by MGL ch. 140 sec. 128B. Please don't sea lawyer the definition of "obtain," it's been done to death here. In the end, you make your own choice.

We're all screwed. Welcome to Massachusetts.

This is true... But
If WE ALL (Massachusetts gun owners) become Green Members (supporting NES)
Join the NRA, GOAL, GOA and support Comm2a
Go To the Rally Saturday at the State House!
Call the A.G.'s office, the Governor and every politician in the state.
If "WE ALL" do this I believe we can make a difference! Get this fixed and get her outta office!
Not even half of eligible voters in Massachusetts even bother to VOTE.
So become active of we will lose even more rights here (ending up like California)

13 posts, comes charging in with an announcement that was made a few days ago, not a green member and wants to know if he needs to follow the law when it comes to firearms? Hmmm.......Maura, is that you?

Oh my goodness, so even the Mossberg MVP "BOLT ACTION" rifle is not legal because it uses AR mags????

Who knows what the AG will try to pull next, but as of now no. The AWB specifically only applies to semi-auto.

It was my understanding that an 80% lower was illegal in Mass. already, or am I wrong?
If you have a lower with serial number already registered to you name prior to the A.G.'s notice ( 07/19/2016 ) than you are ok, and can continue your build?

I've read a few of these threads, but it's still not clear. Can we still sell buy or sell an AR or AK that we already own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom