• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help Save My Hens

Greetings NES! First Post. Thank you for providing me with endless entertainment, knowledge, and proof that there are other unindoctrinated thinkers even in Massachusetts.

I'm seeking your input on methods of ridding myself and my beloved hens of a nuisance red fox. He/she/ze discovered the free buffet a week or so back and has picked a few hens off, aided in part by a malfunctioning automatic door I've since fixed. I intend to improve the security further, but I don't expect the fox to forget where the fresh meat is.

As my name suggests, my property is in the woods, a legal 500ft distance from other "dwellings" and this also appears to be a Mass. General Law 131, Section 37 scenario which puts firearm options on the table. [In private I have a healthy disrespect for any authority that would regulate how I protect my source of fresh, delicious omelettes. Usually with feta cheese.] I have 22LR, 223, 12 & 20 gauge, and many others in between to work with, but do not have night vision equipment. I'm a pretty fair shot with long guns, but not an experienced hunter.

Questions are:
When (dusk maybe?) and how to lure the fox: electronic decoy?; expired lunch meat? Will the fox balk at entering a lit section of my yard even for a queen cut prime rib? I recognize that these guys are extremely cautious and cunning canids. Also realize I could very well inadvertently attract a big ol' eastern coyote or other predator too. In fact, I almost expect to given what I know is out there in my woods. Am I better off with a Have-a-Heart and a can of catfood? I just don't see a fox falling for it.

Please don't feel obligated to address my specific questions, but if you have any advice, success stories, jokes, then thanks in advance!

Greetings NES! First Post. Thank you for providing me with endless entertainment, knowledge, and proof that there are other unindoctrinated thinkers even in Massachusetts.

I'm seeking your input on methods of ridding myself and my beloved hens of a nuisance red fox. He/she/ze discovered the free buffet a week or so back and has picked a few hens off, aided in part by a malfunctioning automatic door I've since fixed. I intend to improve the security further, but I don't expect the fox to forget where the fresh meat is.

As my name suggests, my property is in the woods, a legal 500ft distance from other "dwellings" and this also appears to be a Mass. General Law 131, Section 37 scenario which puts firearm options on the table. [In private I have a healthy disrespect for any authority that would regulate how I protect my source of fresh, delicious omelettes. Usually with feta cheese.] I have 22LR, 223, 12 & 20 gauge, and many others in between to work with, but do not have night vision equipment. I'm a pretty fair shot with long guns, but not an experienced hunter.

Questions are:
When (dusk maybe?) and how to lure the fox: electronic decoy?; expired lunch meat? Will the fox balk at entering a lit section of my yard even for a queen cut prime rib? I recognize that these guys are extremely cautious and cunning canids. Also realize I could very well inadvertently attract a big ol' eastern coyote or other predator too. In fact, I almost expect to given what I know is out there in my woods. Am I better off with a Have-a-Heart and a can of catfood? I just don't see a fox falling for it.

Please don't feel obligated to address my specific questions, but if you have any advice, success stories, jokes, then thanks in advance!
There will always be predators. My neighbors went to a double fenced in area. Too many coyotes, foxes.

Haha! Definitely go time on this fox. My brave wife encountered it a couple of nights ago while I was out. Chickens were making a racket so she equipped herself with a snow boot and went out to find the fox with a chicken in his clutches. She launched the snow boot, missed, fox dropped the chicken and bugged out, she ran back in side for her single six. Queue the Benny Hill yackety sax. I would do anything to have that on video. Good news is the hen survived with superficial wounds and missing feathers. Don't mess with Mrs. FromTheWoods!

how to lure the fox: electronic decoy?; expired lunch meat? Will the fox balk at entering a lit section of my yard even for a queen cut prime rib?
1. A leftover chicken dinner is lot cheaper than prime rib, and obviously something they like.
2. Fox are around during the day also; they are not just nocturnal.
3. If you are within legal limits, get a hunting license and bag 'em.
4. You may not need a hunting license if it is threatening livestock.
5. Save the pelt! You can read up on using the brains to tan it.

Welcome.

My answer actually addresses the method to be used - which should be the Will the fox balk at entering a lit section of my yard even for a queen cut prime rib? version.

Step 1 - Forward me your address, date & time you'll be putting the bait out and the exact location in your yard.

Step 2 - On the appointed day and time make sure the prime rib is steaming hot with a cup of au jus and some horseradish sauce (foxes love that shit) and a baked potato with sour cream would be even more alluring to the fox.

Step 3 - When IF, you see a large, bipedal animal with orange "fur" approach the bait, DO NOT SHOOT - this is a rare type of orangutan known to inhabit the northeastern woods and can land you in beaucoup trouble if you even so much as wound one. Just let it make off with the bait and go on its way. You can reset the bait for the fox afterward.

Step 4 - Should the fox arrive, let him have it with whatever caliber other posters recommend that you feel is adequate.

(Edited to add: TWO slices of prime rib will likely get quicker results - and in case you're wondering, end cuts are perfectly fine too.)

Happy Roasting, errr, Hunting!!:)

There will always be predators. My neighbors went to a double fenced in area. Too many coyotes, foxes.
Absolutely true. To the point where they say chicken wire keeps chickens in, doesn't keep predators out. We have coyotes, red fox, various birds of prey, all kinds of furry woodland creatures with sharp teeth and then we have a healthy supply of wild turkey, deer, rabbit, squirrel, and mice to keep them around for sure. Our biggest problem had actually been the red-tailed hawks until this fox discovered the hens. I accept I'm going to lose some hens here and there to opportunistic predators, but this fox seems to be returning almost nightly. First time we've had this issue in the two years of having chickens.

There are too many predators to let chickens run loose in some areas. At certain times of the year, I think you can get away with letting them roam. In winter predators are all hungry and you have a KFC.

Earlier this year I thought it was ok to let them roam during daytime hours and it was for about 5 months. Then the hawks started getting active and I lost one. I just keep them in the coop full time now. Take out one fox and a coyote will take its place, then raccoons, then the owls..... it's never ending.

That said gray owl cooked with a bit of gravy is super tasty [rofl]

Here's the short version. The fox will be back in a few days. Knowing this, have a "conversation" with the fox. He will understand the consequences of his actions.

Do not call the authority, no good ever comes of that. You can protect your livestock in Mass.

Once or twice a year I have this problem. I can’t shoot because my neighbors are to close. I keep them in the run for a week or so. Fox moves on because food source is not available. Best I can do. But you already. Baited it and can learn its schedule so it likes chicken. Sit and wait and bang.

Welcome.

My answer actually addresses the method to be used - which should be the Will the fox balk at entering a lit section of my yard even for a queen cut prime rib? version.

Step 1 - Forward me your address, date & time you'll be putting the bait out and the exact location in your yard.

Step 2 - On the appointed day and time make sure the prime rib is steaming hot with a cup of au jus and some horseradish sauce (foxes love that shit) and a baked potato
1. A leftover chicken dinner is lot cheaper than prime rib, and obviously something they like.

with sour cream would be even more alluring to the fox.

Step 3 - When IF, you see a large, bipedal animal with orange "fur" approach the bait, DO NOT SHOOT - this is a rare type of orangutan known to inhabit the northeastern woods and can land you in beaucoup trouble if you even so much as wound one. Just let it make off with the bait and go on its way. You can reset the bait for the fox afterward.

Step 4 - Should the fox arrive, let him have it with whatever caliber other posters recommend that you feel is adequate.

(Edited to add: TWO slices of prime rib will likely get quicker results - and in case you're wondering, end cuts are perfectly fine too.)

Happy Roasting, errr, Hunting!!:)
I'm thinking the blackened prime rib queen cut from New England Steak & Seafood in Mendon. I saw one of those Orangutan things suck one down while watching himself in the bar mirror.

On point 3 the hunting incense won't help outside of the open season.....which ends Feb 27.

Good advice. I might be able to ask a friend's brother - MA Environmental Police - off the record.
You say you have a healthy disrespect for authority telling you how to protect your livestock so.......not sure what a call to the epo will do. First they will tell you to secure your chickens better. That's a fact. That said.....can you secure them better?

My son in NH has had chickens for many years. He and Little Jack just shoot the intruders from the windows in the house. The coons are as bad as the foxes. If in NH, get a suppressor for whatever rifle you have. Have a hole dug in the woods for quick disposal of the carcass (es). Jack.

I like the CCI subsonic 1050fps 22LR. Really takes the crack out in a rifle barrel, much less so on a pistol. I can only imagine these in a suppressed setup.

I have couple hundred rounds of those. I love the CB Long for dispatching chipmunks.

OK. Tonight I'm going to renew hunting license, put fresh batteries in the trail cam, experiment with trash night fridge cleanout as bait. There are definitely improvements I can make to security, but will have to wait for the weekend for some and ground to thaw for others. Thanks everyone! I'll post my progress.

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine was having problems with a good sized black bear raiding his chicken coop...He ended up sealing off the windows, adding strength to the door...basically turning the coop into a fortress.

He heard a commotion a few nights later...the bear had torn down the exterior wall and was exiting the coop with two chickens in its mouth.

My friend had grabbed his 45-70 on the way out and he and the bruin had a "come to Jesus" meeting (literally) there is his back yard. He threw a 4x8 sheet of 1" plywood over the breach, went to bed and buried the beast the next morning with a backhoe. He had tried to get the NHFG to help him do something about the bear but they were never available, probably rescuing some dimwit off a mountain...They always said to make his coop stronger.

Good luck with that....sometimes you have to take things into your own hands.

While not with foxes, I have had great success with baiting the appropriately sized live trap and then popping what gets caught.

Shooting in the act is more fun, but my method gets me more sleep.

Cameras can help you try to develop a pattern if you choose the no sleep option.

Back
Top Bottom