• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help with Removing Rosi 92 rear sight

Thirwell1216

NES Member
Picked up a nice little Rossi 92 lever gun in .357 from a member here last year and he had replaced the stock sights with a fiber optic O ring style sight. I'm more of a traditionalist. I'm trying to put on replacement buckthorne sights and am having some trouble. He let me know a gunsmith did the sight replacement. Front sight came out easy. Knocked out the sight with a punch from right to left and got it out easily. Took out the latter on the rear sight and am trying to punch it out and no dice. So I am standing on top of the rifle and punching from the right side of the rifle to the left side. It isn't moving at all. I'm not sure if there is something I'm doing wrong or if the smith that installed the sight put some adhesive on the rear sight. Any advice?

20200829_215709.jpg
20200829_215634.jpg

That rear peep sight is trying to tell you, im better than any buck horn sight!
that said Right to left is your standard removal.
also be sure to put a thin piece of leather under the sight "leaf" or a few cleaning patches to avoid scratching barrel.
Are you mounting the action in a vise?
sometimes a little heat will help, hair dryer, heat gun or even a soldering iron right on the sight. This will help soften any adhesive that may have been applied. Also alot of these rifles dove tails are loose so the smith could have "staked" it pretty hard.

Last edited:
Rossi is known for not always having standard dovetail sizes. Especially some of the older rifles. Double check before you take this one off.

I made that mistake one time on a Rossi. All that work to get the sight off. Then had to put it back on since the new "standard" size dovetail didn't fit.

Rossi is known for not always having standard dovetail sizes. Especially some of the older rifles. Double check before you take this one off.

I made that mistake one time on a Rossi. All that work to get the sight off. Then had to put it back on since the new "standard" size dovetail didn't fit.
Ahh thats when you get one of these

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de7OtqR3_6Y

Back
Top Bottom