Help with Western Hats

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm looking for what I think is called a Gambler style hat. Flat top, mid(?) rise, not super expensive given it's the first hat of that style for me.
Question: Hat needs to match belt & boots right? I have some boots I want to try but I'll hold off on that for now.
Any of you have brand recommendations, who to avoid?
Leaning towards something like this:
1587087181945.png

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well how-dee pardner, y'all rustlin' up some do-gees in Lynn, there, are ya? I didn't knowz that Essex County, Mass was good grazin' lands!

In all seriousness, try Akubra hats and go shoot cowboy action or muzzleloading events.

76Too

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
i'm saying this as a friend...

...you need to move before the shit you're doing gets you killed.

there are literally entire sections of the country that allow this sort of behaviour. it's called America and it's beautiful in EVERY way.

good luck finding your cover...hopefully it brings you some place free from tyranny.

Rating - 96.8%
30   1   0
Cavenders if you’re not looking to spend a lot

go 3x wool and you can get a decent knock around hat for under $100.

and no, you don’t need to match your hat to your belt and shoes. If you want a Gambler crown get black or if you must, dark brown.

Evtide

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Google it up man, there’s tons of sources out there. As far as recommendations, I’d avoid any seller that doesn’t let you make hassle free returns as (proper) size matters. I haven’t found any place on the North Shore but honestly haven’t looked around much. Kittery Trading Post often has a decent selection but not too sure if you’ll find a nice Gambler up there. Stetson is synonymous with quality but has the price tag that goes along with it. I’m due for a new lid before summer, something in straw, and am on the hunt as well.

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Google it up man, there’s tons of sources out there. As far as recommendations, I’d avoid any seller that doesn’t let you make hassle free returns as (proper) size matters. I haven’t found any place on the North Shore but honestly haven’t looked around much. Kittery Trading Post often has a decent selection but not too sure if you’ll find a nice Gambler up there. Stetson is synonymous with quality but has the price tag that goes along with it. I’m due for a new lid before summer, something in straw, and am on the hunt as well.
Stetson in Marblehead? I'd love to see that walking through Java Sun lol

Arto

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scout hats are great for the Indiana Jones effect...https://www.scoutshop.org/brimmed-hat-600016.html (& you can button in the chin strap to your shirt so it won't blow away in the wind)

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Something like the "Uncle Harry" ?

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well...…..the first consideration is exactly what the hat is made of. The felt determines the quality, and how well it will
stand up to harsh weather and the elements. A lot of the cheaper hats are made with wool felt....STAY AWAY FROM THOSE.

Don't buy any hat unless it is Beaver felt. The Microstructure of Beaver hairs naturally repels water, and the finer the quality,
the better. The felt is graded accordingly, with a 2X Beaver being low cost/quality, versus a 20X or 100X Beaver.

And, contrary to popular belief, there are a lot of hat brands better than Stetson. I would go on the internet and
look up Seratelli. The are the only brand I buy. I have a nice 10X Beaver from them and it cost me less than $300.

And stay the f**k away from Resistol! INMO they are the Walmart of hats!

You can PM me anytime if you have any questions. [wink]

EDIT TO ADD: I wear a Granite Grey hat, a black belt and brown boots. It's not like you are going to wear it at a fashion
show while you walk down the freaking runway! [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

Last edited:

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If you need good advise on hats, besides Skysoldiers advice above, I suggest a few things:

1. When stay at home ends, go to a Cowboy Shoot. Everyone has a hat. They will all give you advice.

2. Go to Facebook and join Cowboy Action Shooting groups (or SASS groups). Not only you will get great advice, but there are a lot of people in those groups that make hats and all sorts of other stuff such as boots, belts, holsters ...

3. I think it is sassnet.com - they have a forum. Thar forum is full of people that will help you.
If it isnt called sassnet, just Google SASS Shooting and it will come up. It has been a while since I visited that site.

white feather

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wait, when it comes to beavers, I thought that the carpet should match the drapes (I know, carpets are so 1980's)... he wants to know if the shoes should match the hat. I am so confused... [thinking]

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was thinking real hard abour making a serious response to the OP, but given the previousl responses, I have to go with this pull from the deep end of the pop culture pool. If you are too impatient, skip to 1:30:

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i would start looking here:

northny

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Between Cabelas and Harvard Sportsmen’s Club
I’ve a black hat that goes with black cherry dress boots. (I had new soles put on those boots when visiting brother in Amarillo last year). That’s the only hat that matches anything. I’ve a dark brown hat that’s general wear. Both are beaver and shed rain well.

Come summer I’ll have a light (straw?) one that’s dirty and sweet stained by end of summer. (tractor supply inexpensive). The dark colors are too hot when I’m working or fishing out in sun. Hat tossed out by fall.

I don’t cowboy shoot or wear them as fashion statement. Functional at keeping rain and sun off my head ears and neck when outdoors. I particularly like rain not running inside collar for most part.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Only works if you can take this leg and hit him on THAT side of his face.

Oh and get an annoying libtard bad-acting girlfriend and overact and save a bunch of kids from the corrupt "law" in town. LOL

DarthRevan

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was thinking real hard abour making a serious response to the OP, but given the previousl responses, I have to go with this pull from the deep end of the pop culture pool. If you are too impatient, skip to 1:30:

I'd drive the shit out of that car... lol!

Top Bottom