Helping friend apply for LTC in Peabody

One of my friends from Peabody is going in for their interview in the coming weeks. I told them to apply for Class A ALP. They mentioned the Chief told them: "You better be able to come up with a DAMN good reason if you want an unrestricted licence."

Upon hearing this, I came to two conclusions:

1. My friend is F'd. Everything about them is normal. They work a normal job, have normal friends, and live a normal lifestyle.

2. There is positively no way (IMO) to adequately justify to an authority the need to carry a firearm WITHOUT sounding like a paranoid freak show who thinks everyone is out to get you. At least, this is how I feel.

Needless to say, the Chief request a letter from the applicant. I am currently helping them write it.

Ideas? Thoughts?

I might be brazen enough to walk in with a copy of the BoR's in one hand and an attorneys card in the other then ask if those are good enough reasons. If he is THAT normal (which I believe he is, as are most) then the L.O. will have a difficult time coming up with a suitability issue in regard to your friends lifestyle. The further your friend can push the denial reason away from himself personally the better chance he would have fighting it.

Also, maybe he should bring a holster and ask the lo to get in it. If he can't fit in there then an ALP is the only other way to guarantee his RIGHT to protect his life at all times.

I think this calls for a "top 10 'DAMN Good Reasons' you want an ALP LTC"

I am not sure I can think of 10, but with a little help, I think we can do it...

- Because my life is worth no more or less than anyone else you have already authorized to carry or carry concealed - whether they be LEO, Business owner, or just people you really like.

- Because I have not been convicted, nor charged with any crime. You have no more reason to expect me to commit a crime with a firearm than you do a chainsaw, hammer, or tire iron. (as a matter of fact, given EPA laws, you might have better odds of breaking them with a chainsaw [laugh])

- In fact as an LTC holder, the odds of me being arrested or charged are less than than the general population

- Of course, see 2A

- Why would you authorize carry based on moving money when most people in this state are vehemently against the concept of using lethal force to protect property? I move things worth more than any amount of money every day - MY FAMILY!

Alright - a little help finishing this list? [laugh]

Last edited:
Posts ## 2 and 3 are a guaranteed FAIL.

As is any invocation of the Bill of Rights.

There is an EXTENSIVE stickie on this very subject.

Oddly enough, it is in the correct location: Mass. LAWS.

As the OP would have found had he actually looked.

Posts ## 2 and 3 are a guaranteed FAIL.

As is any invocation of the Bill of Rights.

There is an EXTENSIVE stickie on this very subject.

Oddly enough, it is in the correct location: Mass. LAWS.

As the OP would have found had he actually looked.

Is there a grumpy douche bag section?

I always read your posts because your knowledge is extremely valuable and appreciated but your delivery sucks. With all of your knowledge you could be a great asset but instead you are mostly just a great ass. You could have achieved the exact same result with kindness and a link to the correct post but rather than do that and be part of the solution, you decided to NOT provide the link therefore be a part of the problem and NOT the solution. That seems a bit hypocritical doesn't it?

The further your friend can push the denial reason away from himself personally the better chance he would have fighting it.

"Denial" isn't the problem. The problem in Peabody will likely be B-ramming or restrictions. (pick one).

I imagine some form of this this is required to get an A/None or an A/Protection in Peabody... add a monkey with an organ grinder, and a
midget pounding on a drum, too.... [laugh]

dpshow.jpg

-Mike

You could have achieved the exact same result with kindness and a link to the correct post but rather than do that and be part of the solution, you decided to NOT provide the link therefore be a part of the problem and NOT the solution. That seems a bit hypocritical doesn't it?

Can you chew your own food yet, or do you still need to be spoon-fed?

If the former, how did you learn - by actually being given real food, or kept on a diet of pablum?

Is there a grumpy douche bag section?

I always read your posts because your knowledge is extremely valuable and appreciated but your delivery sucks. With all of your knowledge you could be a great asset but instead you are mostly just a great ass. You could have achieved the exact same result with kindness and a link to the correct post but rather than do that and be part of the solution, you decided to NOT provide the link therefore be a part of the problem and NOT the solution. That seems a bit hypocritical doesn't it?

Outside of the last line, his post wasn't all that grumpy but informative to the OP. But he just had to write that last line... [rofl]

To the OP, be careful peabody doesn't B ram your buddies. They will based on age. If they are >25 they still could do that so make sure you buddies don't go walking in there saying they have never shot a gun. Don't lie and tell the PD they are HSLD operators, but definitely have them get some range time with you prior to going in there.

Can you chew your own food yet, or do you still need to be spoon-fed?

If the former, how did you learn - by actually being given real food, or kept on a diet of pablum?

Implying that you would be "spoon feeding" someone by posting a link is ridiculous. It would be an act of kindness. You should try it sometime. It's much more fun than being a belligerent, belittling and arrogant personality. People like you thrive on intimidating people because rather than rise to the level of those around you, you find it easier to keep everyone beneath you. That's cool as long as it works for you. Good luck with that.

Nothing much your friend can do. Unless he already has an ALP from another city (which he doesn't) and is just renewing (which he isn't) or a business owner which he is not.

My father's boss lives in Peabody and is a business owner in Lynn. He has had it for years but I dont think it was issued in peabody. They give him crap every time he renews it but they always renew it. Basically he keeps it just because he has it. I don't think he even owns a gun anymore.

In 2007 my friend who is a Peabody resident and Salem business owner applied in Peabody. He also got all kinds of crap and had to jump through hoops. He even had to submit a letter on company letterhead stating his position within the company and why he needed the LTC. They did end up giving him an ALP. He applied in July, the license was issued in August by the CHSB. They didn't call him and let him pick it up at the station until 3 or 4 days before christmas. This was 2 years ago.

Last edited:
One of my friends from Peabody is going in for their interview in the coming weeks. I told them to apply for Class A ALP. They mentioned the Chief told them: "You better be able to come up with a DAMN good reason if you want an unrestricted licence."//
This is a really good time for your friend to join GOAL and give them a call.... I've heard this about this chief, I was actually advised that I was better off applying in Boston!

When I first got a license in 85, my lawyer told me point blank that I was crazy not to get an LTC-A-ALP.

Because any restrictions are applied by the chief where you are resident, but may be enforced differently in another town, if you are traveling to ranges in competitions in other towns, you are at the mercy of their interpretation.

So not wanting to unknowingly violate the law is a good reason.

Because any restrictions are applied by the chief where you are resident, but may be enforced differently in another town, if you are traveling to ranges in competitions in other towns, you are at the mercy of their interpretation.

Not exactly. Legally speaking the issuing authority IS the SOLE arbiter of what a restriction actually means. What some other PD thinks of it is meaningless. The IA is the one that decides whether or not to apply the administrative penalties for violating a restriction. Some other random PD cannot axe your LTC based on what -their- interpretations of those restrictions are.

-Mike

Pretty sure your friend will see a B license. I live in Peabody and have had an ALP for years but had one many years ago from another city and renewed in Peabody when I moved here. My son was issued a B and after a year (and another $100 fee) he was able to upgrade to an ALP. Detective Peter Olson does the actual interview/processing and is a decent guy but everything flows down from the CLEO. Have your friend go shooting with you and tell the LEO that he is trying to join a club (Danvers, Andover etc) but needs his permit to join. An ALP would be beneficial as you plan to shoot evenings and hate to travel with firearms and ammo without carrying. (Andover's indoor range is open all hours if you're in by 11 PM. I don't like leaving after meetings sometimes as the forest is so dark.)

Honesty is the best policy. You enjoy shooting, plan to try shooting competitively, as you store handguns and ammo in your home then travek with them you feel the need for CCW is necessary.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom