Herco 44mag

I'm looking for data for herco with a 200g rnfp hardcast.
I loaded up some rounds yesterday. 50 with 9.0 grains herco and federel lg pistol primer. Second 50 with 10 grains herco. 10 grain load apperaed more accurate an actually seemed less smokey.
Does anyone have max load data. I'm not sure where I found the 8grain start load. 10 grains wasn't harsh at all and would like to make it a little hotter
Thanks Tom

The Lyman cast bullet handbook lists 11.4 to 13.8 of Herco for a hard cast 200 grain bullet. The upper end is over 36,000 psi. They also list 11.4 to 13.5 for a 215 gr. It would seem that you're well below the minimum but I'd still increase in small increments.

OMG, Troda......

Please......

If you are going to reload, please get a CURRENT copy of a reloading book, with current reloading data. Asking for "heresay" advice will only get you in trouble, and perhaps hurt your gun and yourself.

Be aware that opinions are only that, opinions.

Do not load based on an opinion. Load only based on solid, scientifically developed reloading data.

So, get a reloading book, a current one, which lists the reloading data that you seek. If published reloading data for your round isn't available, guess what... it's not safe!

Alternatively, call the Hercules company, and request that they provide you with official reloading data for your round. They'd be happy to oblige. They want you to be safe, and will give you solid reloading data based on scientific testing.

Never ever reload based on a suggestion (heresay) unless you can back it up with scientifically tested reloading data.

Having said all that, I checked the Alliant site for your 44 Mag, and do NOT see reloading data for your powder/bullet combination. You should call them, or email them, and ask them to provide you with guidance. You would be surprised how fast you can go over pressure with some powders, and start to blow things up.

Last edited:
I would take DukeinMaine's advice.

I checked my manual and Herco is not listed for 200gr hardcast. Only listed under 200gr jacketed. I would call the powder manufacturer. But it is your gun and your life. As I have read in many places "If a powder is not listed for a certain bullet type, there is a reason". Please find current load data, I would hate to see you hurt your gun or yourself.
Kenny

It may well be in the Lyman Hardcast manual, but have the book in hand or at least a copy of the data. A $30 book is better than a blown up gun.

Books

I actually have 4 loading manuals and the Hodgden yearly. I just figured the load to be outdated. Is there a source for older load manuals? How about the reloading sites that are online.
Thanks Tom

OLDER data manuals are "For Reference ONLY"........

There's usually a reason when they drop data from the newer manuals.

Never use old and outdated manuals for reloading. For one good reason, the formulation for the powders do change, believe it or not. And, so the resultant pressures can also dramatically change.

In the specific instance that you are dealing with, I would strongly urge you to contact Alliant directly, and have them provide you with loading data for that bullet and powder. They won't give you data that isn't safe, or else they will be on the hook if you hurt yourself.

We like you, and want you to be safe.

Here's Alliant's info:
Mail Address:
Alliant Powder
PO Box 6
Radford, VA 24143-0006
1-800-276-9337

(See! It's even a TOLL FREE number!)

Last edited:
I appreciate that. I'll call them and see what they have to say. I'll post afterwards to let you know.
Thanks Again
Tom

I would take DukeinMaine's advice.

I checked my manual and Herco is not listed for 200gr hardcast. Only listed under 200gr jacketed. I would call the powder manufacturer. But it is your gun and your life. As I have read in many places "If a powder is not listed for a certain bullet type, there is a reason". Please find current load data, I would hate to see you hurt your gun or yourself.

While this is often because something is "bad combination", many times it's the reason is simply that they didn't bother to test that particular combination. This is where having multiple data sources comes in handy.

-Mike

While this is often because something is "bad combination", many times it's the reason is simply that they didn't bother to test that particular combination. This is where having multiple data sources comes in handy.

-Mike

I completely agree. I actually have 3 manuals(1 borrowed) and only load 2 different calibers. I personally need to have the data in hand before I start to load. I am new to this and it scares me a bit, which isn't a bad thing.

Double checking load data is easy. Digging gun pieces out of your head, not so much.

Called Alliant today and left a message. No call back as of yet. Gonna try email tonight and see how that does

The reloading data books usually tell you what to expect for speed from specific loads. All a chrony does it confirm what they tell you that you'll see. Duh.

I would have asked them when you had them on the phone.

Then again, if you feel the need for a chrony, maybe you should also get a pressure test gun, so you know what pressures you are dealing with.
[rolleyes]

A chronograph will tell you the velocity of a specific load in your gun and also the shot to shot variation. A manual can't tell you that. I pick a load based only on accuracy but I have a chronograph. I used it to develop a .45/60 WCF load for which no load data was available. I wanted to get into the right velocity range and then develop from there. Before you decide to get one and start making up loads, keep in mind that I had the assistance of a ballistician from the powder company.

Been workin my way up with the Herco and have found 11.5g to be by far the most accurate. Still a mild load by feel.
Will update further.

Been workin my way up with the Herco and have found 11.5g to be by far the most accurate. Still a mild load by feel.
Will update further.
Did you ever get a chronograph?

Respecrfully,
jkelly

I haven't as of yet. I usually research the hell out of something before I buy and this is my busy season . Prob get down to business in the fall.

I haven't as of yet. I usually research the hell out of something before I buy and this is my busy season . Prob get down to business in the fall.
Go idea to do the research, chronographs are great tools for reloading.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Back
Top Bottom