• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Here's what you need if you stick a live round in a Redding Body Die.

Remember, the L.E. Wilson case gauge is not used for measuring case diameters precisely. It is for measuring the datum to establish the correct shoulder position for reloaded brass in your specific rifle.
I made this mistake with some neck-sized brass used in a former bolt gun. The reloaded rounds dropped into the case gauge, as advertised, but bound up solid in an autoloader. The shoulder area diameter was oversized and the round wedged into the AR chamber. The Wilson gauge does not measure case diameters to SAAMI specs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuJYpm-qplQ

Better than having to resize loaded ammo.

Why was it tight in the case gauge? I think if I resized a case, and it didn't fit into a case gauge when I loaded it, I might pull the projectile to try and find out why, or if it was just one, I would probably just pull the bullet and discard. I have never had an issue like that if I resized properly on the empty case. I took EC's reloading class and he recommended sorting by headstamp, which I do for necked cases because it makes a lot of sense. Removing variables results in less process issues and more consistent ammo.

But I don't pick up range brass for reloading unless I think that it was factory stuff. Like having 1000 556 cases on the ground along with all the stripper clips and packages because the shooter couldn't be bothered to clean up their mess. I cleaned up the packages and clips too, worthwhile trade for 1000 Lake City cases. But I digress...

Why was it tight in the case gauge? I think if I resized a case, and it didn't fit into a case gauge when I loaded it, I might pull the projectile to try and find out why, or if it was just one, I would probably just pull the bullet and discard. I have never had an issue like that if I resized properly on the empty case. I took EC's reloading class and he recommended sorting by headstamp, which I do for necked cases because it makes a lot of sense. Removing variables results in less process issues and more consistent ammo.

But I don't pick up range brass for reloading unless I think that it was factory stuff. Like having 1000 556 cases on the ground along with all the stripper clips and packages because the shooter couldn't be bothered to clean up their mess. I cleaned up the packages and clips too, worthwhile trade for 1000 Lake City cases. But I digress...
Why discard the bullet. Get one of these. If you reload enough you can always use it.
Amazon product ASIN B07PP1K38VView: https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-050095-Lock-Bullet-Puller/dp/B07PP1K38V

Why not use military brass. All you have to do is decrimp and resize the primer pocket.

So let me get this straight...
Deprime..reprime
Powder
Bullet
Size the case
I know most people don’t but I’ll clean primer pocket when done too.

damnit I got my press set up all wrong.

At any point in the loading process the primer where to set off and ignite the powder after the bullet was seated how much pressure would actually be produced.
If theres nothing supporting the primer im guessing you would get a nice WTF was that when the primer blows out
If your using a body sizing die the bullet might pop out the top and might hit your cieling.
Try it.

Uzi2 was just trying to be helpful and it is certainly appreciated, although the next time I’d recommend he seek some advice if he finds himself in an unfamiliar situation. We’ve all done plenty of stupid sh*t...

Uzi2 was just trying to be helpful and it is certainly appreciated, although the next time I’d recommend he seek some advice if he finds himself in an unfamiliar situation. We’ve all done plenty of stupid sh*t...

It just so happens that I did seek advice from a very well trusted personal friend who also happens to be a fifty year mechanical engineer, a pyro technician, avid shooter and reloader.
There was nothing dangerous about the procedure I used to remove the stuck round. If anyone here uses an inertial bullet puller, you are exerting exponentially more forces on a loaded round than I used in any step that I used.

Primers do not magically initiate, it takes specific force in a specific direction and very specific places to initiate a primer.
What I did met NONE of those criteria......NONE.
I worked on the opposite end of the round, loosening the bullet by finessing a tapered point down beside it then inertially removed it from the casing along with the powder.

There was nothing stupid about it, it was a well thought out and safe and very successful procedure......and I'd do it again and again if the need arose.

Trying to figure out how to set off primer with out blocking the primer to the open side of case holder .
Plus I dont have a body size die to try.
Im guessing its much like putting a 30-06 in a vise and hitting the primer with a long center punch. You lnow its takes a pretty stout blow to ignite a primer....,,.

Trying to figure out how to set off primer with out blocking the primer to the open side of case holder .
Plus I dont have a body size die to try.
Im guessing its much like putting a 30-06 in a vise and hitting the primer with a long center punch. You lnow its takes a pretty stout blow to ignite a primer....,,.
First, make sure you have a cellphone on a tripod and it is recording.

Then, light a match under the round. Hold it at the end of a stick to be safe.

Post it on NES.

So from your original post..

”Sooooo, having what is basically a loaded gun”...(Your words, not mine)

One could argue you what you made was...
Option A) a self propelled projectile or
Option B) a grenade

A gun implies you could direct any detonation in a safe direction if you choose, not possible in the original state. Option A - you inadvertently set that thing off, the free end of the case fails and acts like a rocket. Option B - you inadvertently set that thing off and given the contained pressure, shrapnel flies everywhere, putting an Eye out or worse, spilling your beer. Seriously, nobody wants you to get hurt, perhaps I am no longer the young risk taker I once was. Good luck, happy loading, appreciate your ingenuity and determination but please stay safe. I assume you‘re one of the good guys so that is the only intent of this advice.

So from your original post..

”Sooooo, having what is basically a loaded gun”...(Your words, not mine)

One could argue you what you made was...
Option A) a self propelled projectile or
Option B) a grenade

A gun implies you could direct any detonation in a safe direction if you choose, not possible in the original state. Option A - you inadvertently set that thing off, the free end of the case fails and acts like a rocket. Option B - you inadvertently set that thing off and given the contained pressure, shrapnel flies everywhere, putting an Eye out or worse, spilling your beer. Seriously, nobody wants you to get hurt, perhaps I am no longer the young risk taker I once was. Good luck, happy loading, appreciate your ingenuity and determination but please stay safe. I assume you‘re one of the good guys so that is the only intent of this advice.

You're over thinking the issue.....way over thinking it.

I'm not young by any means and have taken well calculated risks all my life regarding the lives and safety of others.

As I stated in a previous post, primers do not magically initiate and there was no risk in the procedure.

Is it that you do not understand the mechanics of what I did or are you just looking for a way to shame me?

I'll choose the first......prove me wrong.

I received a box of loose 5.56 ammo three months ago......all those pointy bullets resting against or potentially resting against another's primer just waiting to be dropped. Get the picture?

[rolleyes] [rolleyes];)

Last edited:
You're over thinking the issue.....way over thinking it.

I'm not young by any means and have taken well calculated risks all my life regarding the lives and safety of others.

As I stated in a previous post, primers do not magically initiate and there was no risk in the procedure.

Is it that you do not understand the mechanics of what I did or are you just looking for a way to shame me?

I'll choose the first......prove me wrong.

I received a box of loose 5.56 ammo three months ago......all those pointy bullets resting against or potentially resting against another's primer just waiting to be dropped. Get the picture?

[rolleyes] [rolleyes];)
Its actually hard to set off primers with out that small firing pin slamming into them.
Try it some time set some primers out on something hard like a anvil or vice and see what it takes to set them off.

The risk of it going off I feel is “low”
Im thinking even the cheapest of dies would take more pressure than what is needed to unseat the bullet or primer.
So your going to get a hot flash out of the primer hole or a bullet that pops out of the neck.

Its actually hard ti set off primers with out that small firing pin slamming it them.
Tey it some time set some primers out on something hard like a anvil or vice and see what it takes to set them off

It's even harder when they are installed in a primer pocket, especially when there is NO FORCE being applied to them.

That's why they are classified as ORM-D material for shipping purposes. They are actually very stable devices.

I sometimes run .223 cases through a Lee Bulge Buster set up with a .380 factory crimp die when the rim won't fit in the shell holder on the hand priming tool. Mostly PPU cases! The cases fit the case gauge but not the shell holder. I save them until I have a box full of and run them when I get bored. I've run a couple loaded rounds through the die too. I lubed em up good and they went through easy.

It's even harder when they are installed in a primer pocket, especially when there is NO FORCE being applied to them.

That's why they are classified as ORM-D material for shipping purposes. They are actually very stable devices.
I set a primer off many years ago seating it in a .556 case. I pushed a little harder than I should have. Scared the shit out of me. Accidents happen.

I set a primer off many years ago seating it in a .556 case. I pushed a little harder than I should have. Scared the shit out of me. Accidents happen.

Ok, so is there an applicable point to that regarding my situation? I wasn't installing a primer, it was already in the casing. I was working on the other end of the cartridge.

Installing( seating ) a primer does not equal a primer already installed.

Sure, accidents happen but "magic" does not.

Back
Top Bottom