• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Herters Small Parts

Is there something special about these dies? if not I would dump them, probably not worth the hassle. You can get a set of Lee or Hornandy dies fairly inexpensively. Unless they are for some ultra rare cartridge that no one else makes dies for.

I have an ad in the reloading section, selling lock rings. They were for RCBS dies, but most dies are a standard size/thread.

I’ve got some Herters reloading dies in need of small parts—lock rings, decapping pins, etc. No luck on EBay. Any ideas?
Are they standard thread sizes?
Theres a whole network of people on cast boolits for the vintage reliading gear and at least 2 machinist on there that could probably help with custom stuff.
I had some custom suzing dies and top punches made

Unfortunately, the lock rings I need are for the top-most portion of the die, the lock ring that retains the bullet seating plug and/or the de-capping pin. I do not think they are STD sizes. I also need a de-capping pin; another unique item that shares no parts with RCBS. I guess I will try CastBoolits. They are special to me, 6.5 x 257!

Wow. I just read up and didn't know Herter's had such a history.

I just know them as the BPS generic brand made my Winchester. Didn't know they were an independent company back to the 1930s.

Wow. I just read up and didn't know Herter's had such a history.

I just know them as the BPS generic brand made my Winchester. Didn't know they were an independent company back to the 1930s.
There used to be a Herter's catalog back in the 1970s where you could order reloading equipment, etc.

So I need the set-screw on the right side of the photo, and probably the entire left side of the de-capping rod. It is a thin threaded rod with a 6.5 mm neck expander and decapping pin

Attachments

• Herters.jpg
    Herters.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 11
So it turns out that the small lockring (to the right of the photo) is common to Lyman dies. I think the entire de-capping rod and hand-screw are compatible as well. However, Lyman is out-of-stock (just like everything else right now). Off to CastBoolits forum!

Back
Top Bottom