• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hi, New here, I have a gun show question...

Hi folks I am new here.

I have a question, I live in Mass, what are the regulations for going to a Vermont gun show and buying a gun?

It would be the same as going out of state to a gun shop. Long guns are fine (unless it falls under the heading of the MA ban on "assault weapons"). Hand guns are a no no, unless it's something that can be shipped to a MA dealer for them to do the paperwork. Unless you have a C&R and the hand gun is on the C&R list.

If it's a long gun, or a C&R hand gun, remember to bring a trigger/cable lock with you. :D

You also can only purchase from FFLs out of state. All the unlicensed people selling at the show are off-limits when you're from out-of-state.

Ken

snowjoker said:
Thanks folks!! Great to get such quick responses. Where can I get a C&R list? Is there a website?

You have to apply for a C&R license hun (through the BATF). They'll send you a book with all the info and what guns are okay to buy. Do a search for the C&R info - it's been discussed in here.

snowjoker said:
Thanks again folks. I am actually working on getting my Dealer FFL in the near future. I was just curious about the relics list.

That just caused me to think of a question.... When someone gets an FFL, do they also get a listing of the approved C&R guns?? Nickle??

Lynne, C&R FFLs get the same books from BATFE as ALL FFLs get. Therefore, the answer is yes, they get the C&R List. Only problem is that BATFE hasn't be publishing that book for the past number of years. They are posting updates on their websites, and many dealers "don't do the web"!

LenS said:
Lynne, C&R FFLs get the same books from BATFE as ALL FFLs get. Therefore, the answer is yes, they get the C&R List. Only problem is that BATFE hasn't be publishing that book for the past number of years. They are posting updates on their websites, and many dealers "don't do the web"!

Thanks hun. I know I get updates that don't deal with me (my C&R), but I wasn't sure if there were separate books, etc.

IIRC, can't you transfer a longgun from a non-licensed seller through an FFL holder (all usual fees apply :D)? Thought having the seller carry it to a licensed dealer at the show for transfer was functionally the same as having a non-licensed seller take it to an FFL for transfer out of state.

Damn! The errors I could make without this well of expertise to draw upon!

Ray, you are correct. The unlicensed seller could sell it thru an FFL at the gun show to the other unlicensed buyer if they both don't reside in the same state. This would be a legal transaction.

Lynne said:
It would be the same as going out of state to a gun shop. Long guns are fine (unless it falls under the heading of the MA ban on "assault weapons"). Hand guns are a no no, unless it's something that can be shipped to a MA dealer for them to do the paperwork.

QUESTION What if you have a non-resident LTC for that state?
Are you then able to buy hand guns?

PP,

NO! All interstate transfers are regulated by BATFE and they do NOT recognize any state/local licenses! Such a transaction would be a Federal Felony!

Back
Top Bottom