High Power Rifle Advice Needed

I have been shooting my 10/22 for some time now. I did a couple Appleseed events and it was a great learning tool, but i'm itchy to try something new (I shot rifleman now what?). I tried some IDPA shooting and i'm not that excited by it (no offense to anyone). Since I really enjoy the "Appleseed style" of shooting I was thinking that high power rifle might interest me next.

I don't know anything except that I will need an AR to engage in this kind of shooting. Can anyone offer some newb advice on what rifle to buy? I have read good things about the RRA NM rifles. Anything else? I do have an NES lower sitting in my safe...does it make any sense to build one from scratch? Don't want to be buying a new rifle in 6 months because I was too cheap or stupid.....

Are there any "intro to high power rifle" clinics held for this kind of shooting? I live in central MA right on the NH border so I could travel north or south.

TIA for your help....

Rifle: Get a RRA lower with 2 stage trigger to start, throw a WhiteOak upper on it and you'll be good to go.

Keep an eye on Nashua and Reading as both of those clubs will run clinics now and then. If you want to get a rifle just show up at Reading with an open mind and keep your ego home for the day. The HP guys there are great and will gladly accept a newbie shooter and show them the ropes.

Last edited:
I agree about Reading. I came in last place but had a great time learning and listening to the advise I was given. It seems I was shooting the wrong target half the time but at least they were good shoots. [rofl]

This was about 10 years ago when you needed to shoot a match to be eligible to purchase a M1 Garand. The other thing with this novice shoot was they were very helpful teaching all the basics. The one thing that got to me was being prone for so long in just a t-shirt was when it was time to get up my left arm was basically dead. I couldn't raise my arm to support the rifle and it took quite awhile to recover. It seems I had a pinched nerve not that I'm blaming that on my score, I just plain suck but still loved the match.

Last edited:
Rifle: Get a RRA lower with 2 stage trigger to start, throw a WhiteOak upper on it and you'll be good to go.

The White Oak upper looks great. RRA offers the lower with the CAR stock or the A2 stock. Being in MA, I have to pin the CAR...Is there any good reason I should go with the CAR over the A2?

Looks like Nashua is having a match this weekend, I may go and watch to see what its all about.

You will need the A2 stock. They allowing the adjustable CAR stock for juniors but it needs to pined for the short arms. I agree totally with Derek. As far as Reading or Nashua is concerned we will help as much as possible, we encourage new shooters. If you can't find someone to talk with at the match this weekend in Nashua, just ask for me.

Almost any of the CMP style rifles will be capable of cleaning the course with the right ammo. Of all of them, I think the RRA probably has the best trigger. Bushmaster being the worst trigger.

B

Keep an eye on Nashua and Reading as both of those clubs will run clinics now and then. If you want to get a rifle just show up at Reading with an open mind and keep your ego home for the day. The HP guys there are great and will gladly accept a newbie shooter and show them the ropes.

Rifle: This was the same advice I got from another High Power shooter. I'm saving for the White Oak upper. But for a lower I've already got a new stripped lower and a DPMS kit and stock I had on hand for another build. Just picked up the RRA 2 stage trigger.

You'll also have to budget for a quality spotting scope, stand, mat, jacket etc.

I'll be at nashua Saturday with some gear. You're welcome to it...(i can't shoot for 2 weekends....cut my thumb up bad today). If they'll allow it, a bit of coaching too.

I'll be at nashua Saturday with some gear. You're welcome to it...(i can't shoot for 2 weekends....cut my thumb up bad today). If they'll allow it, a bit of coaching too.
Alright...first your eye, now your thumb!? What the heck did you do to your thumb?

Very nice of you to offer...thank you. I'm going to stop in at Nashua this weekend to chat with some folks, and see how the matches work etc. I really want to spend some quality time on the 200/300yd range at HSC to get a feel for it before i shoot with a crowd.

I'm going to call White Oak in the morning to order an upper. For $55 they offer An upgrade to pin the rear sight base....seems like a worthy option...anyone agree or disagree?

Also 1/4 MOA or 1/2 adjustments? I'm thinking 1/4 and just click it more....any real world advice?

1/4 seems to be pretty much standard. You probably won't shoot 1/4 MOA right off the bat (I sure don't) but you'll grow into them.

I got the pinned rear sight on my WOA upper. It's a good upgrade in my opinion - the rear sight doesn't move at all unless you want it to, and it seems to me that would be a good thing. [grin]

I'll be at Nashua on Sat too. You don't want my coaching, but I'd be happy to share my gear with you. Best way to get started is to start.

Order placed for the upper this morning.....8-10 week wait time. Think its time to clean out the safe...don't think this one's gonna fit!

Order placed for the upper this morning.....8-10 week wait time. Think its time to clean out the safe...don't think this one's gonna fit!

it's worth the wait. i waited from Jan 2010 until April 2010 for mine... but when it arrived, i was excited. when i shot it, i was super excited. i almost shot a sub-1" group @ 100 yards with irons! i don't complete so it was pretty damn good. [laugh]

to date: the best ammo that worked in mine was the Hornady 77gr. 223

i still have to try out some Privi and Black hills through ... if you don't reload (i don't), you may want to consider a good source for match ammo. the gun stores near me (middlesex county) RARELY have any in stock.

They say that, but don't be shocked if it lands on your doorstep in 4 weeks. Mine took about 4 weeks and that was only a month before Camp Perry. [thumbsup]

I own a WOA and a Bushy. Add the Rock River to that list, and I wouldn't feel handicapped with any of them on the line.
Put the lower together yourself and add an upper from those I listed.

It's a big target.

That's a generous offer from Jeff that would be wise and fun to accept.
This Saturdays (8/28) match is being run by Chris Metildi but if asked before the match i doubt he would have a problem with someone helping a new shooter out.
As long as none of the other competitiors complain of an unfair advantage.... :) doubtfull to happen

Full remaining schedule @ http://www.nfga.org/highpower/highpower.html

We also have two NHHPRL League matches left and coaching is allowed in those matches.
cof = 10 offhand, 20 sitting rapid, 20 300 prone rapid. unlimited sighters in 2 mins before each stage.
Free 600 practice after league match as well.

George

I'm interested in the same thing. i'm taking a CMP clinic in Gloucester on September 26 at Cape ann Sportsmans club. I think it is open to the public ant is $50.

Back
Top Bottom