"High-Power" Rifle Decision

I have a dpms pattern .308 AR built from an 80% lower when it was still allowed in MA. Yes I eFA10'd it at the time with serial number blank.

It's a pretty nice shooter, and I don't want to dissuade you from a semi-automatic. But it's a "SASS" type gun, really only set up to shoot from a bench using a bipod. very much "single use" type of firearm.

My only other non-AR centerfire rifle is the Gunsite Scout Rifle. It's a pretty decent rifle. Handy size and weight. Does many things well, perhaps none of them perfectly. I've played around with the open sights, a red-dot, a forward rail mounted 2-7x long eye relief scout scope, and a traditional 4-16x scope mounted over the receiver. I've shot it off-hand, from bags, and with a bipod. I have carried it on a sling. I have 3, 5, and 10-round mags for it. buttstock spacers come standard to adjust LOP. It literally shoots everything I feed it within 2moa. "target" ammo maybe a little tighter but not really a tack driver. Trigger is just OK. I want to change from the standard flash hider to a different compensator. Maybe another Griffin. It definitely fits the "If you can only have one do-it-all gun" mold. Not a benchrest target rifle. Closer to a hunting rifle, with "scout rifle" qualities. No AWB premium, and there are probably even a few on the used market at non-rapey prices.

Last edited:
The AR-10 as available today was introduced by Eagle Arms in the mid 90's and is not based on the original AR-10 design. Instead it is an upscaled AR-15. Having a legacy moniker does not make it exempt.

Well, I would say you're partially right. The current AR-10 was introduced by ArmaLite (after Eagle Arms bought the name). And it didn't use the original AR-10 schematics. However, it is decidedly not an upscaled AR-15. The BCG may not be exactly like the original AR-10s, but it's no closer to an AR-15 than to the original AR-10. There were some design improvements that came from the AR-15 and decisions for parts commonality, but that doesn't make it a derivative of the AR-15. Moving from slab sides to a fenced lower receiver doesn't make it an AR-15.

Modern Porsche 911s do not use the schematics of the original 911s, but that doesn't make them less of a 911. The 911 also incorporates parts commonality and design improvements that have been developed on other Porsches, but that doesn't make modern 911s versions of those other cars.

Also, ArmaLite built the current version of the AR-10 with an SR-25 upper as a test bed. The SR-25 came about from Eugene Stoner as further development and improvement of his AR-10 design. Yes, it also incorporated design improvements that had been developed on the AR-15, but that doesn't change the core of the firearm.

Now, if you were strictly talking about the DPMS Gen II, I could see a case for it being an upscaled AR-15. But the AR-10, nope. It's seen lots of variations, but its lineage is pretty solid.

I have a dpms pattern .308 AR built from an 80% lower when it was still allowed in MA. Yes I eFA10'd it at the time with serial number blank.

It's a pretty nice shooter, and I don't want to dissuade you from a semi-automatic. But it's a "SASS" type gun, really only set up to shoot from a bench using a bipod. very much "single use" type of firearm.

My only other non-AR centerfire rifle is the Gunsite Scout Rifle. It's a pretty decent rifle. Handy size and weight. Does many things well, perhaps none of them perfectly. I've played around with the open sights, a red-dot, a forward rail mounted 2-7x long eye relief scout scope, and a traditional 4-16x scope mounted over the receiver. I've shot it off-hand, from bags, and with a bipod. I have carried it on a sling. I have 3, 5, and 10-round mags for it. buttstock spacers come standard to adjust LOP. It literally shoots everything I feed it within 2moa. "target" ammo maybe a little tighter but not really a tack driver. Trigger is just OK. I want to change from the standard flash hider to a different compensator. Maybe another Griffin. It definitely fits the "If you can only have one do-it-all gun" mold. Not a benchrest target rifle. Closer to a hunting rifle, with "scout rifle" qualities. No AWB premium, and there are probably even a few on the used market at non-rapey prices.

I'll have to google SASS.
While I appreciate the information, I think I've moved beyond a semi-auto for a few reasons, mainly my propensity for double taps and the associated cost there of. Someone else also mentiond scout rifles as an option and while I respect them and understand exactly what Jeff Cooper was trying to accomplish with the Steyr, I just don't think they're for me. I feel as though one could adhere to most of Cooper's parameters with a Tikka T3X CTR and have a much greater range of use. Sure, quick target acquisition is more difficult with a traditional mounted scope, but a LPVO with true 1X capability is going to help negate that. Additionally, the ability to put high power glass on it and reach way out, appeals to me. Scout rifles have their benefits and I don't diasgree with any of the resasoning, I just think I'm at a different place right now.

Edit- SASS stands for Semi-Automatic Sniper System. Sounds like a lot of money and a lot of fun!

Those Faxon Arak 21 uppers seem interesting. They make a good sales pitch at least. I don't see them discussed much around here, so I'm not sure if that is telling us something. I don't think they offer them in .308, however; but there may be something similar out there.

I have a bad habit of purchasing ammo for guns I want before I have them. As such, I am currently in possession of some .308 and need something to shoot it out of.

1. Ruger precision rifle or Tikka T3 tactical. Both have far more range than I need, but appeal to me nontheless. They both prescribe to the previously mentioned parameters of bolt action. An appropriate optic would increase the price signifgantly. Both relatively attractive options.

4. Springfield M1A, probably SOCOM 16, or Scout Squad. By and above the most gorgeoues rifle of all the options listed. Relatively pricey. Pre-ban mags are... available? Again, my feeling(possibly wrongly so) is that this rides somewhere between the bolt action and C308 in terms of accuracy. Iron sights are legendary, apparently, and it comes with a pic rail for something else if I desire. Action is reliable but seems vulnerable in extreme conditions(SHTF fantasy BS) and I'm a lefty and don't know about the reciprocating parts hitting my hand. This is a bucket list gun but don't know that it's worth the wait, or is it?

Thanks in advance.
I have the 2 guns quoted above, the M1a being the Scout. IMO, they are night and day, only sharing a caliber. I first shot some 147-150 grain ammo out of my RPR...and it sucked, grouping no better than my 5.56 Mossberg MVP at 200 yards. I switched to 168 grain Amax...and ermuhgawd, a whole different story, suddenly I was Carlos, seemingly able to split hairs and elongate holes. Now I run 168 and 178, though have found some 155 hp that is doing a great job at keeping me deluded. The gun is heavy, prone or bench rest, and you want a good scope on it to complete the picture. I'm running a ffp Vortex 6-24x50.
The M1a Scout, mine started in the plastic stock, severely saddened me with its lousy groupings shooting IMI 150 grain, yet it was great on steel, and .308 is hilarious on steel if all you've shot is 5.56. Anyways, I got a walnut stock for it through Sadlak (a Boyds, but cheaper than on the Boyds site) and bedded it....and suddenly it was a whole 'nuther animal. No precision rifle by any stretch, but after obliterating the steel plate at 200 yards, there was a 4"x5" section left, hanging off one chain, and the gun wouldn't miss. Strange, as a paper plate same distance gets holes all over it with this gun, around a 8" spread shooting 147-150 grain IMI or Malaysian surplus. Battle rifle accuracy. The Scout offers a small rail on top, and I have a 2-7x32 LER scope on it.
The 2 guns, as mentioned, are night and day. I love them both, but their appetites require different food, and the enjoyment they provide is very different from each other.

I've been thinking of getting another .308, and actually feel I might need 2 more....a lighter bolt gun, like the Savage or possibly the Mossberg MVP in .308 (cheap, light, my 5.56 version an over achiever accuracy wise), and another semi auto, lighter than the Scout...and most likely blacker as well. No matter what, I will never have a gun with as much soul as my M1a. I've transplanted some vital organs in it, thanks to overtime and Sadlak, and it's a real sweetheart to shoot, amazingly soft. Shot 140 rounds through it one day and was ready for 140 more. My RPR is getting a can hopefully by the end of the year, different beast, loud, jumps, gives me a stiff neck...but the sub moa stuff gets addictive.

Last edited:
I have a bad habit of purchasing ammo for guns I want before I have them. As such, I am currently in possession of some .308 and need something to shoot it out of. While I have an idea of what I want and some details, I'm still lost as to what might be a good entry into larger caliber rifles. I'm currently monetarily deficient, so an all-around or best bang for buck option is what I'm after. I am also willing to save for the right choice as well, given it makes the most sense. I'll give some options, background, and parameters, and if anyone has any feedback or opinions, I'd greatly apreciate it.

Currently do not own, nor have shot anything larger than 5.56. Range I belong to is limited to 200 yds. If bolt action, I would prefer a single stack, detatchable box magazine fed platform, 10 rds. optimal. Reviews point to some of the "universal" feed magazines being gritty and rough, though I have no first-hand experience. Method of use is for range fun, SHTF fantasy, possible future long range use, and to pop my "high-power" cherry. I do not hunt, and appearance matters as life is too short to own ugly firearms. Options I am considering are:

1. Ruger precision rifle or Tikka T3 tactical. Both have far more range than I need, but appeal to me nontheless. They both prescribe to the previously mentioned parameters of bolt action. An appropriate optic would increase the price signifgantly. Both relatively attractive options.

2. Century Arms C308. Not nearly as accurate, or pretty, but accurate enough at the ranges I'm considering. Much cheaper than other options. Pre-ban mags are easily found and cheap. No optic necessary, LPVO would work well. Would like this gun and feel like it's a true EOTWAWKI firearm, but may feel like I'm settling.

3. AR-10. Familiar with platform, just bigger. More accurate than C308..? Nicely straddles bolt action and C308 for effective range. DMR comes to mind. Optic options are vast, may want bipod. Most expensive option by far, especially in MA. Somewhat attractive gun, in my opinion. Harder to find. If these were priced similarly to AR-15's, I'd already have one.

4. Springfield M1A, probably SOCOM 16, or Scout Squad. By and above the most gorgeoues rifle of all the options listed. Relatively pricey. Pre-ban mags are... available? Again, my feeling(possibly wrongly so) is that this rides somewhere between the bolt action and C308 in terms of accuracy. Iron sights are legendary, apparently, and it comes with a pic rail for something else if I desire. Action is reliable but seems vulnerable in extreme conditions(SHTF fantasy BS) and I'm a lefty and don't know about the reciprocating parts hitting my hand. This is a bucket list gun but don't know that it's worth the wait, or is it?

Thanks in advance.
Savage Axis .308 would be a good, inexpensive choice. I have the stainless version in .223, with a 4X-12X Nikon scope. Sub-MOA performance at a bargain price.

Back
Top Bottom