• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Highlighting "it"?

KBCraig

NES Member
It doesn't look like a skim link, since there is no link, but lately every time I see the word "it", it's highlighted in blue as if it's a clickable link (but isn't).

That's quite bizarre... I can't reproduce this issue.

Is anyone else seeing the same?

Seen it. Safari on an iPad.

Eta: I just made it happen by posting this. The “it” in the sentence above shows up hyperlinked on my device, and I did nuffink to make that happen. In a second, I’ll see whether the quotation marks in this edit made any difference.

Eta: the quotation-marked “it” is not hyperlinked. The first still is.

Seen it. Safari on an iPad.

Eta: I just made it happen by posting this. The “it” in the sentence above shows up hyperlinked on my device, and I did nuffink to make that happen. In a second, I’ll see whether the quotation marks in this edit made any difference.

Eta: the quotation-marked “it” is not hyperlinked. The first still is.

Usually when I see something randomly highlighted or underlined, it's linked to an ad or another page. I see it on forums and articles. No clue how it happens, I've got an ad-blocker on Chrome already.

I still can't reproduce this on my iPhone (WIFI or Cellular) or PC. I even tried my work laptop and iPad with nothing. Has anyone had it happen on a desktop?

Safari on iPhone running iOS 11.2.5 and can see the issue here. The link goes to http://it/. Only happens if the word is surrounded by whitespace, quotes and periods prevent it from occurring.

Read the title about highlighting 'it' and was expecting a poll:

-Bike pants + roll of quarters?
-Old school short gym shorts and a rolled up sock?
-Khakis two sizes too small?

Hey, some guys need help...

[rofl]

Safari on iPhone running iOS 11.2.5 and can see the issue here. The link goes to http://it/. Only happens if the word is surrounded by whitespace, quotes and periods prevent it from occurring.
The image I posted above shows the word followed by period: it. When I've used quotes "it" doesn't get highlighted. Capitalized It gets ignored.

Also, it's not clickable, it just looks like it.

Safari 11.0.3, macOS 10.13.3

MV5BNWNmZmFjNmEtNTg2OS00MTlkLTg5OGYtM2I5YmQ4ZDQxMjZkL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzAxNDU5Mzk@._CR13,315,1375,1375_UX402_UY402._SY201_SX201_AL_.jpg

HTML injection ads by your ISP?
Yes, they do this.
And that's why NES now uses HTTPS for all connections -- though encryption won't necessarily stop your mobile ISP from messing with content directly viewed on a phone, nor skimwords or locally-installed adware.

Nope. And I use Safari, which doesn't work like that.
Scanning the thread, seems like it is only being seen in Safari?

Last edited:
Sometimes, depending on the OS, if there are dots (periods) around things, they turn into links.

And that's why NES now uses HTTPS for all connections -- though encryption won't necessarily stop your mobile ISP from messing with content directly viewed on a phone, nor skimwords or locally-installed adware.

Which has the added benefit to let those whose employers aren’t sniffing HTTPS (yet) from blocking the traffics based on content [smile]

Read the title about highlighting 'it' and was expecting a poll:

-Bike pants + roll of quarters?
-Old school short gym shorts and a rolled up sock?
-Khakis two sizes too small?

Hey, some guys need help...

[rofl]

Can we start one of these, too? Asking for a friend ...

...NES now uses HTTPS for all connections...
Which has the added benefit to let those whose employers aren’t sniffing HTTPS (yet) from blocking the traffics based on content [smile]
Modern corporate web censorware can determine the requested website name from the initial HTTPS(TLS) handshake and block websites without looking into the content. Not all employers have it turned on, but they are one checkbox away from blocking even encrypted websites.

I'm more annoyed when hotels and businesses offer "free" guest WiFi and then turn on URL filtering using the vendor's default deny list.

Modern corporate web censorware can determine the requested website name from the initial HTTPS(TLS) handshake and block websites without looking into the content. Not all employers have it turned on, but they are one checkbox away from blocking even encrypted websites.

I'm more annoyed when hotels and businesses offer "free" guest WiFi and then turn on URL filtering using the vendor's default deny list.

No disagreement here. Most of them started with whitelist/blacklist which became impossible to manage over time, so most of the ones I’m aware of are now doing content based. At least at the enterprise level, small shops probably aren’t doing much

While HTTPS content based inspection is possible, I haven’t heard of many places doing it. With more and more non-business related sites starting to use SSL with cheaper options like LetsEncrypt and Amazon’s Certificate Services, I’m willing to bet that, at least in the US, we’ll see a lot more enterprises starting to expand into SSL inspection.

Edit: Sorry, looks like I might have missed yor point, you’re right of course that they can just block on the domain name regardless of encryption.

Back
Top Bottom