Hints for Gunshop Owners

I've noticed postings from a few gunshop owners and managers, and I'd like to offer a few constructive suggestions as to how to help your shop get a good reputation (besides the obvious "good prices and selection")

All are based on actual experiences I have had in various shops.

• Be polite to customers. If a customer asks where (s)he should unload a carry gun before using a range at your shop, thank him/her for showing you that courtesy rather than snap back with "you sure aren't making things easy for me."

Don't BS your customers or tolerate it from your staff. If you tell your customers you are "well connected" with Glock, be sure you at least know who the local Glock rep is ... you never know when your customer is someone who knows the factory people.

If a customer wants to field strip a gun before purchase, offer to do it for him if you are concerned he will mar the finish, but don't retort with "that gun is not getting field stripped until its paid for."

Don't assume you know more that the customer about every aspect of firearms and related technologies.

If you're refusing to do something legal out of a sense of caution, be up front about it with the customer. Tell him "That's technically legal, but I don't feel comfortable doing it" rather than stating "that's illegal" when that is not really the case - stating falsehoods undermines your credibility.

Know how to differentiate "fact" from "opinion", and don't try to market your personal opinions as "established fact."

If a customer comes in looking for a specific firearm, and you don't have it, listen to what he wants. Don't dismiss what the person wants because you would rather sell something from the store. Offer to order the firearm that they want. Or give a good reason, not a BS reason just to sell what you already have, why what you have might be just as good, or better than what the customer is looking for.

Greg said:
Drinking coffee and talking to a regular that just comes in the shop everyday to shoot the shit, while ignoring a customer that comes through the door is not advised.

+1

ACKNOWLEDGE them when they walk in and tell them if they would like to look at anything or have any questions, just ask.

(Nothing ticks me off more than feeling like I'm intruding, in a store yet!)

I realize that some dealers want to do a quick turn around whenever a used gun comes into their shop, as soon as it comes in, it gets put in the display case without it ever being cleaned. I've passed on some handguns that otherwise I would have bought because of this.

"I realize that some dealers want to do a quick turn around whenever a used gun comes into their shop, as soon as it comes in, it gets put in the display case without it ever being cleaned."

VERY foolish, short-sighted gun shop! Ask any auto dealer about detailing used cars. [wink]

VERY foolish, short-sighted gun shop! Ask any auto dealer about detailing used cars. [wink]

I know with cars that works both ways. If you clean your car and detail your car before you bring it in for trade, you usually get better trade in value. I wonder if that works for guns?

Gary

I work at a local Gun shop in MA and it amazes me how many customers bring in firearms to put on consignment that are filthy. No common sense.

Shepherd said:
I work at a local Gun shop in MA and it amazes me how many customers bring in firearms to put on consignment that are filthy. No common sense.

Guess they figure that they'll never have to clean it again since they're getting rid of it. I always cleaned mine before selling them on the "if it looks cleaner I'll get more for it" theory.

BTW, Shepherd... can you tell us which store you work for? No problem if you can't. Just wondering.

All are fantastic points.

I've seen most of them ignored, especially at guns shows, and won't buy from a BS artist.

The biggest one is NEVER BS the customer, he may know more about the subject than you do. That applies double to BSing the ladies. Some of them know way more than they let on.

I usually play moderately dumb when walking into a shop where I'm not known. Keep in mind that I have a way better than normal knowledge of ammo, and a decent knowledge of firearms in general.

One good thing to do is educate your customer. I really like gun shops where the staffers will talk to me about what I'm buying and tell me what I don't know. (If they have time, of course!) But an educated shooter is your best customer...

Nickle said:
All are fantastic points.
The biggest one is NEVER BS the customer
Some of the one's I've heard:

"We're well connected at Glock" - and then the shop tried to impress us with their credentials as Glock armorers and MA instructors (both of us who were visiting that day had both) - and they didn't even know the name of the local Glock rep. But, they were "Well connected with Glock" :)

"This is not a frame or a gun, it has no serial number" - the frame I was having transferred from out of state (in the old days) had a serial number which was the same as a common caliber. Eventually, the clerk agreed to FA10+4473 it.

Once I had him convinced it was a serial number, he told me "Yeah, I know the people at that factory and talk to them all the time." Nope, he didn't know the name of the president or of any of the people who answer the phones at the factory. In this case, I would definitely have known if he was in touch with the factory.

Yup, I've heard similar BS. I see a lot of it at gun shows, and it's fun to see one of them try their BS on me, while observing the dealer at the next table (that knows me) react. That's a hoot.

Nickle said:
That applies double to BSing the ladies. Some of them know way more than they let on.

Thank you dear. Yes, we do. I had one guy at the Marlboro show try to feed me a line about 3 or 4 years ago. I let him dig his hole, then I set him straight in no uncertain terms. I also did it in ear shot of numerous people, a few of whom were women. When I finished, they all grinned and walked away.

I love it when my wife does that.

She knows more about the gun business than she lets on, especially ammo. Of course, when you're selling it at gun shows, you learn quick.

Gun Dealer "Experts"

The best one from a dealer at a recent MA gun show was "Federal law overrides state law, these LEO marked Glock mags are legal for civilians, and if you would pay attention and listen to me you might learn something since you clearly don't understand the law."

Nickle said:
Another huge hint:

Never bash your competition. Let the customers make up their own minds.
Unless you can save some poor unsuspecting person some legal hassles. Like in the case of mags.

JonJ said:
Unless you can save some poor unsuspecting person some legal hassles. Like in the case of mags.

Of course. I consider that as educating the customer.

My intent was to not run down another shop as crooked/high priced/poorly stocked/idiots or other non legal points.

Nickle said:
JonJ said:

Of course. I consider that as educating the customer.

My intent was to not run down another shop as crooked/high priced/poorly stocked/idiots or other non legal points.
[wink]

Here's one that came up most recently...
Know the product you are selling, especially if it comes from your rep.(obviously consignment is a little different because of odd things coming in). I asked a shop owner how to field strip a gun I was going to buy from him and he said, "ohh it's complicated, read the instructions, I can't even do it" Note: this item is a well known brand that everyone sells and this model is something that has been out for years, so if you don't know your own product by now....enough said!

Here's one that came up most recently...
Know the product you are selling, especially if it comes from your rep.(obviously consignment is a little different because of odd things coming in). I asked a shop owner how to field strip a gun I was going to buy from him and he said, "ohh it's complicated, read the instructions, I can't even do it" Note: this item is a well known brand that everyone sells and this model is something that has been out for years, so if you don't know your own product by now....enough said!

If I'm not mistaken (Scriv?), by law they have to show you how to break it down and reassemble it.

Here's one that has been said but is always very important...
Say Hi! Or at least, can I help you?
Well maybe it's just me when I go to this shop down the street from me in North Attleboro. One time I ended up asking if he'd match a price that FS had on a .22 a couple months back (FS was 360, this guy 410), the owner said he will not match prices and he warned me that he was going to call FS (because he knows Carl well) to verify the price I brought to him. He gave me an attitude and I said in my head...F#ck this guy. Since then, I have bought 4 firearms, all through Carl and a case and half of ammo.
Now, when I go into this local place to look around, I get faces and no warm welcomes.
Sucks to be you little shop down the street...I got dough to burn baby! Plus your prices match your attitude...up your arse!!!

I'd say definetly know the laws. When I inquired about if a rifle I was interested in buying was considered a "high-capacity" rifle, this is the response I got from the gunshop.

"FID holders in MA cannot purchase any weapon that holds more than 4 rounds which the KelTec certainly does.You need a Class A license to purchase such a weapon."

[rolleyes]

I've bought an M44 and a Mossberg 500 from them, both of which certainly hold more than four rounds.

I'd say definetly know the laws. When I inquired about if a rifle I was interested in buying was considered a "high-capacity" rifle, this is the response I got from the gunshop.

"FID holders in MA cannot purchase any weapon that holds more than 4 rounds which the KelTec certainly does.You need a Class A license to purchase such a weapon."

Was this employee part of some "special" hiring program? [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom