History on Quicksand Pond Gun Club - Little Compton, RI ?

In reviewing some family history, apparenltly I had a great grandfather who worked at the Quicksand Pond Gun Club in Little Compton, RI. This would have been prior to 1928 because that's when he passed away. Quicksand Pond exists, but I can't find anything the old gun club. Would be great to make a connection or learn more. Any local historians on the board? Thanks.

I have never heard of this club. You'd might want to reach out to the Little Compton Historical Society.

Thanks. I found this information in a piece about my grandmother which is being submitted to the LCHS as she was a well known member of the community. Hopefully they know more!

Thanks. I found this information in a piece about my grandmother which is being submitted to the LCHS as she was a well known member of the community. Hopefully they know more!

Yeah, the Historical Society would probably be a great place to start. Depending on how much time you have, you could also go to the RI Secretary of State to see if the club was ever incorporated and the Little Compton Town Clerk to check the land records.

Both of those would require a fair amount of research. I don't know how far back the Secretary of State's records go back. Little Compton's land records will probably go back to the early 1700s, but you don't really have a starting point beyond a date of 1928. I do know that Newport Rifle Club was the first club established in RI in 1876. So the club would've presumably been active somewhere between 1876 and 1928, assuming the club was founded after Newport Rifle but before 1928.

Most of the clubs in RI were founded between 1900 and 1950.

As a kid, after countless TV shows and movies, I'd have gone nowhere near the place. Quicksand???? Are you crazy??? Quicksand Pond?????? Is that next to R.O.U.S. Lake?

Back
Top Bottom