HK91 Varients

What can anyone tell me about the varients out on the market? Im looking for a decent battle rifle that won't break the bank. What/who makes the most reliable? PTR?
[mg]

I like the idea of plentiful pre ban mags.....

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I had a PTR. Its ok, but it just felt cheap. Stamped sheet body, the bolt carrier mustve been 2 pounds. Trigger was the weight of the world. Charging handle is cool at first, but the recoil spring noise was like nails on a chalkboard. Gun also weighed a ton. I guess its ok if you're on a budget, but if you're stepping up to semi auto 308, just get something decent. My $0.02.

I bought a Century C308 last month - that's the most reasonable cost of the lot for a .308 battle rifle of the type. I have been straight out with work and haven't even run a single round through it, but by all accounts, it's....not match rifle accurate.

I have a century c308 that I bought as my first rifle this year.
Shot it 2 weeks ago for the first time. About 90 rounds through it give or take a few.

Once I had it dialed in with a cheap utg scope, it stayed on target.
Had 1 malfunction.
I dont regret my purchase at all.
Mags are cheap, it likes steel cased ammo, accessories are relatively cheap, but some can be harder to find unless you want to pay a premium.

My best shot was blowing up a golf ball at 100 yards. Haven't shot it further yet.

I've done some research into G3 variants because I'm considering buying a real HK91. Karl of InRange swears by his CETME clone and the gun did better than most other 7.62 NATO battle rifles from the era, such as the FAL, in the InRange mud testing. Most people are satisfied with the PTR91s. A PTR doesn't really appeal to me because I've handled a couple and they had the ergonomics of wood planks. I've also handled a Century C308 and that felt much better.

The only G3 variants with substantially documented reliability issues are the C308s, but that seems to depend on the owner. All the guns should run steel cased ammo reliably. There's a bunch of info on HK forums about what to look for when buying a HK91, which I'm sure also applies to a PTR or Century.

The only G3 variants with substantially documented reliability issues are the C308s, but that seems to depend on the owner. All the guns should run steel cased ammo reliably. There's a bunch of info on HK forums about what to look for when buying a HK91, which I'm sure also applies to a PTR or Century.

You can spend about half the money and get the Greek/Nato made Springfield SAR-3 or SAR-8/3 (an SAR-3 with an 8 stamped over the 3). Made on by HK for NATO in Greece and pre-ban. Don't get the later SAR-8 made by Springfield here in the US, its crap.

What are actual HK91s bringing these days? I remember them being relatively affordable, at least as far as HK rifles rifles from the era go.

Claw scope mount works nicely, but "de pristines'' the painted finish where it clamps down. No free lunch.

PSG-1 is the telephone company variant ("Long distance - the next best thing to being there" ..... "Reach out .... reach out and touch someone") designed for sniper use, with a different trigger group (optimized for sniper rather than general merc work). Generally recognized at a glance by the wood adjustable grip (though you still need to make sure it a real PSG-1 if that is what you seek).

Last edited:
Wow! I recently sold a 1978 91 for under 3K - with fixed+paratrooper stock and bipod.

North of 3K, local shop has one for $3900.

Had no problems with a PTR through a decent amount of rounds, decent gun but sold it since I never shot it. My C308 is pure garbage, the the rear sight fell off, cocking tube is bent(it's a bolt hold open!), and you need an act of congress to get the mag to actually seat.

An HK91 was the second rifle I ever bought, maybe 30 years ago. It's my favorite all around. I've never owned any of the clones, so my comments are on the HK.

I had a Century Arms PTR and didn’t really care for it. Bruised my shoulder worse than a 12 gauge and was picky about the ammo it ate. Also pretty front heavy.

TIGHT into the shoulder turns the slam into a strong shove. A rubber stock end helps, too. Mine would fire anything the right shape. It is a heavy beast.

Most inaccurate thing I ever shot. Absolutely uncontrollable. Until one day at the range some random dude asked if he could try it. I told him sure, but you'll be lucky if the round hits in the same zip code as the target. He walks downrange, lined up half a dozen bic lighters, walked back, sighted in (this one has iron, no glass) and with me laughing my as** off, moves down the line from left to right. Did not miss once. I wasn't laughing when he handed me the rifle back, though. Knowing now the rifle was dead nuts accurate, I finally learned to shoot it. Honestly it was a lot like that scene in Lethal Weapon where the guy shoots a smiley face on the target.

What are actual HK91s bringing these days? I remember them being relatively affordable, at least as far as HK rifles rifles from the era go.

I paid about $900

North of 3K, local shop has one for $3900.

o_O

They have a fluted chamber so kiss the brass goodbye anyway

You'll never find the brass. It's in the next county by the time it hits dirt. If you do, it will look like an ogre chewed on it.

All this is based on owning an original. The clones probably vary in quality, fit, finish and cost.

Mildly relevant Lethal Weapon clip I mentioned above:

The biggest impediment to accuracy in this platform is the trigger. Its a typical military trigger so you want to get a trigger job done or upgrade the trigger pack for better accuracy. It plenty accurate with the stock trigger but can be so much better with an upgrade.

They have a fluted chamber so kiss the brass goodbye anyway
Oh yeah forgot about that. My PTR was a weapon of mass destruction. It would kill what you were aiming at, anyone within ten yards of the muzzle blast and anyone to your right where the brass ejected.

I think the ejected brass moved faster than the bullet. It would be bent almost in half and fly like 20 yards

The biggest impediment to accuracy in this platform is the trigger. Its a typical military trigger so you want to get a trigger job done or upgrade the trigger pack for better accuracy. It plenty accurate with the stock trigger but can be so much better with an upgrade.
PSG-1 trigger pack

Willians Set trigger if you want a proven affordable option. I bet a good Smith coul take up the slack too. A real PSG1 trigger group will set you back almost as much as most clone rifles cost or more depending on what you buy.

Back
Top Bottom