• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Holbrook Gun Show - November 18-20

OK, I came across a sign that said that they are going to have a show that weekend.

If it's the one that I think that it is, where they have the indoor range below the club, and that upstairs room, then it's not a bad show.

Everytime that I've been, that guy that Len likes is there. Sorry Len, I forgot the name...but they have that HUGE booth thing where the kids work it as well. The guy that I get my plastic ammo boxes from...

C-pher,

That's the place. I haven't attended one of their shows since they were forced out of the National Guard Armory (Braintree), where I worked the GOAL table.

So I can only guess that the show is in the 100-ish tables range. I wouldn't recommend that folks travel a great distance to these small shows. Some interesting stuff occasionally shows up, but they certainly aren't a big (for this area 300-500 tables is "big") show.

C-pher, I assume you are being sarcastic about "the guy Len likes", but I am unsure who you mean.

Sorry I didn't post the link. Thanks Len...it's just over by Brockton.

And Len, I wasn't. It's that guy that you asked if he was still doing the Marlboro show. Has the good selection of holsters. Has the kids that will help run the booth. The booth is all the way around and they work in the middle.

I swear I can't remember the name. But for some reason Taylor comes to my mind.

Yea, it's not a very big show. But, they seem to have better deals that the larger ones. So that's why I like to go.

Holy crow!

You mean Walton's Gun Supply?

Great folks, Lance, his Wife and Kids! One is off in college now, I think Lance told me her gun show candy bar business paid the way! :)

OK, if anyone really wants to look at leather, ballistic nylon, etc. holsters, purses, purse-belts.Lance is the guy in these parts for those products. You should plan on attending this show if you need that sort of gear.

CRAP!

I forgot about this...and I'm the one that posted it. I don't konw now if I can make it. We had a wedding last weekend, so we had to move some appointments to this weekend. So now I think that I'm SOL for this one.

And I needed to get some more boxes from Walton's...

I'm going to see what I can do.

C-pher said:
CRAP!

I forgot about this...and I'm the one that posted it. I don't konw now if I can make it. We had a wedding last weekend, so we had to move some appointments to this weekend. So now I think that I'm SOL for this one.

And I needed to get some more boxes from Walton's...

I'm going to see what I can do.

If you do go... No better way to get the concealment options you have been looking for.

Adam

C-pher said:
Yea, that's where I get most of them in the first place. But if I do, I think that I'll bring my guns with me.

Yeah and a good belt too.. That way, you can put your gun in the holster, and try it on first.

Adam

I't relatively small, but not bad.

What I liked was they don't care if you carry there, but it has to be empty. They put a sticker on your piece to show that observed it getting emptied. Nothing in the chamber and mag in pocket is ok with them.

Well we have a CMP shoot and I have RO duty on Saturday til 1PM (Braintree R&P), and SWMBO wants to attend the 15-minute defensive tactics training that SAS has alloted Michael DeBethencourt at 3PM (also at BR&P), so Saturday is very doubtful.

Sunday I'm planning on joining Jim Conway (I haven't had enough abuse this week! [roll] ) for choir practice in the "North Country" (in MA), so Holbrook looks like a "pass" for me.

I saw a nice Garand, circa 1945, destined to be out for sale at Holbrook.
VERY nice shape if'n anyone's interested. The dealer also has a premo model 94 in 30WCF built in 43.
Maybe I'll be making an appearance.
CJC

Has anyone gone? I was out and around and saw signs for a gun show so I looked it up here.

Is there admission fees?

Let me know your thoughts!!

I just got back

Forgive me, I don't mean this in any way as a slight against weekend gun dealers, but ......

WHAT ARE THEY THINKING??????

$600 for a Ruger Vaquero??????!!!!

Does anyone actually BUY guns at these shows?

I didn't see anything on my list that wasn't 20 to 40 percent higher than FS or Collectors...

I'm a capitalist and they should charge whatever they can get, but are there really people out there who would pay those prices???

Thanks for letting me rant

Re: I just got back

News Shooter said:
I'm a capitalist and they should charge whatever they can get, but are there really people out there who would pay those prices???

Of course there are. If there wasn't anyone willing to pay that amount, they wouldn't charge it, and there wouldn't be any shows. People will inevitably get caught up in the moment, and make purchases just because they are there, and there is money in their pockets.

Re: I just got back

[/quote]

Of course there are. If there wasn't anyone willing to pay that amount, they wouldn't charge it, and there wouldn't be any shows. People will inevitably get caught up in the moment, and make purchases just because they are there, and there is money in their pockets.[/quote]

Well, God bless us every one [lol]

I didn't want to say it that way

But that's exactly the way I felt..I feel like I was conned out of $6 admission and $10 worth of gas

That's three in a row for me. As much as like browsing..I don't think I'm going to waste my time again.

It's interesting, because I come from Texas and you could actually get some good deals at gun shows there.

Anyway..no hard feelings...just no more wasted time or money

Yea, we had the Bill Goodmans Gun and Knife show once a month in Ohio. And you could always get a good deal there.

But the thing is, you wait and then haggle and you can get a good price.

But these shows I go for the things other than the guns. Like I said, plastic ammo cases and the like. They almost always have a good deal on that stuff.

I went, mostly with the intent of buying some ammo for Buy Ammo Week. I went with a friend back in the spring (or was it Winter). Then there seemed to be a decent number of dealers and selection of "stuff". This time, there seemed to be far fewer dealer, less selection, and prices seemed to me at least a bit high.

My friend has been looking for a Ruger 10/22 off and on since the Spring. We saw a number of them at Holbrook today, but they were all high priced, especially for used weapons.

I saw a nice 20ga Remington, which had a tag of $250.00. I was thinking of making and offer, but decided to wander around some more. I was passing by a dealer that had a fair variety of Russian Milsurp, mostly Mosins. I've been toying with buying one as the are cheap and supposed to be good shooters. Same guy had a SKS, with the bayonet and grenade launcher removed. Seemed to be in good shape, and the price wasn't bad. So, I was going to talk to him and see what he'd take when I noticed a S&W Model 10 under glass. Looking at it from outside, it seemed to be pretty clean. I asked to take a look and inspected it according to what I remember from having been trained on similar guns a long time ago.

No slop in the crane, cylinder felt tight, no erosion on the underside of the top strap (I forget the term for that), barrel clean with good lands and grooves, focing cone looked good. The action felt tight, but new tight, not broken tight. If that makes sense. The grooves on hammer spur and trigger looked and felt new. The only sign of wear was a bit on the blueing at the muzzle and cylinder. It looked like holster wear, not abuse.

All in all, it seemed like a nice piece. He was asking $215.00, which seemed a bit high. However, I had seen a similar weapon, but not in such good shape at another table for $250.00.

We talked a bit and agreed on a price of $200.00 including tax.

This seems like a reasonable price for the condition.

I did buy some ammo for it as well, so Kim will be happy. <G>

Here's the best part. I told my wife about my purchase when I got home. She asked me if I wanted it as a birthday present, but I told her no as I had some free cash lying around. Then she asked my what I did want, and I mentioned that I might want to buy a shotgun or rifle. I was half joking, but all she said was "I know I can't go and pick that out for you". I told her she couldn't, but she could come with me when I went to shop. I was a bit surprised when she agreed. She's never shown much interest in firearms and she was nervous about having them in the house when the kids were small.

I offered to take her shooting some time, and for once she didn't decline. Which lead to a discussion about LTC vs. FID, which lead to her asking how hard it would be to get a LTC.

Married 27 years, and she's still full of surprises.

Note to moderators: If I've rambled off topic too far, please accept my apology and move this as appropriate.

Gary

Congrats on the purchase . . . and the Wife! [wink]

My Wife claimed that she really enjoyed shooting today! Pleasant surprise.

A few guys from Braintree R&P reported that they were at Holbrook earlier. They basically said there weren't any exciting bargains.

Re gun shows in general: If you are used to gun shows in places like FL and TX, don't waste your time at any MA shows. They are about as similar as a Hyundai and a Rolls Royce!! [evil]

MANY gun show prices are higher than the same dealer will sell it for at their shop. I don't know the logic of that, but MrsWW will confirm this for us . . . she told me that Amherst Drop Zone and another place I bought from at the Big E actually boosts their prices at the shows!

LenS said:
MANY gun show prices are higher than the same dealer will sell it for at their shop. I don't know the logic of that, but MrsWW will confirm this for us . . . she told me that Amherst Drop Zone and another place I bought from at the Big E actually boosts their prices at the shows!

Here's how it works and why.

Shop prices are usually firm. Most dealers at gun shows are willing to haggle price. So, they mark the price up and haggle down to their shop price.

Also, a LOT of folks go to gun shows, and don't have a clue what the guns are worth. So, the dealer waits for a rube to come by, and pay the exorbitant price being asked. This happens more than you realize. I've seen dealers asking exorbitant prices for pre-ban AR-15's, NIB, with half the parkerizing worn off the flash supressor, from going into and out of the gun case so much.

Remember, a LOT of the high priced guns at shows go back with the dealers.

And, just so you know, when my father and I are doing a show, we "pre-haggle" the ammo to a reasonable, but FIRM price. I sometimes sell stuff myself, and will drop the price a little, sometimes, especially books.

I don't bother haggling prices at gun shows. I just shake my head and walk by. On the other hand, I always haggle prices on the used guns at my favorite gun shop . . . and I've only lost one that way (it was a butcher job that would have cost a lot to put it back in factory condition).

I went too. Just to check it out. Bigger than the Lunenburg show last month, but still not as big as Marlboro.

But, I agree with everyone on the pricing for guns. Now, I don't know all prices of all guns, but for the guns that I purchased recently from FS and NES and TiteGroup, I knew those prices. And, yes, for these same guns at the show they were all at least 20-30% higher.

BTW, has anyone here have a story where they actually found a "good" deal at a show?

So in looking for an AK or a AR, it was unclear if it would be worth the effort to play the game to haggle anyone down 30% or not. And even if I took the trouble to haggle them the 30% less, I would just end up with the same price as three favorite gun shops. Doesn't sound worth it.
Plus, why do it, especially if you don't know (and can trust) the dealer?? I was there only about 1 hour or so, and saw zero sales of guns. Do these guys hope to make enough on those one or two "uneducated buyer" sales to make the show worth it for them?? Amazine, since they have to pack up all the guns and take them home.

But I did buy some stuff. I bought one of the single plastic pistol cases ($6) which will work great inside my samsonite for my travels. and another double mag paddle ($18) for IPSC, and I found a glock +1 extension for $5. Oh, and my great find was a used duty leather dump pouch, $4. This is perfect for using when I carry my snubnose 38.

But, yes, my days of going to a gun show to "just look around" are now quickly ending, after only 4 shows this past year. But I have the advantage that I can go to gun shops all over the country (TX, AZ, UT have great shops!), as I travel every week. So maybe I'm just spoiled.

Just my 2cents.

Back
Top Bottom