Holderness, NH April 17-18, 2010

April 17-18th 2010
Pemigawasset Fish & Game Club
www.pemi.org
Holderness, NH

New Hampshire has been having an unseasonably warm spring... except this weekend, when it decided to snow and then alternate between snow and rain. The snow and hail started Friday, then proceeded to snow until it turned to rain on Saturday afternoon, and then drizzle in fits and starts throughout Sunday. Fortunately, there was a covered firing line with a very large roof, good walls, and plenty of space beneath for shooting, preparing magazines & gear, and assembling to talk.

We had 5 shooters show up on Saturday. 2 had M1As, one had an M1 Garand, and in a remarkable coincidence the other two both showed up with long-barreled (28" bbls!) CZ452s. As a side note, a .22LR cartridge fired out of a 28" locked breech barrel (such as a bolt action), makes less noise than my air rifle. Two shooters had M1907 slings; the other three had various varieties of web slings. We broke into two groups, with me instructing the M1907 sling users; and Firewall99 instructing the web sling users. It was a real pleasure to show people the use of the M1907 sling; and watch them learn to use it competently.

At noon I took the students back to the clubhouse for some hot chili and history. Went through the preliminaries and the First Strike over lunch. I love teaching that part of history; history gets dull if you just say what people did... but if you can tell them *why* it happened the students may find parallels in their own knowledge and experiences that make it all relevant.

We got to doing AQTs after lunch; and had a great time with the Commemorative Volley. My voice is still rough and sore from shouting the names of the fallen. We got our first volley off at *exactly* 4pm EST; and it was a glorious occasion. Much smoke and smell from the .30 cals under that covered line; very satisfying.

Sunday started off marginally warmer; with occasional rays of sun breaking through the clouds. 4 shooters came back that day. We got a lot more shooting in Sunday; and managed to squeeze in some 200-yard shooting. Much fun was had by all, and some important lessons were learned. Everyone felt like it was a tremendous lesson in how to prepare for shooting at that range.

Many smiles and handshakes all around as we departed at the end of the day on Sunday.

Kudos from Charlie

This in from one of our two CZ shooters,

"Wanted to say thanks again for yours and Carl's excellent instruction at the shoot two weeks ago. I learned so much and developed a long list of things to improve and work on. It was a true learning experience and I have spoken highly of the program to a number of friends.

"Have been researching the Liberty Training Rifle along with my son who will be coming to a shoot someday soon. We are considering our options before spending money. I also bought an excellent nylon GI sling and have rigged it. My son now understands the value of shooting with a sling. I went to the range with him last Sat and shot 50 rounds 40 offhand and 10 sitting Indian style. I showed him many of the fine points you two showed me. His accuracy improved right away. Also taught him the line commands and the sequencing of activity on the firing line.

"Appleseed gave me a lot to digest which is why the experience was so valuable. My goal is to qualify AQT the next time I come to an event. All my training is now focused on the test. I will be ready the next time I come.

"Thanks again for your excellent help. Looking forward to seeing you on the line again soon.

Best,
Charlie Gallagher"

Back
Top Bottom