hollow point has more recoil/kick?

is it true? I bought some accidentally at walmart, i ment to get the cheapest one but i ended up getting box of winchester hollow point.

when i shot them, i didnt really notice any difference after few shots between both hollow and non hollow points.

I always had the impression of them having more recoil and idk why.

Full power self defense ammo often has more recoil than target loads because it's loaded hotter.
Absolutely correct. You'll get lower recoil from wadcutter (or target) rounds because they're loaded to a lower velocity. Why? So you're not dealing with more muzzle blast and recoil when you're target shooting. It doesn't take a full power load to blast through paper, after all.

ah, understandable! thanks guys. i appreciate all the help i've gotten so far! this feels like 2nd home altho i'm not knowledgeable yet.

Yep. I've seen some practice ammo short-stroke on semi-autos that have new recoil springs, esp. if the gun is rated for +P or +P+. Speer Lawman Cleanfire in particular tends to be on the anemic end of the spectrum.

Bullet weight has more to do with recoil than the powder charge.

If you don't believe me, try a 700gr bullet over 25 grains of powder compared to a 240gr over 50 grains.

mike... that your dog? i want him.... he'll be a good addition to my labs to hold up the fort!!! they have their super kongs ready for the burglars. but we need a loud/mean/aggressive barker if he likes to bark.

hehehe

If you don't believe me, try a 700gr bullet over 25 grains of powder compared to a 240gr over 50 grains.
It is a combination of bullet weight & powder charge! I don't believe you are using a 700g bullet in your S&W500, they don't exist unless they are made for the 50 browning. I cast bullets for 50 & 58 cal. BP & none exceed 575g.

I really never use anything buy HP's, when reloading I press HP's on my cases, in my mind is this is what if the time came to it, is what will be fired from my carry gun. Who cares if it is just punching paper at the range. The main thing is that could be cloth...[wink]

Recoil has more to do with bullet weight,powder charge and weight of the gun. The last Lyman manual I bought 48th edition has a formula for figuring out recoil and those above were the determining factors. I know from experience that the load I put in my Sharps 45/70 weighing in at 13 LBS has less recoil than the same load in my Browning 1885 weighing 7 1/2 LBS. Not the same as a handgun I know but in principle the theory is the same.

Recoil has more to do with bullet weight,powder charge and weight of the gun. The last Lyman manual I bought 48th edition has a formula for figuring out recoil and those above were the determining factors. I know from experience that the load I put in my Sharps 45/70 weighing in at 13 LBS has less recoil than the same load in my Browning 1885 weighing 7 1/2 LBS. Not the same as a handgun I know but in principle the theory is the same.

Free recoil, i.e., the actual kinetic energy imparted to the gun as the ejecta (projectile plus powder) leave the barrel, is determined only by the weight and velocity of the ejecta. Felt recoil brings in the mass of the gun because, due to conservation of momentum, a lighter gun will recoil faster than a heavier gun, all things being equal, and the perception of recoil is greater for a light gun moving quickly than for a heavier gun moving slowly.

Free recoil, i.e., the actual kinetic energy imparted to the gun as the ejecta (projectile plus powder) leave the barrel, is determined only by the weight and velocity of the ejecta. Felt recoil brings in the mass of the gun because, due to conservation of momentum, a lighter gun will recoil faster than a heavier gun, all things being equal, and the perception of recoil is greater for a light gun moving quickly than for a heavier gun moving slowly.

I always wondered why my Garand (same M2 ball ammo) felt so much different than my
Rem 700 BDL. Perception. Next time my shoulder kills me shooting the Remington I will
say to myself "It's not real, it's just perception". [grin]

700 grain bullets and loaded S&W 500 Magnum Cartridge

700%20gr%20-%203-s.jpg

I always wondered why my Garand (same M2 ball ammo) felt so much different than my
Rem 700 BDL. Perception. Next time my shoulder kills me shooting the Remington I will
say to myself "It's not real, it's just perception". [grin]

Felt recoil also brings in the action of the gun. Some energy is used in cycling the action and ejecting the spent case. The storage of energy in the spring also changes the curve of the recoil vs time.

I agree to a point. Different powders also have less felt recoil. The difference between Clays and Titegroup was amazing with a 230gr 45 JHP

Recoil is a result of bullet weight, muzzle velocity (first order) and firearm weight. By itself, bullet shape has no effect on recoil (unless it affects one of these parameters).

Add the other factor....Pressure?
Not so much. If you make a bunch of max pressure loads up with the same powder type but with different bullet weights, the bigger bullets are going to give you more recoil than the smaller ones - even though the smaller ones use bigger powder charges.

I am impressed! I wonder if the recoil is greater than than shooting 405g bullets ahead of 50 grains of 2495BR in my non compensated TC Contender in 45-70? I have sheared the forend screw off twice.
Get a .500 S&W barrel for it and I'll give you a few to try.

I agree to a point. Different powders also have less felt recoil. The difference between Clays and Titegroup was amazing with a 230gr 45 JHP

That's definitely true. I loaded the same bullets to the same velocity in my .38 Super with both Blue Dot and AA9 and the AA9 rounds had noticeably more flash, noise and recoil.

I stand by my point though. If you load to max pressure, the heaviest bullets are going to have the most recoil.

Don't competitive shooters load lighter bullets to higher velocities to cut down on recoil and still make major? If not, then why do the long 9mm's exist? (I'm not being snarky - I just always assumed that's why they did it, which is an assumption I made based on my personal observations wrt recoil and bullet weight).

Last edited:
The serious IPSC/USPSA guys tune their loads for all sorts of things. Open class uses compensated guns, so they have to generate enough gas to make the comp effective. Faster and sharper recoil is actually preferred in some cases, because it gets the dot back down on the target sooner. The mecca for more info than you ever needed about competition shooting is the forums at brianenos.com.

I think the long 9s exist because you can't make major in 9x19 within SAAMI specs. 9 is preferred over 40 or 45 because the magazine limit is on length, not rounds. It seems like many USPSA guys are moving to major 9x19 these days.

Don't competitive shooters load lighter bullets to higher velocities to cut down on recoil and still make major? If not, then why do the long 9mm's exist? (I'm not being snarky - I just always assumed that's why they did it, which is an assumption I made based on my personal observations wrt recoil and bullet weight).

Yes, going down in bullet weight generally makes it flatter. However, going up in powder charge to maintain Major could make it feel more snappy or violent in the hand. There is no clear way to lay it out. Everybody experiences recoil differently so you get differing preferences and perceptions. My plan is to make a load that works in my gun, make sure it groups, make sure it makes major, and shoot the crap out of it.

My current gun was chambered in 9mm for Major and I had it reamed to .38 SuperComp. I can't tell a difference (other than reliability). I've had loads that ended up being 155pf that I swore was hotter than 165pf, yet I shoot a 175pf load now that feels like a .22 to me. [rolleyes]

The longer 9mms have more going for them than volume. .38 Super is more reliable than 9mm. .38SC is more advanced than .38 Super, and .38TJ is the most advanced.

Pretty good explanations.

Now, I could say whether the bullet was FMJ or HP makes no difference, but that's oversimplification.

As a rule (and there ARE exceptions to this), hollow points are going to have LESS recoil, because they're lighter. Applies strictly to pistol ammo, especially semi-auto calibers.

.45 ACP normal JHP loads are 185 grain, while normal FMJ are 230 grain.

9mm normal JHP loads are 115 grain, while FMJ are 125 grain.

As I said, there are exceptions to this. I have seen 230 gr JHP .45 bullets. I don't care for them, as the 185 load actually has more energy than the 230 does (if done right).

Now, that M1 versus the Rem 700 is several factors.

Gas operation reduces recoil.

The M1 is heavier.

The M1 is muzzle heavy.

An M1 in .30-06 has less precieveable recoil than an M14 in .308. 1 pound of extra weight, almost all of that extra on the end of the barrel.

Back
Top Bottom