Holster for molle vest...

Hi All,

I have a molle vest that I would like to get a holster for. I've been looking at the Safariland quick locking system and can't figure out how it works? What type of holster do I need so it fits into this system? Does anyone have one? How do you like it? Does anyone have any other suggestions for a holster on the molle vest?

Thanks

Scooter58

On the low end, condor makes both vertical and horizontal universal molle holsters. On the high end you could go with the Serpa w/ molle mount.

I had a Serpa w/ molle in the Sand Box, OK but not amazing. A few other guys carried Safarilands and liked them.
An important question is where do you want to position it on you rig?
also - pictures would be nice.

SERPA is alright until you get something like a small rock or a lot of dirt/sand jammed into the locking mechanism. now your gun's stuck in there.

Anyone else realize maineprepper wears his vest about 4 inches low? Plenty of area exposed for a chest shot.

He doesnt put body armor in that rig. He suggests second plate carrier underneath.

[video=youtube_share;sFAvzHH4d-M]http://youtu.be/sFAvzHH4d-M.[/video]

Skip to 7:20

Last edited:
Are you looking only at retention holsters? Dale Fricke makes a very nice non-retention model, the Eleazar Molly. I've got three of his holsters and am very pleased with them and the customer service.

I am not a fan of putting a holster on a chest rig. Too much stuff to get in the way when you start adding ammo pouches and so on. Have you thought about a leg holster?

I am not a fan of putting a holster on a chest rig. Too much stuff to get in the way when you start adding ammo pouches and so on. Have you thought about a leg holster?

Good points. The exception I see is someone who spends a lot of time in a vehicle.

I have had zero problems with my Serpa setup. It gets sand in it every time I use it and the weapon always comes out. I just blow it out when I get home from range.

What type of pistol?

Unless you are constantly riding in a vehicle where a belt or drop holster is uncomfortable/unreachable, I would stay away from chest mounted holsters. They tend to stick out rather far and it is really easy for a rifle sling to get caught on it. It can also get tangled with any pistol retention cord if you are using one.

Most of the guys that I know that use a vest mounted holster are helicopter pilots since they are sitting in a cramped cockpit all day.

That being said, if you chose the SERPA, having that hard plastic mounted over your stomach/chest is going to get real uncomfortable if you ever have to go prone. Also, once you go prone, you take a large risk of getting dirt into the retention mechanism, which can then jam and trap your pistol in the holster.

Safariland is a much better brand. Tactical Tailor also makes a nylon MOLLE mounted holster. I used the TT one myself mounted on a drop leg/battle belt and really liked it.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the great feedback. In reviewing this and thinking about it for a day or so, it seems that a drop leg makes a lot of sense. This is for my glock and I already have a few serpa holsters that can be used. I have also found some called "G-Code" holsters. They look quite good but do not (currently) have the retention of the serpa. "Currently" because I hear they plan on making a serpa type holster with more retention. I have found the drop leg system for about $45. I'll be buying within the next few weeks.

Thanks again
Scooter58

Look at the G-Code SOC or XST. Both are retention holsters.
The beauty of the G-Code holsters are that you can mount the same holster on your vest, a drop down, your pants, or a battlebelt with their RTI mounting system. That way you can mount it wherever you want that day.

Last edited:
Chest holsters are very very fast from the "surrender" position.

In the very early days of IPSC, they were actually popular as competition rigs.

But they were outlawed for pretty obvious reasons. The act of drawing has your hand on a gun that is already at the 180.
Chest holsters are dangerous on most shooting ranges. Many ranges do not allow them. Its too bad because they can work very well.

So unless you plan to practice on a private range, there might be more practical solutions.

Back
Top Bottom