Holster issue with shield

Tried both kydex and soft holsters, both are uncomfortable. my 17 and MP are way more comfortable to carry. But they are both harder to dress around

The main problem is that digs into my side and tends to push out above the belt line.

Any suggestion on holsters?

Carry along the hip or just past the hip. 3-4 o clock

N82. I've had one for my shield around 6 years and I still like it. It's just the basic tuckable C2 (no kydex) that is slightly canted. It allows for a deep tuck with a shirt (if you wear a tucked shirt) and none of the firearm will dig into you. I wear anywhere from 3:00-4:30. I'm Thinking of getting another in a different size to carry something a little bigger. (5" barrel). I've been very happy with it. I tried the crossbreed and just couldn't get used to it as much as I wanted to considering all the good you hear about them so it just sits in the box of stuff.

I have several IWB holsters for my M&P Shield 45 and they tend to round and with the aggressive stippling on the 45 it can be an issue. My solution was going OWB.

FWIW I ended up buying a Tagua 4 way holster that works great for me. It holds it close enough that it doesn’t print too much but I have enough clearance to keep it from digging into my side. An untucked T-shirt covers it sufficiently.

Bob

TAGUA PREMIUM BLACK LEATHER 4-WAY OWB IWB HOLSTER - S&W M&P SHIELD 45 | eBay

I’m rocking a stealthgear IWB on the hip for my shield and it’s one of the most comfortable holsters I’ve ever had.

Have a keyhole holster for my g19 as well, also super comfortable.

The main problem is that digs into my side and tends to push out above the belt line.
you ain't using the right holster and/or belt. i'm close to 300 lbs and having no problem totin' a shield a minimum of 12 hrs daily. i carry 4 o'c right side..no diggin', no ridin' up. everyones different they say.

Had the CB for a while with the MP when I only could afford 1 gun. Might go back to that style or the CB with the single clip

I feel like if the holster was longer top to bottom it would be more comfortable.

One of the issues with smaller guns is ride height. I would start by trying to adjust that if there are additional mounting holes on holster. I find the same issue with my 43. It requires me to set it a little deeper because there isn't any leverage from slide length. The other thing you can look into is holsters that are designed with a wedge, but those tend to be appendix carry.

Both the ones I’ve tried CE and desantis don’t have additional holes to adjust height only cant.
think philster used to sell adhesive wedges

almost make me want to just build my own.

I've been using an Alien Gear cloak tuck 2.0 at 4 o'clock for about 2 years now. My only issue was the retention screws would work themselves loose, but blue loctite fixed that. It holds everything close, and cant/ height is adjustable. If theres discomfort with the pistol scratching and poking you, wear a light undershirt tucked in, this solves that problem.

Like everything else, your mileage may vary but this setup has worked for me great so far. For what it's worth, I'm about 245lbs, 6ft. Body type plays into a decision on holster selection for a lot of us. Some can run anything comfortably, and for lots of others, some setups just simply work better.

Gotta get a holster that puts the pistol deeper into your pants.

I just got a Crossbreed Mini-Appendix.

Mini Appendix Carry AIWB Holster

I also have ordered a Freedom Carry. It didn't work for exactly what you described - the butt of the gun stuck out. Because too much gun was ABOVE the belt-line.

Another holster manf, I tried one of them "wing" holster. "Wing wing wing!" "Hewwooah? Send dis howstah back!" It never pulled the gun in. It canted it in left-to-right and canted it OUT top to bottom. Again - too much gun outside the waistband.

Look for a holster that has as much of the trigger-guard UNDER the top of the belt. That will do it.

I will say - I just got this Mini-Apdx - I like it better than my usual go-to IWB/AIWB FIST holsters. That's saying a lot.

You can just wear it behind the hip. It's not like it disintegrates if you don't wear it near the belt-buckle.

I have 3 that I enjoy for IWB and AIWB, but as others have said you mileage will vary based on body type and preferences. Most people end up with a drawer full of holsters they don’t use for this reason. For me though it was a matter of playing with ride height, cant, and the right belt to comfortably carry at 4 O’clock without printing.

First up is a CYA holster. It sits fairly low in ride height and has a slightly adjustable cant. It also comes with a sweat guard that extends along the slide which helps with it digging into your side. The holster is made of boltaron which is harder, less brittle, and more durable than kydex. Plus the company is veteran owned.
Smith & Wesson M&P 9/40 M2.0 - 3.6" Compact & 3.5" Compact IWB Holster for Concealed Carry
D0A55147-E1BB-4E35-A1CE-025FCBC96CE4.jpeg

Second is the Phlster skeleton. It’s a two piece kydex holster with adjustable ride height and a loop instead of a clip which makes canting it easy. Just under where the belt sits it has a wing that pushes the grip inward. Other than these features the holster is minimalistic and very comfortable. Even being a two piece holster retention is fantastic. Although, I am still cautious about re-holstering while wearing it because the 2 pieces do squeeze in a bit with no gun inside. It can be done and I’ve had no issues, but I usually take the holster off first, holster, then tuck it back in.
Gen 2 M&P Shield Skeleton Holster - PHLSTER Kydex Holsters and Medical Accessories
ACDA1BC8-8758-441D-A374-0B632A838AA3.jpeg

Lastly is the Blackhawk ARC. Ride height is adjustable although not as much as I would like as it does sit slightly higher than the other holsters.The clip is only held on with one screw so it can rotate fully to what ever cant you desire and is reversible for left or right carry. Once you’ve found your position just torque the screw down and it doesn’t move. It’s made of an injection molded polymer which holds it shape, but does have a little give which actually makes it quite comfortable. Because it’s injection molded all the corners are very nicely rounded making for no areas that dig in. Retention worried me at first do to being a softer polymer, but it is adjustable and I’ve had no problems. The clip leaves a little to be desired since it looks a little flimsy, but does hold the belt very well with a small hook. Overall the holster isn’t as refined as the others, but works and for a very low price point.
Standard A.R.C. IWB Holster - BLACKHAWK
460CCC4E-92EA-48EA-A76E-DCDB7DDC5A82.jpeg

Recently I picked up a Kore essentials slide belt and it is now my go to edc belt. It is very stiff do to a polymer core that the belt wraps around, but still comfortable. The stiffness makes holding more weight on the belt almost unnoticeable. It’s also a slide belt with a ratchet system on the inside. This is great for a few reasons. It is adjustable in 1/4” increments. The ratchet system is on the inside of the belt so no wear marks are visible. Plus the ratchet system seems very robust and should last a long time. They come in nylon and leather. Kore Essentials also make dress belts that aren’t as stiff with a similar ratchet system.
X1 BUCKLE | BLACK TACTICAL GUN BELT
EB7604D4-F335-4F04-B111-824A95770950.jpeg B542AF32-F4B4-493E-90EA-92D577D2AA6C.jpeg

I’m impressed, 24 posts in and nobody said they were “running” anything. lol Seriously, when was the last time 90% of NES ran anywhere.

Sarcasm, it’s just the most overused term in firearms related anything. “Dooood, I just got my first Bodyguard .380 and I’m running a green laser and an Uncle Mikes for now. It’s sweet dood.”

I’m impressed, 24 posts in and nobody said they were “running” anything. lol Seriously, when was the last time 90% of NES ran anywhere.

Sarcasm, it’s just the most overused term in firearms related anything. “Dooood, I just got my first Bodyguard .380 and I’m running a green laser and an Uncle Mikes for now. It’s sweet dood.”
Dood, I’m running to the fridge, you need a beer, broseph?

haha. I'm guilty of this.

I run a Glock 19

It’s just one of those little things in life that makes me shake my head and think yaaaa man, now you’ve made the big time, everyone will know how serious you are. lol

I'm going to make a concerted effort to run less gear LOL

Back
Top Bottom