• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Holster recommendation for running?

Hi all.
Having finally acquired my ALP and a carry gun in the last few months, I'm trying to work this into my day to day life. I'm having a problem with a holster to wear when out exercising though.

I run outside. Not jog, run.

I tried a fanny pack holster. The fanny pack itself was very nice, but the holster is just a uncle-mike's quality affair attached inside by velcro. This will be great for hiking or maybe even biking. But as soon as I start actually running, even my little mouse gun is bouncing around in there too much. The holster tries to tear loose from the velcro and if I fix that, then the gun wants to bounce out of the holster! [frown]

Does anyone have a recommendation for any sort of holster setup that would be secure enough?

Thanks [grin]

Hi Nicole,

This is a tough one... I'm assuming your clothing is all form fitting when you run? ie: the only place to carry/hide a gun is in a fanny pack of some sort?

For a fanny pack that has been endorsed by one of our NES instructors (JimConway) can be found here: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43236&highlight=fanny

You may have to contact Jim directly to acquire one though.

Here are some photos:
Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Another suggestion would be the Wilderness Safe Packer Holster. I've read some great reviews on this and it seems perfect for your needs...Assuming you can wear a belt while you run... or you could even carry it in your hands while you run (as you would a water bottle, etc: http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

zip567.jpg

zip572.jpg

zip560.jpg

I've also heard of people running with a Smart Carry holster. I have one for every-day carry... but I have not run with it myself. However those that use it while running have suggested only carrying light-weight guns (I'm not sure what you're carrying): www.smartcarry.com

standard.jpg
image1.jpg

smartcarrygirl.jpg

Or maybe the Desantis Belly Band Holster worn under a loose T? http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=345184&t=11082005

345184.jpg

Anyway... hope this gives you a few ideas!

Last edited:
Thanks for the holster ideas Hanwei.

To expand on my first post, I'd like something with a higher level of retention. Maybe I'm a bit of a pogo stick when I start running, but I'm certain the gun will bounce right out of everything except maybe the Desantis belly band.

It's only a .32 NAA Guardian, so it's not like I need some overengineered marvel of a holster, but it does need to be actually secured.

this is pretty cool. thinking about picking one up myself.

http://www.abetterholster.com/

Yeah that does look like a cool carry alternative. But I won't even go into the rediculous video of the guy taking down 3 armed robbers. [rolleyes]

Nicole, do you have the black dayplanner-type case the NAA .32 came with? If so, what about teathering that to your offhand wrist and clutching it while you're running?

BAHAHAHHA i didnt see that before, that is funny. usually when i rip my shirt open, gun toting criminals jump back in shock, also.
Same things happens when I do it, I also turn green at the same time so it's hard to say what scares them the most.

I wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions. [grin]

I ended up deciding to have a go with the Desantis belly band holster next and got to try it out today. Excellent!

The belly band stays put beautifully, even if it's not placed at the narrowest part of your trunk. The gun is pretty secure in the holster pocket alone and with the velcro retention strap it's snugged in there good and tight. It never so much as budged even during full sprints. The strap doesn't release if I pull on the gun; I'll be practicing the draw as a two-handed operation. The strap is completely removable should I want to use it other than during workouts.

Quite comfy - I can see it getting hot in the summer, but I'm not wearing it all day, so it's a reasonable tradeoff.

It disappears nicely. I'll have to cull the lighter-weight and smaller shirts from the wardrobe, but with a normal, roomy t-shirt it works well.

Back
Top Bottom