• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Holsters in wear...

Its a Keltec pocket clip that I fit to my Ruger. Its a handy option.
lcpsideclip.jpg

Just to show a visual comparison to my pocketknife:
knifelcp.jpg

That is a very cool setup. What I am trying to figure out, though, is how you draw it. It appears in the photo, that you keep it "butt forward" in your left pocket, so I assume this is for a cross draw, using your right hand - correct?

That is a very cool setup. What I am trying to figure out, though, is how you draw it. It appears in the photo, that you keep it "butt forward" in your left pocket, so I assume this is for a cross draw, using your right hand - correct?

Yes, and I either just grab it with my right, or push it up with my left and draw with my right. However, due to the average amount of crap in my pockets, I usually carry it in my back pocket in a wallet holster (pocketholsters.com):
lcpholster.jpg

lcpholster2.jpg

Oh, I totally get your point, which is why I put the disclaimer in my statement that it was "my opinion". The business 101 reference is correct, though, but I do see from your possible reasons of keeping it small, that one can see how that perspective could be "viable" also.[wink] I actually have products that I once manufactured in that manner, which required real old school craftsmanship to produce, and I would give people a 4-6 week turnaround as an average. It's funny how many decided to pull the plug after hearing about the wait. At that point, I really didn't care, since it was a sideline thing for me, but if I wanted to do it full time, I certainly would have needed to increase production methods somehow. So, I do get it![wink]

I think another issue is that some small businesses have this whole "size plateau" thing going on. EG, incremental expansion is not always viable. It's not always possible to add 25% capacity, let's say, without it costing too much money to do that. It might make more sense to "stay small" unless you can come up with a plan to increase revenue dramatically.

A guy like him might also be stuck. EG, maybe they have a small shop and they can only fit so much equipment and gear in there. Getting another facility or more people will only take time away from producing holsters. Whenever you stir things up like that, you have to be sure that it's going to pay for itself.

Staying small also helps him hedge against risks. If he goes whole hog, buys a huge building and hires a half dozen people, what happens to all of that in a few years when the market dries up due to a bad economy? It's easier to survive under bad conditions if your overhead is lower. I think most good small business owners would prefer "not hiring someone" to having to let go of a good worker.

-Mike

I think another issue is that some small businesses have this whole "size plateau" thing going on. EG, incremental expansion is not always viable. It's not always possible to add 25% capacity, let's say, without it costing too much money to do that. It might make more sense to "stay small" unless you can come up with a plan to increase revenue dramatically.

A guy like him might also be stuck. EG, maybe they have a small shop and they can only fit so much equipment and gear in there. Getting another facility or more people will only take time away from producing holsters. Whenever you stir things up like that, you have to be sure that it's going to pay for itself.

Staying small also helps him hedge against risks. If he goes whole hog, buys a huge building and hires a half dozen people, what happens to all of that in a few years when the market dries up due to a bad economy? It's easier to survive under bad conditions if your overhead is lower. I think most good small business owners would prefer "not hiring someone" to having to let go of a good worker.

-Mike

Excellent points, Mike. I think it is definitely a double-edged sword, though, because if you have to turn away too many customers (even if it's their choice due to a ridiculous wait time), you run the risk of losing those customers forever. My wife's business (medical management) is actually in a similar situation now. She has more work than she can handle alone, but bringing another person on board is too much risk financially, in case things were to dry up. Then there is the flip side, where she has lost accounts in the past because she just can't be everywhere at once, and most of her clients only give her the work, because they trust HER, and may not if she had others doing the work. All in all, it is a crappy situation to be in when running a small business!

Yes, and I either just grab it with my right, or push it up with my left and draw with my right. However, due to the average amount of crap in my pockets, I usually carry it in my back pocket in a wallet holster (pocketholsters.com):
lcpholster.jpg

lcpholster2.jpg

Thanks for verifying that for me. It makes perfect sense now. That wallet holster is pretty clever too, but for me, might not be a great solution. I had to stop carring a wallet in my back pocket years ago, due to a back injury. It was putting too much pressure on the disc while sitting with a wallet on one side. Seems from the shape of the molded leather that it might print through your jeans after awhile, though. Has that been an issue that you noticed?

Back
Top Bottom