• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HOLY CR@P! It's getting real at a SC school

Good. At least the story doesn't ready student kills councilor.

Watch for the lefty's to make the 11th grader out to be the victim.

What's a "resource officer" ?

Well a Resource Officer could be like a "Natural Resource Officer" like enviorment police, game warden, etc.. lol.

I was referring to the school's resource officer, which is the local Police Officer assigned to the school...

I thought it was the school's resource officer that shot the student?

Last edited:
http://www.wmbfnews.com/global/story.asp?s=11326047

Student fatally shot after stabbing officer
Posted: Oct 16, 2009 9:20 AM EDT Updated: Oct 16, 2009 1:19 PM EDT
Officer Marcus Rhodes Officer Marcus Rhodes

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - An 11th grade Carolina Forest High School student is dead Friday morning after stabbing a resource officer who defended himself with gunfire.

Teal Britton, spokeswoman for Horry County Schools, said a male student asked to speak to the student resource officer in his office and a fight between the two ensued. The student, 16, allegedly stabbed the officer, who returned with gunfire.

Both victims were taken to the Conway Medical Center, where hospital officials confirmed the student died just before 11 a.m. The school resource officer continues to receive treatment in the hospital's emergency department, but is listed in good condition. Hospital spokeswoman Julie Rajotte says he is expected to be released from care later in the day.

When asked the identity of the school resource officer, Britton says Officer Marcus Rhodes, of Conway, was "the only school resource officer listed on Carolina Forest High School's website."

The Myrtle Beach Herald, a WMBF News partner, says Rhodes has been employed with the Horry County Police Department since 2000, serving as a school resource officer at North Myrtle Beach High School before transferring to Carolina Forest High School.

Britton confirmed this was an isolated incident and no one else was injured. The situation is controlled, as officials with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division take over the investigation for local law enforcement. The campus remains on lockdown, but concerned parents will be allowed on campus to pick up their children in an orderly fashion.

"The campus is safe and secure, and the school will continue with regular schedule," confirmed Britton.

Carolina Forest High School is equipped with nine metal detectors, the most out of any school in Horry County. Currently, more than 2,000 students attend the high school located on Gardner Lacy Road.

School officials say the detectors were to be in use Friday, but is possible the student was not scanned by one. Detectors are placed only in specific areas and entrances to the school.

School officials add Friday night's football game vs. South Florence High School has been postponed.

Friday's incident marks the second time in three years a Carolina Forest High School student has been killed in a violent incident on the school's campus. In June 2006, 18-year-old Natalia Holmes was stabbed 15 times by her estranged boyfriend in the school's parking lot.

Edwin Cornelius Brown is currently serving a life sentence for the death of Holmes.

No other information is available at this time. We will update this story as more information becomes available.

Copyright 2009 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

I'm sure the poor dear child is just a victim of his upbringing in a poor and deprived environment devoid of proper nurturing.

Just the environment the liberals are fighting like hell to keep as status quo.

Further proof gun free zones don't work.

If that was the principal that protected himself with a firearm he'd be in a mess of trouble. Or, if he didn't carry as per the federal law, probably state law, and probably school policy, he may not be alive.

An 11th grade Carolina Forest High School student is dead Friday morning after stabbing a resource officer who defended himself with gunfire.
Holy crap, he defended himself with GUNFIRE?!

I suppose that would be the logical response to being attacked with stabbing.

steveyc272 said:
If that was the principal that protected himself with a firearm he'd be in a mess of trouble. Or, if he didn't carry as per the federal law, probably state law, and probably school policy, he may not be alive.
The "resource officer" is a police officer, and is not required to disarm when entering school property, like the rest of us peons.

Resource officers are local uniformed cops that are assigned to baby sit the schools.

We have them in my town.

What a waste of $.

They had them in Ashland, They started doing it my senior year right after 9/11. They were the D.A.R.E. Officer's so everyone already new them. I still don't think they were necessary though.

The "resource officer" is a police officer, and is not required to disarm when entering school property, like the rest of us peons.

This is South Carolina not Mass you can carry a gun in a school (unless restricted by federal law).

From the SLED website:

(M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:

(1) police, sheriff, or highway patrol station or any other law enforcement office or facility;

(2) detention facility, prison, or jail or any other correctional facility or office;

(3) courthouse or courtroom;

(4) polling place on election days;

(5) office of or the business meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district;

(6) school or college athletic event not related to firearms;

(7) daycare facility or pre school facility;

(8) place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law;

(9) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body; or

(10) hospital, medical clinic, doctor’s office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly authorized by the employer.

#9 is kinda ironic since my dad took his CCW permit class at a church in Myrtle Beach [smile]

Well a Resource Officer could be like a "Natural Resource Officer" like enviorment police, game warden, etc.. lol.

I was referring to the school's resource officer, which is the local Police Officer assigned to the school...

It is really a sad statement about what goes on in our schools when police officers need to be assigned to our schools.

I taught at a votec school in Springfield (Putnam). There were two "resource officers" assigned to the school. If one of them wasn't in the other officer wouldn't leave the office area by himself. How messed up is that.

Metal detectors don't really work because all of the students wear so much jewelery that each and every student sets off the metal detector and has to be wanded. What a joke. I suppose that they could institute a dress code and loose the "bling". Naw we can't do that as it would infringe on their rights to wear jewelery and pajamas to school. What was I thinking?

Bob

This is South Carolina not Mass you can carry a gun in a school (unless restricted by federal law).
Wasn't going off of MA law - I was thinking about 18 U.S.C. §922

AKA the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1991 - prohibits possession of a firearm in a school zone (on the campus of a public or private school or within 1,000 feet of the grounds) - with exceptions made for the "proper authorities," firearms possessed on private property, being transported in an automobile, and a bunch of other crap.

That said, this IS a whole bunch 'o words that I'm not feeling like fully searching, and there's multiple ways that I could be misunderstanding this...so if I'm incorrect, I do apologize. [grin]

Bob P said:
Excellent violence prevention! That kid will never stab anyone again.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Seriously...Why the heck would this kid stab probably the only armed person at the school? I mean, he obviously must have had a reason to go after the RO specifically, as it seems like it'd be a whole lot easier to up your body count by stabbing unarmed classmates, no?

Last edited:

Exactly. And they shouldn't have to. Neither should the Principal. We obviously do not know the exact details, but that firearm could have saved his life.

good.

glad the little turd got what he deserved. That is what you get for stabbing someone.

Hope the Officer recovers well and carries on.

Rob

My school had one of them when it first opened. About 2 years after I graduated he had to resign and moved out of town. Something about getting girls into his "police station" and doing some extra special searching.

Back
Top Bottom