• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Home built firearms...

Hey everyone... I've been a metal fabricator my hole life... I have training in machine work as well as cad and cam... I wanna try my hand at building a rifle... it will be a tube fed lever action .22lr of my own design... 20" barrel and an over all length of around 32" which I understand complies with federal law, and also complies with the ma AWB. My question is this however, is it legal to build your own firearms in your own home for your own use in the state of massachusetts? And what legal flaming hoops do you need to jump through in order to legally build a rifle in your home?

Hi Maura and/or Reporter. I am not a lawyer but I would ask myself these questions...

Do I have a Massachusetts firearms license (FID or LTC)? Am I building this firearm for my own use, using only equipment which I myself own? Am I familiar with the various state and federal laws about the design/features of the rifle which may be applicable? Will I be sure to fill out an EFA10 form within 7 days of completing my rifle?

I do have an ltc and from what I can tell my design would comply with all state and federal laws... with it being a straight stock lever action tube fed rifle

In my opinion it is 100% legal to do what you are planning, would need to register in when complete.

Back
Top Bottom