Home Defense Gear - Some Questions

MaverickNH

NES Member
During our home renovation, I was able to slip in covert secure storage in the garage, 1st floor office and 1st floor living room for firearms and accessories. The 2nd floor bedroom is a quick-access arsenal so no worries there ;-)

Outside the bedroom, we (my wife, kids-out-of-the-house) spend the most home time in the living room and adjoining kitchen/dining room or just me in my office. I'll admit I don't carry at home consistently and want options for quick-access use. The questions below are about the 1st floor living room and office gear.

Q1: SIG320 w/21rd mags or KelTec SUB2000Glock w/31rd mags? Both are reliable (yes, the KelTec!) but I question a carbine length in a home over a pistol. Both have weapons-mounted lights and red dot.
Q2: Compact shoulder bag or bandolier for 2 spare mags, flashlight and trauma kit? INVRT Bandoleer looks useful INVRT Bandoleer Archives - IC13 but alternatives under 3 inches thick to fit in my quick-access panel safe would work.

It seems the weapon I train with most is preferred, which steer me towards the SIG320. I'm in suburban Southern NH with neighbors L/R 100ft away. Upstairs I keep a Rem 870 Police with weapons light and optic quick access. Garage will get my Saiga S12 semiauto.

If you're the one using it, and you're proficient with the p320...have at it.

If other members of the family might use it and they're not proficient with handgun shooting, the carbine will be easier for them to use.

I like that you're working in medical gear to your plan.👍

I can speak from experience here that the last thing you’re going to think of is getting ear pro on everybody when there’s a threat trying to enter or has already entered your home. You most likely will have to move to the threat in your drawers and barefoot to stop it before your family even knows what’s going on.

Do you guys really expect to be having extended gun fights inside your house dressed up like you’re at the range or something?

I can speak from experience here that the last thing you’re going to think of is getting ear pro on everybody when there’s a threat trying to enter or has already entered your home. You most likely will have to move to the threat in your drawers and barefoot to stop it before your family even knows what’s going on.

Do you guys really expect to be having extended gun fights inside your house dressed up like you’re at the range or something?
This.

ear pro for the family is a good idea for a SHTF program, but for a bump in the night, just get to the gun as fast as possible

This.

ear pro for the family is a good idea for a SHTF program, but for a bump in the night, just get to the gun as fast as possible

I agree. I would add that “a bump in the night” is a lot less scary sounding on paper than the actual sound of a completely drugged out assbag literally kicking your door into pieces and screaming that he’s going to kill you.

I can see it now, “Hey honey, psssst, wake up someone’s in the house! Here, put these headphones on!”

Wife finally wakes up enough to even understand WTF you’re saying like 3 mins later and goes “Whaaaaaaat?!!?! GTFO of here!!” (Smacks you in the head with said headphones and screams at you) “Go see what’s going on! Where’s my babies!!!?!? Gahhhh!! Panic!! Fear!!” lol

Not trying to be a dick to those who think this is legit, but it’s just not feasible unless you’re the Tackleberry family or the first purge has already happened and y’all are waiting for a full on assault on your house from the 6 clown faces standing under the streetlight staring at you.

I agree. I would add that “a bump in the night” is a lot less scary sounding on paper than the actual sound of a completely drugged out assbag literally kicking your door into pieces and screaming that he’s going to kill you.

I can see it now, “Hey honey, psssst, wake up someone’s in the house! Here, put these headphones on!”

Wife finally wakes up enough to even understand WTF you’re saying like 3 mins later and goes “Whaaaaaaat?!!?! GTFO of here!!” (Smacks you in the head with said headphones and screams at you) “Go see what’s going on! Where’s my babies!!!?!? Gahhhh!! Panic!! Fear!!” lol

Not trying to be a dick to those who think this is legit, but it’s just not feasible unless you’re the Tackleberry family or the first purge has already happened and y’all are waiting for a full on assault on your house from the 6 clown faces standing under the streetlight staring at you.
Additionally......the whole "I'm afraid I'm gonna go deaf from 2-3 shots inside my house during a break in" is a bunch of crap. Yes ....after the fight your ears will ring for maybe for 48 hours.....you may even have a headache......you may even have some minor long term hearing loss......or not.

I was driving a hmmwv when 2 pax were forced to fire their m4 carbines from INSIDE the vehicle out the windows. Ears rang like a motherf***er for 2 days. I'm fine. Also spent about 5 minutes behind the butterfly of ma duece laying suppressive fire. Yeah.......ears rang for a few days. Been through a couple other short fire fights with my m4.....

I have tinitus like 99% of veterans.....that's it.

Folks need to stop worrying about how they are going to protect their hearing in dire situations.....and just worry about how they are going to fight for their life.

Last edited:
i'm doing something wrong...i keep a glock w/light on my nightstand. nothing more, nothing less for night time cold relief. my little carry pistol is usually on my belt during my waking hours. although now i'm thinking of slinging a rifle across my back also.

i'm doing something wrong...i keep a glock w/light on my nightstand. nothing more, nothing less for night time cold relief. my little carry pistol is usually on my belt during my waking hours. although now i'm thinking of slinging a rifle across my back also.
I hear you. Quick access safe in the bedroom houses the m and p 45 and a flashlight next to the safe.

Now.....I will admit that my safe in the basement is set up with the fire arms each family member will be "issued" in a wrol situation along with shoulder bags containing a basic load for said fire arms. Overnight bags are also set up for grab and go. Obviously of time comes these items are needed they'll be a little bit of time to get to them. I don't need a carbine rifle, side arm, backup gun, and trauma kit "at the ready" in my bedroom lol

I like .45acp for home defense. G21 with 13 rounder and a hot pipe + 2 full-cap mags backup. If that ain't enough... you're Scarface.

maxresdefault.jpg

I like .45acp for home defense. G21 with 13 rounder and a hot pipe + 2 full-cap mags backup. If that ain't enough... you're Scarface.

maxresdefault.jpg
Plus one on a Glock 21SF and a hot pipe, with night sights and a Viridian, lazer/ light combination. I load with Winchester Ranger T, 230 gr., because gel tests show that it expands to a full 1".

Last edited:

Plus one for skivvies and bare feet. Lucky to have time to grab the Glock and do your thing. Electronic ears are on the night stand, but it's doubtful there will be time to put them on and turn them on.

Plus one for skivvies and bare feet. Lucky to have time to grab the Glock and do your thing. Electronic ears are on the night stand, but it's doubtful there will be time to put them on and turn them on.
I sleep nude so.....

Any intruder will probably pass out from the shock of the sight of middle aged man "bits" and I'll never even have to fire a shot. Sleeping nude is my ammo savings plan......

If the gun isn't on you, it's probably too far away to do you any good. Do you have a dog? You don't need a dog large enough to protect you. Any dog can hear much better than you and can be your early warning system..

Our two dogs sleep in their crate just outside our bedroom door. They are indeed our early warning system. They bark when someone comes to the door, let alone through it. Glock 17 and flashlight on the nightstand. Knapsack that I carry daily is on a table in the bedroom; the knapsack has a trauma kit and tourniquet in it.

No I don't expect to have a gunfight, period.
And I personally am not going out of the bedroom, barefoot, and in my underwear to " clear the house" or anything else.
The bedroom door gets locked down and barricaded, 911, loud verbal warning given, wait for the kopsh. Anything or anyone tries to breach it, now it's time to stop the threat.
YMMV.
I have seen first-hand what firing a gun in an enclosed area will do by to your hearing.
And no, you won't realize right away.
Certainly, everything else comes first, but just saying, op has covered a lot of other bases, just wanted to add in the ears.
You'll be thankful later.

Hell yeah dude. What do you mean, I wont have time to set up my bench rest, my shooting box, turn on the red dot, make sure everyone has hearing protection, make sure everyone is standing behind the firing line and take a few practice shots at paper before we start the gun fight?

That's not fair, now I need to change my home defense plans.

When I was much younger and stupider, I had the smart idea of touching off a hot hand loaded .357 into my basement bullet trap (installed next to my safes for checking function, disassembly, making sure hand loads will chamber, etc) without ear protection. Literally stunned me to where I couldn't have made a follow up shot or done anything useful for at least a few seconds after. Didn't do any noticeable damage but boy it was a couple hours before I could hear anything at a normal volume or have quiet conversation. I would never use a high pressure round like .357 or 10mm or .44 mag for home defense after that experience, you may very well render yourself useless for several seconds and do permanent hearing damage touching one off indoors without ear pro. Stick to standard pressure/low velocity like 9mm, .45acp, or low recoil/low velocity type 12ga, they have much less muzzle blast.

There is no replacement for a couple of well trained dogs. I trained them not to bark at intruders. Dogs are there to wake me up when intruder is still outside. Then the scenario is very simple; Dial 9-1-1 and let dogs run their first line of their defense.

I'm a fan of hammering the nail with a sledge. 9mm Carbine with 30 and a surefire foregrip. Motion cameras cover the perimeter and stairwells for advance warning if possible. Wife goes to kids room dogs free call 911. Few unmentioned surprises along the way.

Hell yeah dude. What do you mean, I wont have time to set up my bench rest, my shooting box, turn on the red dot, make sure everyone has hearing protection, make sure everyone is standing behind the firing line and take a few practice shots at paper before we start the gun fight?

That's not fair, now I need to change my home defense plans.

Real home assassins run Aimpoint red dots. I just leave it on with that 5 year battery life. Change the battery every three years.

Back
Top Bottom