Home security systems

Greetings,

I was looking into a DIY system and wanted to hear from those of you that have them. I am leaning towards Mace or Simplisafe. Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks

I use Simplisafe. Easy to set up, $24 a month with text and mobile app, no contract.

Say I referred you if you get it so I get a free month, haha

home security systems are good because they can scare off crooks, combined with reinforced doors and maybe windows, they could buy you valuable time. but yeah reinforced entrances (possibly windows as well)+alarm system+firearms=almost perfect.

home security systems are good because they can scare off crooks, combined with reinforced doors and maybe windows, they could buy you valuable time. but yeah reinforced entrances (possibly windows as well)+alarm system+firearms=almost perfect.

add in a moat filled with hungry alligators and it would be perfect...

In addition to an actual security system, I'd also consider installing IP-cams, e.g. Foscam. Some folks have experience with other brands, but I find that Foscam is great.

I would go with IRS out of Easthampton, Ma

Industrial Residential Security Company - Home

They will come and install a system for you, repair it if needed after install and they have 24/7 monitoring...

The biggest trouble with DIY's is most are not tied into anything, if your house is on fire a lot of good a alarm going off is going to do for you...

If the alarm doesn't go anywhere to warn anyone, no one is coming to put out the fire...

I wanted a DIY system and last year decided to pull the trigger. I've owned hard wired systems and the arcane nature of their programming combined with vendor policies designed to maximize installer profit, not customer satisfaction drove me away.

So I started researching. After a few minutes, it was clear that there were two companies truly doing things differently than the established alarm companies. They were Simplisafe and Frontpoint.

Frontpoint offers some very amazing very high feature systems that are also wireless and can be installed by a homeowner. Their price for similar features was comparable to Simplisafe, with the ability to upgrade to the truly advanced stuff later. (Their hardware is based on GE Simon).

Despite this, I decided to go with Simplisafe It all came down to monitoring and needs. Simplisafe's system met my needs. I was not looking for integrated video monitoring or some of the other more advanced Frontpoint features.

Simplisafe offered what I wanted, specifically an entirely wireless security system that called the monitoring station via a cellular, not wired phone line. Simplisafe allowed me to configure a system with 3 keypads, 2 key fob remotes, about 20 entry sensors and 6 motion sensors.

This is a VERY well equipped system. I have entry sensors on every first floor and basement window and door. I've even got a sensor on my garage door. I've got motions in my garage, basement and covering the entire first floor as well as approaches to the second floor stairs. I've got a motion in the master bedroom, just incase. Finally, I purchased 3 auxilary sirens. Are situated inside the home near likely points of entry and the other is on the outside of the house to wake up the neighbors. So you see, Simplisafe allows you to build a pretty robust system.

As far as monitoring costs, Frontpoint's monitoring started at $35/month, for $42/month you get an interactive system that allows you to turn the system on and off via smart phone, as well as monitor your alarm's status.

Simplisafe's monitoring only cost $15/month for simple monitoring. $20/month gets you text messages every time the system is armed, disarmed, or set off. $25/month gets you a fully interactive remote control via smart phone. I'm on the $20/month plan. I don't need remote interactivity, but do like to be alerted whenever the system status changes via text messages.

In short, Simpliisafe met my needs for about $23/month less than frontpoint. So my decision was made, I ordered the system and it arrived in a few days. It took me significantly longer to install than they say simply because I spent a lot of time thinking about where I wanted the stuff to go. The actual setup literally took 15 minutes.

Like I said above, I ended up covering every window and door. (Why not, the sensors are only $15!!!). I'm still playing around with the location of the motions. But most are just sitting on a shelf or located inconspicuously in a corner.

The total install, even with "head scratching time" was probably about a couple of hours.
The first few days you use the alarm, the monitoring system ignore's when it is triggered, allowing you time to test sensors, set it off by accident a few times, and generally get used to it.

Overall, I'm very happy. The remote key fobs have excellent range and allow us to arm and disarm the system from outside the home. A few minutes later I get a text telling me of the action. This is comforting when leaving the house since it confirms to me that the system is armed and is communicating with the monitoring service.

Simplisafe has a 60 day "ecstatically happy" guarantee. Now I see why they offer this. I haven't been this happy with an electronics purchase since I got my first iPod in 2002.

If the features meet your requirements, you can not go wrong. It does EVERYTHING they say it will do, and it does it flawlessly. I am a VERY very happy customer.

One other thing. Make your decision based on what Simplisafe offers NOW. Don't buy based on features or sensors that Simplisafe says they are coming out with soon. They have a terrible track record of getting these kinds of improvements out on time. If it doesn't meet your needs with the features that are available now, I'd suggest you look somewhere else.

In case you are wondering I'm not in any involved with Simplisafe.

Oh yeah, here is the one flaw I've found. There is no way to name the sensor locations. So when an alarm is triggered, all you see on the keypad is "Entry sensor" rather than something like "front door". Its not a big deal for me but if it is for you, you should take this into account.

I wonder why in the world they don't name the sensors? Or at least have them numbered so all you have to remember is that sensor 1 is front door, etc. Seems like it would be trivial to implement.

So, maybe off topic here, but I use a security company, that shall go unnamed [tinfoil] that wanted to charge me nearly $200 just to replace a remote keypad. They consistently call my wife rather than me when a false alarm occurs (only happened a few times) Is that normal?

I wonder why in the world they don't name the sensors? Or at least have them numbered so all you have to remember is that sensor 1 is front door, etc. Seems like it would be trivial to implement.

Every sensor as well as every other device is serial numbered. If there is an error or anything like that, it tells you the SN. I eventually made a list of every sensor number so I can at least trouble shoot properly if a battery starts to die or something like that.

Every sensor as well as every other device is serial numbered. If there is an error or anything like that, it tells you the SN. I eventually made a list of every sensor number so I can at least trouble shoot properly if a battery starts to die or something like that.

Seems like a pretty easy task to associate a s/n with a location in case of a trip and not just an error. I'll have to be sure to voice my displeasure with the product that I have not purchased. [smile]

Responding a year late to this thread but I just got simplisafe. If you pay for the alerts to your phone, when a sensor is activated, the text will tell you the name of the one that was tripped. It wont say on the keypad, but the text/email will indicate which alarm was triggered.

I use Hikvision IP cameras ( 4 ) running over POE and recorded on 2 terabyte HDD's. I can access it on my Iphone as well and my Inet browser at work. I'm using Blue Iris software to operate it all. Flawless, but you MUST have some knowledge of networks in order to do the kind of setup I have so do your homework.

Responding a year late to this thread but I just got simplisafe. If you pay for the alerts to your phone, when a sensor is activated, the text will tell you the name of the one that was tripped. It wont say on the keypad, but the text/email will indicate which alarm was triggered.

This is my biggest complaint as well. Makes no sense that they can't have the Base Station relay the name of the Entry/Window sensor going off to the keypad.

I got Simplisafe after reading up on NES and looking around elsewhere. Been very happy with it overall. I had one issue where the Base Station lost comms with monitoring, but it alerted me and a quick Google search later I was up and running.

I have ATT and their texts alerts are almost always delayed. The emails come in quickly though. I wish you could silence the countdown on the Keypad. I set it to "Away" when I go to bed so all windows and motion sensors are armed. The 30 second beeping is already annoying.

This is my biggest complaint as well. Makes no sense that they can't have the Base Station relay the name of the Entry/Window sensor going off to the keypad.

I got Simplisafe after reading up on NES and looking around elsewhere. Been very happy with it overall. I had one issue where the Base Station lost comms with monitoring, but it alerted me and a quick Google search later I was up and running.

I have ATT and their texts alerts are almost always delayed. The emails come in quickly though. I wish you could silence the countdown on the Keypad. I set it to "Away" when I go to bed so all windows and motion sensors are armed. The 30 second beeping is already annoying.

If you don't need a 30 second exit delay you can turn it down to whatever you want.

Back
Top Bottom