• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Homeowner Shot by Police- Oops!

johnnymac101

NES Member
Be careful how you open the door when the police arrive! This would have been a good time to "shelter in place!"

[h=1]Report released after SC white deputy shoots black homeowner[/h]
Click for all 4 pictures

icon.img
Associated Press

Friday, May 8, 2015 5:01 PM GMT

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — As a South Carolina sheriff's deputy responded to a report of a home invasion, he shouted commands at a black homeowner holding a gun before firing at the man and wounding him in the neck, according to an incident report released Friday.
The Charleston County Sheriff's Office report summarizes the incident involving Deputy Keith Tyner, who is white, and another deputy on Thursday in the rural community of Hollywood, in a subdivision of mobile homes and brick ranch homes.
On a 911 tape of the incident a male caller tells an emergency dispatcher, "Someone was trying to break into my house. Please come. ... It's an emergency and they have guns. Please come!"
The incident report says when deputies arrived at the mobile home down a dirt driveway they saw a gunshot hole in a front window and the back door appeared to be damaged.
The homeowner, later identified as Bryan Heyward, came out of the back door with a gun and the officer told him to drop it.
"As we were approaching, the back door swung open," said the report written by Deputy Richard Powell, who responded to the scene with Tyner. Powell said he could not see into the house from his vantage point.
The deputy wrote that he "heard Deputy Tyner shout verbal commands and that there was a gun" and "next heard gunfire as Deputy Tyner fired to suppress the threat."
Heyward was wounded in the neck. Sheriff's Maj. Eric Watson said Heyward was taken to the Medical University of South Carolina. A hospital spokesman said Friday he had no information to report on anyone with that name.
In the ambulance, Heyward told police he had exchanged gunfire with two suspects who fled the home on bicycles, authorities said.
Later Thursday police arrested Thomas Zachary Brown, 22 and charged him with first-degree burglary and attempted murder in connection with the home invasion. Watson said he did not believe Brown sustained any injuries.
The State Law Enforcement Division is investigating the shooting and the sheriff's office will investigate the home invasion, Watson said.
Law enforcement officials planned to meet with community leaders later Friday to discuss the shooting, the second in recent months involving law enforcement in Charleston County.
On April 4, a white North Charleston Police officer shot and killed a black man who he said fought with him over the officer's stun gun.
Officer Michael Slager has been charged with murder in the slaying of Walter Scott. A bystander's cellphone video showed him firing eight shots at Scott's back as he ran away.
Both shootings come amid nationwide calls for police reform following several high-profile deaths of black men at the hands of law enforcement. Most recently, the city of Baltimore erupted in riots last month after a black man died of a spinal injury he received while in police custody.
Hollywood is about 15 miles west of Charleston.
Associated Press writer Tom Foreman Jr. in Charlotte, North Carolina, contributed to this report.

If he were a better shot and hit the burglars he never would have been put in that situation so really is on him

Why was he "brandishing" when the cops arrived?

If he was the homeowner, and the 'burglars' had already fled the scene, he didn't need to be 'holding' the gun. It could/would/should have been holstered, or left inside at that point...

Great luck that guy has. Fends off an armed home invasion only to be shot by police.

If he were a better shot and hit the burglars he never would have been put in that situation so really is on him

[rolleyes]

- - - Updated - - -

Why was he "brandishing" when the cops arrived?

If he was the homeowner, and the 'burglars' had already fled the scene, he didn't need to be 'holding' the gun. It could/would/should have been holstered, or left inside at that point...

Because he knew for sure the people who had just tried to kill him were gone I'm sure. [rolleyes]

Obviously a joke the cops should never have shot in that situation it's ridiculous to think that the guy is in any way at fault especially when he complied by putting the gun down. And as far as the holster goes some of my guns I have out with out holsters. I'd probably hold mine too instead of Mexican carrying especially when you get the shakes from an adrenaline dump. But hey I like my testies

Obviously a joke the cops should never have shot in that situation it's ridiculous to think that the guy is in any way at fault especially when he complied by putting the gun down. And as far as the holster goes some of my guns I have out with out holsters. I'd probably hold mine too instead of Mexican carrying especially when you get the shakes from an adrenaline dump. But hey I like my testies

He admittedly said he should have dropped the gun...in his own statement he never did...Stupid Hurts!

He admittedly said he should have dropped the gun...in his own statement he never did...Stupid Hurts!

Huh shows how well I read game on then for the cops bad luck for him. If they really heard shots though seems like the intruders had left and he was the only other person with a gun. Interesting to hear where the shot came from. But if they did hear it I would not want to be in his shoes for obvious reasons

The dude was probably scared shitless and not thinking clearly. In his mind (and reality) he was the good guy and was doing nothing wrong. Unfortunately it didn't occur to him what it might look like to the police who don't know who's who.

A lesson here is to inform dispatch that you the homeowner are armed. They can relay that to the responding officers and remind you of obvious things like "don't have a gun in your hand when the police get there".

All that aside, it sounds like a shitty day for that guy. I'm glad to hear he was only wounded.

And another thing, I'm sick of them describing the race of everyone involved and then adding a few quips at the end about other stories involving non-same-race players.

Rush to judgement and Monday morning quarterbacking here followed by "if it were me I would have..." Unless you've been there and done that or have had beaucoup training and can react to a high degree of instinctive training, you don't know what you would do.

Actually, this sort of thing happens frequently. Person has been involved in a perceived life threatening encounter, has used firearm, tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, tach psyche effect, plus a tremendous adrenaline rush and then a dump. Police arrive, person is still in heightened state of threat awareness, holding weapon, doesn't know if bad guys have returned. Cops arrive, don't know if homeowner is good guy or bad guy, they have gone from 0 to 60 too, adrenaline rushing, weapons drawn, they see guy with gun, order him to put down gun, maybe he doesn't move fast enough or moves towards them unaware he is holding gun, or don't give him time to put down gun (tach psyche effect time slows down) end result major fail both sides exacerbated by the current racial tensions which really has nothing to do with the situation. This is classic and virtually every major self defense school that teaches the dynamics of lethal force can bring up similar cases.

The answer: better training on both the LEO and gun owners part. Gun owner needs to know what to do after a firefight and after the police have been called. This can't be empirical knowledge. It has to be ingrained at the cellular level. Police have to be trained to higher standards when responding in more shoot/no shoot situations.

Will anything really change? Absolutely not, and a new thread will be posted about a similar case somewhere else. It may very well be that the cop will be black and the homeowner white. Race had nothing to do with it and these incidents will continue to go on and on.

Best thing you can do is get training and imprint your course of action if something like this goes down.

Rush to judgement and Monday morning quarterbacking here followed by "if it were me I would have..." Unless you've been there and done that or have had beaucoup training and can react to a high degree of instinctive training, you don't know what you would do.

Actually, this sort of thing happens frequently. Person has been involved in a perceived life threatening encounter, has used firearm, tunnel vision, auditory exclusion, tach psyche effect, plus a tremendous adrenaline rush and then a dump. Police arrive, person is still in heightened state of threat awareness, holding weapon, doesn't know if bad guys have returned. Cops arrive, don't know if homeowner is good guy or bad guy, they have gone from 0 to 60 too, adrenaline rushing, weapons drawn, they see guy with gun, order him to put down gun, maybe he doesn't move fast enough or moves towards them unaware he is holding gun, or don't give him time to put down gun (tach psyche effect time slows down) end result major fail both sides exacerbated by the current racial tensions which really has nothing to do with the situation. This is classic and virtually every major self defense school that teaches the dynamics of lethal force can bring up similar cases.

The answer: better training on both the LEO and gun owners part. Gun owner needs to know what to do after a firefight and after the police have been called. This can't be empirical knowledge. It has to be ingrained at the cellular level. Police have to be trained to higher standards when responding in more shoot/no shoot situations.

Will anything really change? Absolutely not, and a new thread will be posted about a similar case somewhere else. It may very well be that the cop will be black and the homeowner white. Race had nothing to do with it and these incidents will continue to go on and on.

Best thing you can do is get training and imprint your course of action if something like this goes down.
Cliff notes version: after the fight holster the ****ing heater before the po po show up ;)

Mark nailed it.

The only thing I can add is to say that people should think about this situation really hard. How you behave in the immediate aftermath of an event like this, or worse, one where you are in public and use a gun to protect people, may well determine whether you live or die.

To bystanders, you may just be another guy with a gun shooting at people. They don't know who is the 'good guy'. Neither will the police. You can't assume that anybody is going to share your version of what happened, and you can't assume the cops will show up and figure it out.

This isn't a perfect analog, but, I have been on scene at a couple of accidents where pedestrians were hit (out of my depth at that level of trauma, but I can try to calm people down) and when the police showed up they were not interested in my explanation of what happened, they didn't want to talk to me, and they ordered me away immediately (despite there being no other people helping the victim.)

My assumption is that if you add gunfire to a situation where there are bodies on the ground, you DO NOT want to be the guy standing around with a gun in your hand when the police show up. And like Mark said, don't assume you'll have the wherewithal to think it all through calmly before the police get there.

Yeah the homeowner FUd up -- but notice how quickly the PO got the ambulance audio out there to clear themselves --
If it had been a real bad PO FU do you think we'd hear that audio?

Also don't assume the police are the good guys, don't make a statement and don't go "down to the station " unless they are arresting you. First and foremost remain silent and ask for a lawyer if taken in.

As far as I can see everyone did everything correctly, sometimes it just doesn't end well. If he new the police were there he should have left the gun inside or put it down when they told him to. Could be the cop was too trigger happy but none of us were there. Either way, bad for everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah the homeowner FUd up -- but notice how quickly the PO got the ambulance audio out there to clear themselves --
If it had been a real bad PO FU do you think we'd hear that audio?

Can't blame them given the last year can you?

As far as I can see everyone did everything correctly, sometimes it just doesn't end well. If he new the police were there he should have left the gun inside or put it down when they told him to. Could be the cop was too trigger happy but none of us were there. Either way, bad for everyone.

It's just one more thing to think about before you draw your gun. Make sure whatever you are going to do is worth dying for, and that you will have no regrets no matter how it plays out( hint: the media probably won't be calling you a hero.)

Sounds to me like it was just a miss understanding, cops are responding to a call about armed intruders and when they arrive this guys exits the house with his gun drawn.. I think if I was the cop I would assume that he was a threat and if I ordered him to drop it and his body laugauge/movements suggested that he was doing anything else I'd probably shoot..

I can't blame the HO either tho because if I was just in a shooting match I'm not sure I would be thinking straight and holster my weapon, that's also assuming I have a holster for it and am wearing it, if it's any of my rifles I obviously don't have a holster and half my handguns I don't carry so I don't have holsters for em..

Lol @ the spin.

How many white people live in the US?

How many black people? Oh! Itsa fraction of the white population? Does that mean your links are totally meaningless spin? Yes? Welllll shit

By that logic Glocks are super dangerous and should be banned because glock kills more people than colt Pytons

Also I honestly don't understand your last line. Please advise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom