Homesteading Skills

i watch a lot of youtube channels about homesteading and living off the land. sustaining the family seems to be a full time job for these people. just simple stuff like making soap is a chore, never mind keeping bees and making syrup, planting and tending a garden and keeping animals. that's why they call it farming.

No doubt. I am not a homesteader, but I find more and more enjoyment out of living the life as it was done "in the old days". There is just something that triggers my senses when I hunt, fish, cook from scratch, make bread, grow veggies, can food, etc. I do it in moderation so it is manageable. My goal is to learn each chore little by little. Take gardening as an example. I only started it last year. Two tomato plants, two pepper plants; that was it. This year I am adding garlic, potato, cucumbers and beans, but only a couple of each.

Every day I spend hours cooking or prepping food. It has helped me realize though what is truly important in life, and it ain't things like my big screen TV. I am self employed. Many years were focused on growing the business and trying to make a bunch of money so we can have stuff. My wannabe homesteading has brought me closer to my wife, my kids and honestly, even myself. This pandemic has been an interesting experiment for the family. Other than hardly working, our life has not changed at all. I am actually doing much more of the above because time allows. I also have realized that my consumption of cash is way below than I thought it would be, making me rethink this whole retirement thing.

I am not sure I am ready to start making soap because I think I can purchase it for less than a buck, but I will not rule it out :) I think there is a balance of work/income and a simpler way of life that would make many of us that are of a more conservative nature much happier.

One more thing. The animal thing adds a whole new element because it really ties you to your home. Going away becomes even more trickier. Now I realize why farmers back a couple of generations ago had a pile of kids. You needed them.

No doubt. I am not a homesteader, but I find more and more enjoyment out of living the life as it was done "in the old days". There is just something that triggers my senses when I hunt, fish, cook from scratch, make bread, grow veggies, can food, etc. I do it in moderation so it is manageable. My goal is to learn each chore little by little. Take gardening as an example. I only started it last year. Two tomato plants, two pepper plants; that was it. This year I am adding garlic, potato, cucumbers and beans, but only a couple of each.

Every day I spend hours cooking or prepping food. It has helped me realize though what is truly important in life, and it ain't things like my big screen TV. I am self employed. Many years were focused on growing the business and trying to make a bunch of money so we can have stuff. My wannabe homesteading has brought me closer to my wife, my kids and honestly, even myself. This pandemic has been an interesting experiment for the family. Other than hardly working, our life has not changed at all. I am actually doing much more of the above because time allows. I also have realized that my consumption of cash is way below than I thought it would be, making me rethink this whole retirement thing.

I am not sure I am ready to start making soap because I think I can purchase it for less than a buck, but I will not rule it out :) I think there is a balance of work/income and a simpler way of life that would make many of us that are of a more conservative nature much happier.

One more thing. The animal thing adds a whole new element because it really ties you to your home. Going away becomes even more trickier. Now I realize why farmers back a couple of generations ago had a pile of kids. You needed them.

The thing about homesteading and learning the skills and labor it takes to do it is it insures to some greater degree that you can/will survive when you can't purchase that store bought food or meats or soap or other items.

This virus has been a real wakeup call on every level, from federal all the way down to personal and the panic buying that has been observed in most stores proved undeniably that most people have pretty much lost the skills and desire to be independent. They rely completely on a system that they have absolutely no control over to supply them with their daily sustenance rather than learning/doing and wanting to break free from it and do for themselves.

I'm glad to see that you are breaking the chains and realizing ultimately how important it is to maintain some modicum of self reliance in your life. It will always benefit you.

The thing about homesteading and learning the skills and labor it takes to do it is it insures to some greater degree that you can/will survive when you can't purchase that store bought food or meats or soap or other items.
i think you might be mistaking prepping with homesteading. easy to do. homesteaders to me are folks who start from scratch, acquire land far from other people, corner stores and malls and live an existence pretty much relying on their own skills, wits and hard work. a lot of times these people are off the grid but none the less, responsible totally on themselves for their existence. you gotta be a farmer, animal tender, vet, school teacher and medic among other skills. other opinions may vary.

^^ If I am not mistaken I think you are mistaken about him being mistaken.

My wife & I used to run classes on home canning a few years ago. I plan on doing this again after our next move.
Yes please. I've been reading and watching vids for a while. Too long I think. Kind of dont know where to start. Same with gardening, dont know where to begin.

If you want to start canning pick up the Ball Book of Canning and a Wall Mart pressure cooker. A pressure canner isn't needed, you can get two pressure cooker for the cost of the canner.

if you're canning for two or three adults pint jars are the best choice because each jar with hold one pound of meat which makes for a good meal. Got kids ? For two or three little ones go with quart jars. Especially if you have at least one teen in the house.

When we heard this stay home crap might take a few more months because covidiots refuse to isolate I ordered four cases of Ball pint jars and my wife went out and got a little over 36 pounds of various meats I need to process now. Thankfully I set aside a few shoeboxes of lids. Remember, the rings are reusable. Oh, if you're canning carrots and string beans use wide mouth pint jars. Much easier to fill and empty.

Here's another tip, if you're making soup, stew or any gravy mix use the liquid which rendered out of the meat during processing. Yes, it's full of fat (and blood and whatever else was in it) but that's where the flavor is ! The fat is fuel for your body tomorrow. Anything else you eat is fuel for today. If you or your wife is concerned about the fat content skim it off after opening the jar and give it to your pets.

Last edited:
If you want to start canning pick up the Ball Book of Canning and a Wall Mart pressure cooker. A pressure canner isn't needed, you can get two pressure cooker for the cost of the canner.

if you're canning for two or three adults pint jars are the best choice because each jar with hold one pound of meat which makes for a good meal. Got kids ? For two or three little ones go with quart jars. Especially if you have at least one teen in the house.

When we heard this stay home crap might take a few more months because covidiots refuse to isolate I ordered four cases of Ball pint jars and my wife went out and got a little over 36 pounds of various meats I need to process now. Thankfully I set aside a few shoeboxes of lids. Remember, the rings are reusable. Oh, if you're canning carrots and string beans use wide mouth pint jars. Much easier to fill and empty.

Here's another tip, if you're making soup, stew or any gravy mix use the liquid which rendered out of the meat during processing. Yes, it's full of fat (and blood and whatever else was in it) but that's where the flavor is ! The fat is fuel for your body tomorrow. Anything else you eat is fuel for today. If you or your wife is concerned about the fat content skim it off after opening the jar and give it to your pets.

I'm sure I will be asking you and whoever else does a lot of canning many questions. I was thinking I'd like to lay in a better supply of meat but the freezers are full. Then I remembered I have a pressure canner. I've only used it for green beans....once. So I need to figure out the meat process. I've made various types of pickled things, jelly and tomatoe in a water bath canner. This year I plan to expand on that.

I've found raw pack works best, I cut the raw meat into bite size pieces and add sliced onion pieces (or dried onion bits), dried garlic bits or various herbs in alternating layers. It adds quite a bit of flavor. Poultry cans very well, as does pork loin. They hold their texture well. You may find the outside of the jars a bit greasy but all my home canned pork has never lost its seal. After the jars cool give them a wash with dish soap, they'll be fine. Lamb / mutton cans extremely well, it really holds its texture and canning it with a little spearmint puts it over the top ! Plus it's cheaper than beef !

Canning beef (ground or chunks), is another story. It just falls apart. The good news is commercially canned ground beef or pieces is readily avaiable. At least before the recent troubles. For canning fish, if suggest 1/2 pint jars. Fish seems to turn out more like a spread. I haven't canned much fish, YMMV. Just check for pin bones before prosessing.

I'm sure I will be asking you and whoever else does a lot of canning many questions. I was thinking I'd like to lay in a better supply of meat but the freezers are full. Then I remembered I have a pressure canner. I've only used it for green beans....once. So I need to figure out the meat process. I've made various types of pickled things, jelly and tomatoe in a water bath canner. This year I plan to expand on that.

Sterilized jars and lids ( wide mouth quarts work best).

Meat ( venison, pork, chicken, beef,) cut into 2 inch cubes.

Pack cool/cold raw meat in jars, remove air bubbles that may form by packing them tighter and use a long bamboo or metal scewer to provide a path to the top of the jar for the air.

Leave 1/2-3/4 inch headspace.

Add 1 teaspoon of salt ( optional)

Wipe jar tops clean and dry and apply lid and ring, screw on just finger tight. ( look it up)

Place jars in pressure canner with recommended amount of water for your particular cooker/canner, bring up to temperature and allow it to vent steam until the steam plume is steady and strong, place weight on steam port and bring up to the recommended pressure for your altitude above sea level and process at that pressure for 90 minutes.

You will have to adjust your burner heat down, electric or gas to find the sweet spot where the pressure remains constant.

USE A TIMER....IT HELPS.

When time is up, Turn off pressure cooker, allow to cool down and depressurize COMPLETELY then open and remove jars and place on a towel on a table or counter top to cool. The lids should show a good vacuum.

Remove rings, wipe jars down with slightly soapy dish cloth and warm water and dry. Place on shelf.....viola....canned meat!

That's how it's done. Some people add boiling water to the jars but I've always found the meat to have enough in it to make its own broth.

Lots of recipes online.

Last edited:
Picked up a book from the clearance shelf years ago called "Back to Basics." It starts with the piece of land and covers everything from building structures to gardening to cellaring, mostly with hand tools. Been trying to develop the skills and incorporate them into our land for a few years now. Take it one project at a time. Best $4 ever spend on aBook

Recently dug this out of the basement library”

Recommended processing times: 75 minutes for pint jars. 90 minutes for quarts.

On removing jars: shut heat off, when jiggler/weight stops all movement wait 15 minutes then remove, wait another 15 minutes for all steam to vent before removing lid to take jars out.

The waiting time may appear excessive but since I've started following this and waiting I have not seen any cracked or broken jars.

Do not attempt to rush the canning process.

If you find a cracked jar do not eat the contents ! there may be slivers of glass. Personally, I don't even let pets eat it.

If there's any doubt on processing times for different foods, consult the Ball Book of Canning or the Good Housekeeping Cookbook. My wife and I find them to be excellent reference materials.

Scored another 10lb specimen on a downed yellow birch deep in the wetlands near my land. The large branch was heavily rotted and the chaga peeled off with ease. Glad I happened upon another! Can’t beat the massive amount of good stuff found in this fungi. I have enough to last me several years now. If anyone is short on chaga and needs a bit let me know.
AF13006D-352F-4BA4-81A0-391074DD74D2.jpeg

Last edited:
Scored another 10lb specimen on a downed yellow birch deep in the wetlands near my land. The large branch was heavily rotted and the chaga peeled off with ease. Glad I happened upon another! Can’t beat the massive amount of good stuff found in this fungi. I have enough to last me several years now. If anyone is short on chaga and needs a bit let me know.
View attachment 496185
Don’t know where you’re at, but I’ll take chaga any day.

This is way outside my knowledge zone; how does one use chaga?

Medicinal mushroom powders​

Medicinal mushrooms such as shiitake, chaga, and reishi are loaded with vitamin D, minerals, and fiber to support the immune system. Medicinal mushroom powders can be used in a variety of healthy dishes, snacks, and health tonics or lattes.

Of course they have been popularized as a trendy condiment.

[thumbsup]

My s/ answer was; "sparingly, just sparingly"

This is way outside my knowledge zone; how does one use chaga?
Chaga is an ancient adaptogen loaded with melanin, triterpines, and a very large amount of complex chemicals. It is known to be anti-cancerous, able to regulate the immune system, and provide balance to the human body. It also has one of the highest ORAC values of any other organic material. It has a history of many studies based upon animal subjects in Russian, Japanese, and Chinese research but has much to be learned with human ones.

I brew it as a tea primarily by water extraction. Put a few thumb sized chunks in a crock pot for about 8 hours and you will wind up with a very dark liquid which tastes very good on its own. Slightly acrid with earthy undertones.

It is found on birch trees in northern climates. It has a rather heightened focus based on newly minted herbalists, naturalists, and popularity of eastern medicine.

eta: Some other identified chemicals include polyphenols, polysaccharides, and beta glucans. Suffice it to say you can’t grow this thing yourself with a kit as the potent payload will not be there.

Last edited:
Chaga is an ancient adaptogen loaded with melanin, triterpines, and a very large amount of complex chemicals. It is known to be anti-cancerous, able to regulate the immune system, and provide balance to the human body. It also has one of the highest ORAC values of any other organic material. It has a history of many studies based upon animal subjects in Russian, Japanese, and Chinese research but has much to be learned with human ones.

I brew it as a tea primarily by water extraction. Put a few thumb sized chunks in a crock pot for about 8 hours and you will wind up with a very dark liquid which tastes very good on its own. Slightly acrid with earthy undertones.

It is found on birch trees in northern climates. It has a rather heightened focus based on newly minted herbalists, naturalists, and popularity of eastern medicine.

eta: Some other identified chemicals include polyphenols, polysaccharides, and beta glucans. Suffice it to say you can’t grow this thing yourself with a kit as the potent payload will be be there.
my grandma was doing that chaga brew and i think it was the out most disgusting thing i had ever tried in my life. and i do not recall it to do anything specifically good to my immune system as while a kid i think i had an every single bug and shit that was flowing around.
that, followed by fish oil, followed by, damn... i think it was a juice of the birch tree, a natural one. also a murderous sour poison.

my grandma was doing that chaga brew and i think it was the out most disgusting thing i had ever tried in my life. and i do not recall it to do anything specifically good to my immune system as while a kid i think i had an every single bug and shit that was flowing around.
that, followed by fish oil, followed by, damn... i think it was a juice of the birch tree, a natural one. also a murderous sour poison.
I love the stuff. It seriously just tastes like black tea. I’m more apt to try what the earth puts forth rather than a Wuhan animal lab.

Back
Top Bottom