• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Homesteading Skills

Here are pics.

View attachment 540102View attachment 540103View attachment 540104View attachment 540105View attachment 540106View attachment 540108

For comparison here are 3 eggs laid yesterday
View attachment 540114

Observations are they smelled normal upon opening. The yolks were a little delicate. They were intact when opening, but broke when hitting the bowl, unlike the fresh eggs. When beat for scrambled eggs they feel less viscous than fresh eggs. They fluffed up nicely when cooked. They tasted great.
Those have been setting for a year?
Label says Nov.2020.
We don't have chickens but interested in different food preservation techniques.

Those have been setting for a year?
Label says Nov.2020.
We don't have chickens but interested in different food preservation techniques.

Yes. Full year. Room temp.

I've eaten about 15 so far. The only difference is they are more runny/yolk fragile. Half the yolks break when you drop it in a pan. Taste is fine. Certainly better than store bought eggs.

Adding a fact I didn't consider before. These are fertilized eggs and not a single one shows growth. So the salt also stops embryonic growth on the spot.

...I brew it as a tea primarily by water extraction. Put a few thumb sized chunks in a crock pot for about 8 hours and you will wind up with a very dark liquid which tastes very good on its own. Slightly acrid with earthy undertones...
Do you know about storing dried chaga? I have a couple clumps from a couple dead birch on my property that I have had for a couple years. They still look orange and I don't notice any mildew or mold growing on the clusters. I'd love to use them or give them away, but am not sure about the safety of using older clumps.

Do you know about storing dried chaga? I have a couple clumps from a couple dead birch on my property that I have had for a couple years. They still look orange and I don't notice any mildew or mold growing on the clusters. I'd love to use them or give them away, but am not sure about the safety of using older clumps.
They’re fine. Drink up.

Adding an update I am still slowly eating those raw stored eggs from a jar filled Decemeber 2020. So 15 months later they are still good stored at room temp.

I can't beleive I had to essentially rediscover this insanely easy storage method. Everyone should know a local farmer (or have chickens) and store eggs this way.

We bought more jars. Currently we have 5 which will hold 75 eggs each. So we can store 375 eggs without refrigeration for well over a year.

Adding an update I am still slowly eating those raw stored eggs from a jar filled Decemeber 2020. So 15 months later they are still good stored at room temp.

I can't beleive I had to essentially rediscover this insanely easy storage method. Everyone should know a local farmer (or have chickens) and store eggs this way.

We bought more jars. Currently we have 5 which will hold 75 eggs each. So we can store 375 eggs without refrigeration for well over a year.
What jars are you using for this?

The prices on these are insane obviously. They were a lot cheaper 2020 when I ordered the first one. If anyone can point me to a cheaper 2.5 or 5 gal wide mouth glass jar I wouod appreciate a lead.

Is that Two ... Too ... or To gross [laugh2]

I went to youtube to find the clip of Popeye saying "I say what I say and mean what I mean", only to, tragically, find that I was remembering a different phrase, "I yam what I yam". However, whilst there I stumbled upon a clip reasonably appropriate for the Dark Humor thread, where I am headed momentarily.

(two)

I went to youtube to find the clip of Popeye saying "I say what I say and mean what I mean", only to, tragically, find that I was remembering a different phrase, "I yam what I yam". However, whilst there I stumbled upon a clip reasonably appropriate for the Dark Humor thread, where I am headed momentarily.

(two)
You're thinking of Horton. "I said what i meant and i meant what i said."

Eggs in a jar.

Stupid question; Are the eggs preserved somehow ? They seem to be in shell. I don't want to launch myself into a search of previous posts searching because I'll just get distracted (Squirrel!) and forget wtf i'm looking for so I'll ask. Is there anything done with the eggs before they go into the jar ? Are they immersed in anything? Is this really just putting whole eggs into an empty jar ? Vacuumed sealed? Water filled ? Just raw eggs in a jar stored in a cool dark place? This is something new to me. Elaborate please.

Eggs in a jar.

Stupid question; Are the eggs preserved somehow ? They seem to be in shell. I don't want to launch myself into a search of previous posts searching because I'll just get distracted (Squirrel!) and forget wtf i'm looking for so I'll ask. Is there anything done with the eggs before they go into the jar ? Are they immersed in anything? Is this really just putting whole eggs into an empty jar ? Vacuumed sealed? Water filled ? Just raw eggs in a jar stored in a cool dark place? This is something new to me. Elaborate please.

1) Collect eggs from chickens. DO NOT USE STORE BOUGHT EGGS (They have been washed with detergent, removing protein layer)

2) rub eggs lightly with DRY towel to remove debris. They make special mesh towels for this purpose. Search Amazon. DO NOT WASH THE EGGS.

3) Fill glass jar with water deep enough to cover eggs collected.

4) Add eggs to jar.

5) Sprinkle pickling lime, aka calcium hydroxide, to create light layer on tops of eggs

That's it.

If doing 75 eggs at same time you can pre-mix the lime into water and stir vigorously. Then add eggs and it will settle out on top of them. Ratio is 1 ounce of lime to 1 quart of water.

Article

We leave our backyard chicken eggs on the counter for weeks at a time.
If we have any concerns we do the float test.
Anything that floats, gets checked for rottenness and then fed to the dog.

View attachment 594427

I've been eating eggs all my life, cooking them probably since I was 7-8 years old, so that's 58 years. I can remember only one time ever having a bad egg.

I've been eating eggs all my life, cooking them probably since I was 7-8 years old, so that's 58 years. I can remember only one time ever having a bad egg.
I have only been doing backyard chickens for fifteen years, but I always crack single eggs into a small bowl before adding them to the pan, or mixing bowl in case there is a bad one.
Like you, I've only had one bad egg in that time (it was actually the wife that cracked it open), but I'd rather not ruin a dish, the brownies, or a cake.

I have only been doing backyard chickens for fifteen years, but I always crack single eggs into a small bowl before adding them to the pan, or mixing bowl in case there is a bad one.
Like you, I've only had one bad egg in that time (it was actually the wife that cracked it open), but I'd rather not ruin a dish, the brownies, or a cake.
Yes, cracking singles into a bowl is wise if you're going multiple eggs for a dish.

I worked as a short order cook in a company cafeteria when in high school and cooked breakfast for their 2nd shift 5 days a week. Prep for the breakfast meal required cracking a couple of cases of eggs ahead of time. We did it in stainless bowls, 4-5 at a time to prevent contaminating dozens if a bad one appeared, then transferred them into a stainless pitcher. Those eggs were beaten and used for omelets. The over easy, medium, hard fried etc. were cracked fresh at the grill. Easy enough to sweep a bad one off the grill.

I got 4 more 2gal glass jars from Target for $14 each!! If anyone lives near Concord there are 5 in stock at the store. But you need to order them thru the Target.com website as a pickup order to get that price. Search for "256oz glass jar".

I also found this site:
You can get them for about $20 delivered. The shipping is half the cost but they're big and glass so kinda expected.

I'm going to buy more. Aiming to be able to store 750 or so eggs. That would be 1 per day per person for 6 months on hand. I can easily fill that in mid summer in less than 2 months as we get about 18eggs per day from our 27 hens. Then I can rotate eggs in/out of the jars through the winter when I only get about 6-8 eggs per day.

I started storing this year's eggs. I only put the cleanest eggs in the jar, we eat the others. I stack them dry, then add water/pickling lime solution once the jar is full. I'm going to fill one per month and cycle through them once they are all full. This will give me 650ish eggs in rotation without power required to maintain. I'll try to buy more jars through summer.

20220526_105655.jpg

Back
Top Bottom