• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hoodie Pocket Carry

LuvToGoFast

NES Member
I am looking for suggestions for a holster to use in the front pocket of my zip up hoodie. It's for a J-frame, and I only use it for this kind of carry, to and from work.
I wear scrubs for work, and pocket carry in scrubs is less than ideal as it pulls my pants down, A belt is not an option, and I don't like how belly bands sit on me.
I currently use a sticky pocket holster, and its ok, just doesn't sit in the pocket as secure as I'd like. Does anyone carry like this? Any suggestions for a different holster?

Michael

I am looking for suggestions for a holster to use in the front pocket of my zip up hoodie. It's for a J-frame, and I only use it for this kind of carry, to and from work.
I wear scrubs for work, and pocket carry in scrubs is less than ideal as it pulls my pants down, A belt is not an option, and I don't like how belly bands sit on me.
I currently use a sticky pocket holster, and its ok, just doesn't sit in the pocket as secure as I'd like. Does anyone carry like this? Any suggestions for a different holster?

Michael
Phlster enigma. This is the way.

No way. Have you ever tried putting anything somewhat heavy in that pocket?

1. It looks awkward AF.

2. Easy to hit the gun against stuff since it will be further from your body.

3. Those pockets are not designed to hold weight.

4. Move a lot and you risk losing the gun.

5. The pocket and Hoodie are not designed to draw a gun from the pocket, what will happen is you will end up lifting your hoodie and the holster will not release the gun. Have you ever used a holster?
The pocket is usually awkward, combined with not being rigid, it is easy for the sights or your hand to pull it up. Just test it, unload your gun, drop it in your pocket and try to draw using one hand.

I am sure there are 20 more reasons why this is a terrible idea.

If I were inclined to carry in a hoodie pocket I'd probably come up with (if it doesn't already exist) a system using snaps to attach a holster with a flat back to the inside of the pocket so its not flopping around or risk tumbling out.

Every hoodie I own lacks the rigidity to keep a J frame from flopping over and printing badly, to say nothing about having no control over the position,,, it could easily roll over so that the grip was pointing up.

Short of putting a belt around it and having it slide thru the pocket area by way of a couple of cuts which would need to be sewn up to prevent fraying, then finding a holster that could attach to the belt, I don't see how it is going to be carried without telling the world and readily accessible in a position to draw ready to fire.

YMMV

PS I love J frames, I carried one for years, including in ankle holsters, but hoodie carry never worked out for me

No way. Have you ever tried putting anything somewhat heavy in that pocket?

1. It looks awkward AF.

2. Easy to hit the gun against stuff since it will be further from your body.

3. Those pockets are not designed to hold weight.

4. Move a lot and you risk losing the gun.

5. The pocket and Hoodie are not designed to draw a gun from the pocket, what will happen is you will end up lifting your hoodie and the holster will not release the gun. Have you ever used a holster?
The pocket is usually awkward, combined with not being rigid, it is easy for the sights or your hand to pull it up. Just test it, unload your gun, drop it in your pocket and try to draw using one hand.

I am sure there are 20 more reasons why this is a terrible idea.
Well I know all of that, hence the question. I carry with a proper belt and holster. I'm trying to figure out a way to still be armed to and from work when I am wearing scrubs.

small polymer pistol, elastic band inside the hoodie at pocket level, either all the way around or just from the side to get the hoodie to fit to your tummy, then a good holster attached ( sewn, glued) to the inside of the hoodie where the weight would transfer to the elastic.

Another vote for Phlster Engima. They are currently having a 20% sale. I bought a G19 version, but ended up buying a cheap amazon holster for my EC9s that fits the enigma plate holes perfectly. I left the included belt clip on after adding some rubber spacers because without it my pants (belt or no) would either ride up and cover the gun too much or ride under the holster and make it stick out too much. Using the Enigma's attached nylon belt + the clip (even with pants without a belt/sweat pants) keeps the holster in the goldilocks zone.

IMG_0867[8937].jpg

Another vote for Phlster Engima. They are currently having a 20% sale. I bought a G19 version, but ended up buying a cheap amazon holster for my EC9s that fits the enigma plate holes perfectly. I left the included belt clip on after adding some rubber spacers because without it my pants (belt or no) would either ride up and cover the gun too much or ride under the holster and make it stick out too much. Using the Enigma's attached nylon belt + the clip (even with pants without a belt/sweat pants) keeps the holster in the goldilocks zone.

View attachment 721444
I just Googled that Phlster holster. Is that string that is supposed to go in between the legs uncomfortable? (For obvious reasons).

Phlster enigma for AIWB without attaching to your pants?

Or:

I'm a big Vedder guy, most of my IWB holsters are Vedder, but for pocket I like Alabama Pocket Holsters better. I had a Vedder and the base wasn't wide enough and the gun would not stay upright very well. It also has a thumb break and the hook catches much better on the pants when you draw than the Vedder.

Alabama also has a Cargo Pocket Holster which has an even wider base so it stays upright in larger pockets. They have a back pocket holster and deep cover pocket holster as well as pocket mag holders.

Here's a pic of a BG in the Alabama Pocket one. The website pics for the PH don't show the true proportions, the bend makes it looks like the base is much shorter than it actually is.

Image.jpeg Image.jpeg

I'm a big Vedder guy, most of my IWB holsters are Vedder, but for pocket I like Alabama Pocket Holsters better. I had a Vedder and the base wasn't wide enough and the gun would not stay upright very well. It also has a thumb break and the hook catches much better on the pants when you draw than the Vedder.

Alabama also has a Cargo Pocket Holster which has an even wider base so it stays upright in larger pockets. They have a back pocket holster and deep cover pocket holster as well as pocket mag holders.

Here's a pic of a BG in the Alabama Pocket one. The website pics for the PH don't show the true proportions, the bend makes it looks like the base is much shorter than it actually is.

View attachment 721447 View attachment 721448
I've yet to try a pocket holster (my smallest is a Shield, and I usually have a +2 basepad) so it's good to know the Alabama is better if I ever want to get one.

It just wraps around your right leg, doesn't go between them. With the clip AND a belt I find I don't need it, but it's necessary if you don't have both (i.e. in its original configuration). I didn't find it uncomfortable, you can adjust it and the (flat) string it comes with would fit around a california redwood. I'm skinny so I trimmed it and the belt quite a lot.

I just Googled that Phlster holster. Is that string that is supposed to go in between the legs uncomfortable? (For obvious reasons).

Some questions;

Have you considered a jacket with normal pockets? Or a diff hoodie with zippered pockets?

You don’t specify if you’re driving, walking or taking the T to and from work.

What do you do with the hoodie and gun when you arrive at work? You stated that this is only for to/from.

The only thing I can think of atm is to have a tailor sew some Velcro panels on each side of your pocket and the matching ends to each side of a soft holster and mount it inside the pocket that way. I’d also want some type of retention for the gun. IE some elastic band or shock cord sewn across the top of your soft holster to retain the gun.

The only thing I can think of atm is to have a tailor sew some Velcro panels on each side of your pocket and the matching ends to each side of a soft holster and mount it inside the pocket that way. I’d also want some type of retention for the gun. IE some elastic band or shock cord sewn across the top of your soft holster to retain the gun.
That's a good idea. Then you could use something like these:
vertx_holiday_finals_tactigami_ig-47.jpg

I don't know how well it would fit a J-frame, but would be pretty good for a semi.

edit: thinking on this a second, there's a pretty big problem in that hoodies move easily. Drawing will probably require two hands.

That's a good idea. Then you could use something like these:
vertx_holiday_finals_tactigami_ig-47.jpg

I don't know how well it would fit a J-frame, but would be pretty good for a semi.
Looks good. Having velcro on both sides of the pocket + holster may also help to pull that pocket closed a bit more as well less due to the weight distribution pulling both sides down.

OP could even cut some strips of Velcro and sew them onto the pocket edges to act like a zipper securing all inside.

Sometimes even good gear is made better by the user.

Looks good. Having velcro on both sides of the pocket + holster may also help to pull that pocket closed a bit more as well less due to the weight distribution pulling both sides down.

OP could even cut some strips of Velcro and sew them onto the pocket edges to act like a zipper securing all inside.

Sometimes even good gear is made better by the user.
Until the velcro gets full of crap or ruined with the washes.

But it could probably work.

Still won't solve the problem of pulling the hoodie up with the gun, since the hoodie is not rigid. He would need two hands, one to hold the hoodie and one to draw the gun.

I think you can pull this off with some discrete sewing of a secure pocket with holster sewn in. Think about it and get creative and buy a blue plastic safety gun for mock up and practice.

Back
Top Bottom