Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association Semi-offical thread

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As long as the old fenway style pissah's stay - that's all I care about - those things are mint!
Sorry, it goes. But, I have some connections and can probably get you a good deal on it if you want it for your man cave.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Thinking about joining on Monday. Wanted to get into 3 gun and my current club doesnt have the ranges for it. I see theres regular ISPSA practice, could you do some 3 gun practice in the sand pits?

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thinking about joining on Monday. Wanted to get into 3 gun and my current club doesnt have the ranges for it. I see theres regular ISPSA practice, could you do some 3 gun practice in the sand pits?
Only one or two (forgot which) of the pits is authorized for long gun use. Check the sign at each pit and stick to handguns on the pits without signs.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Only one or two (forgot which) of the pits is authorized for long gun use. Check the sign at each pit and stick to handguns on the pits without signs.

Pistol bays 5 & 6 are authorized for long gun use. 6 is fairly narrow but 5 is perfect for what you describe if steel is kept at the recommended safe distance.

SJan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I urge you to get into a one gun game (USPSA, IDPA ect.) before you try out 3 gun.

Marlow

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if there is a scheduled indoor range orientation coming up? When I joined in 2016 I had an FID and did not own a handgun so I did not attend the indoor orientation. Since getting my LTC, I've been enjoying shooting at the outdoor ranges, but I would like to get my key card unlocked.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There is a general orientation for new members which is done for a group (new members are notified by email). The indoor range qualification is done by appointment before El Prez. He's retired and very flexible about meeting times.

There are a couple of people who do qualification for the 200 yard rifle range (no separate key for that though, but you can't use it until you get the "200" stamped on your membership card),

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't think I've swiped in to open the main gate once in the past 3 months. I usually go in the mornings, usually Friday and Saturday. I always check the calendar and even if there are no events scheduled, the gate's always been open.

What's up with that?
The skeet gate is opened Sunday 8:30-13:30; Tuesday 17:30-21:30 and Thursday 9:00-12:00 for scheduled skeet events.

We also generally program both gates to stay open all day when we expect a visit from the plow.

As to Friday and Saturday - not generally opened unless a BOD member uses the key override to leave the gates open for some event not programmed into the system.

JJ4

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I couldn't make tonight's general meeting. Can anyone PM me anything interesting that came up? I like to keep up on current/future initiatives - you know, interesting stuff like motion sensors on the bathroom lights so they can't be left on when nobody's there.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I couldn't make tonight's general meeting. Can anyone PM me anything interesting that came up? I like to keep up on current/future initiatives - you know, interesting stuff like motion sensors on the bathroom lights so they can't be left on when nobody's there.
Motion sensors were part of the grand reshitterization. Notice the lack of light switches on the walls.

Aegius

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live right next to this club and have been considering joining for a while. I'm tired of traveling to short distance indoor ranges. I'm not sure about the process of lining up a sponsor. Anyone willing to sponsor?

chopper_man

Army Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
It's a great club! I'd recommend you go to a couple of the public shoots and introduce yourself, they are all listed on the calendar. I highly doubt anyone will just blindly sponsor you as we need to vouch for you. Members are also limited to 2 sponsor-ships per year.

Aegius

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a great club! I'd recommend you go to a couple of the public shoots and introduce yourself, they are all listed on the calendar. I highly doubt anyone will just blindly sponsor you as we need to vouch for you. Members are also limited to 2 sponsor-ships per year.
I'm looking at the calendar for April. Which ones are public shoots?

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have noticed several things about HSA:

1. They have a lot of events that encourage non member (public) participation.
  2. These events invariably close the range down to members for a significant portion of the warmer weekends (almost every weekend in April has an even that closes ranges down).
  3. Membership has swelled to the point that getting range time on the pistol bays on warm weekends is nearly impossible unless you show up early or get lucky.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm looking at the calendar for April. Which ones are public shoots?
Clays fields on Sunday and Thurs mornings and Tues nights.
USPSA practices on Weds evenings.
Highpower matches

Probably a few more. Basically opportunities for you to spend some time with club members and show off your safe firearm handling skills

Aegius

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clays fields on Sunday and Thurs mornings and Tues nights.
USPSA practices on Weds evenings.
Highpower matches

Probably a few more. Basically opportunities for you to spend some time with club members and show off your safe firearm handling skills

Well I don't own a shotgun so I suppose the USPSA practice would be the best option. Thanks for the advice.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Membership has swelled to the point that getting range time on the pistol bays on warm weekends is nearly impossible unless you show up early or get lucky.
Then join someone on a bay in use. There is no rule or policy that allows an in-duh-vidual sole tenancy on a bay.

Out of Battery Firearms

Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm looking for an indoor pistol range. Looking for a place, week nights in the winter I can shoot indoors. Hows the typical lane availability? Shooting from the holster allowed? Thanks

JRT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I'm looking for an indoor pistol range. Looking for a place, week nights in the winter I can shoot indoors. Hows the typical lane availability? Shooting from the holster allowed? Thanks
Outside of organized events like indoor steel and .22 Pistol league you will mostly have a private range. I lived in Mass for two years and even though I don't live there anymore I remain a member. Its a great club with mostly great people and no stupid rules. You can load to capacity and you are responsible for your shots. I don't think you can shoot from holster indoors because I recall the steel shoots are low ready. I did it on the outdoor range all the time but I never considered it may not have been allowed, an officer probably needs to answer that one.

EDIT: The only possible negative is, no machine guns. It's not a club rule, it's the town of Hopkinton.

Top Bottom