Hopkinton Sportsmen's Association Semi-offical thread

ILikeGlocks

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm looking for an indoor pistol range. Looking for a place, week nights in the winter I can shoot indoors. Hows the typical lane availability? Shooting from the holster allowed? Thanks
The only time I am aware of that you can draw from a holster on the indoor range is Wednesday night USPSA practice (we move indoors in the colder months). The only time you can use a PCC on the indoor range is also Wednesday USPSA practice. You can shoot .22lr rifles any time inside, but nothing more powerful than that.

On the outdoor pistol ranges, you can draw from a holster. We have a few bays were rifle/shotgun is OK.

Happy to show you around sometime!

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't think you can shoot from holster indoors because I recall the steel shoots are low ready.
Not an officer, but a club member. That being said, I must defend the clubs honor against this allegation of fuddism :D

Drawing from the holster is allowed on the indoor range, and such is regularly done at USPSA practices. I checked the rules at Indoor Range Rules and see no reference to holster draw.

Pin shoots attract a much wider variety of participants than USPSA matches, and many of the participants don't have a competition speed holster (which would be necessary to have an "even chance" against those that do if holster draw was allowed).

The pin shoot rules are "low ready" so that the only equipment required is a center fire handgun and maybe a spare mag. This is also the convention at any other pin shoot I am familiar with. I think that the grandaddy of pin shoots (Second Chance) also uses a low ready position.

Last edited:

JRT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Not an officer, but a club member. That being said, I must defend the clubs honor against this allegation of fuddism :D

Drawing from the holster is allowed on the indoor range, and such is regularly done at USPSA practices. I checked the rules at Indoor Range Rules and see no reference to holster draw.

Pin shoots attract a much wider variety of participants than USPSA matches, and many of the participants don't have a competition speed holster (which would be necessary to have an "even chance" against those that do if holster draw was allowed).

The pin shoot rules are "low ready" so that the only equipment required is a center fire handgun and maybe a spare mag. This is also the convention at any other pin shoot I am familiar with. I think that the grandaddy of pin shoots (Second Chance) also uses a low ready position.
My apologies! I went to a few pin shoots, they were definitely low ready.

Out of Battery Firearms

Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks for the replies, so it sounds like finding an open lane isn't an issue and firing from the holster is also not an issue.

Any clarification on what this Means, "All factory standard handgun calibers and their related ammunition are allowed on the range". I'm willing to bet my idea of "standard" is different from others.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for the replies, so it sounds like finding an open lane isn't an issue and firing from the holster is also not an issue.

Any clarification on what this Means, "All factory standard handgun calibers and their related ammunition are allowed on the range". I'm willing to bet my idea of "standard" is different from others.
What specifically do have that might be nonstandard? You can always email the club president if in doubt.

Out of Battery Firearms

Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I shoot my 44Mag and S&W 500 regularly, they are pretty "standard" to me. Some indoor ranges have, no magnum, or limits FPS, or nothing bigger than XXX. 460 Rowland is a 45cal 185gr moving at 1500fps, that would be "non standard" but no more powerful than 44mag. I could see a rifle caliber handgun being an issue, like 45-70 in a BFR. Thanks

JRT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

I think you are reading into the use of the word standard. It this context I believe it means production and it variants like +p are cool. In other words, wildcatting and non-production (current) ammo are not cool. They don't allow rifle rounds inside except for .22.

JRT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I shoot my 44Mag and S&W 500 regularly, they are pretty "standard" to me. Some indoor ranges have, no magnum, or limits FPS, or nothing bigger than XXX. 460 Rowland is a 45cal 185gr moving at 1500fps, that would be "non standard" but no more powerful than 44mag. I could see a rifle caliber handgun being an issue, like 45-70 in a BFR. Thanks
Those calibers are cool. Just know its an all concrete range with low ass ceilings. It will be loud AF and shit may rain down on you that hasn't been disturbed since the last guy cranked off a 44 mag inside.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As you have correctly deduced, that is exactly the type of round this language is describing. We simply do not want anything that will damage our backstop.

If you or anyone else wants clarification, I invite them to reach out to Bob (El Prez), or myself. (See last of my tagline)

I have fired my .500 mag on the indoor range at HSA, but only with lead bullets and mild charges. Trust me, members will want to take advantage of our ample outdoor ranges for that caliber.

Michael

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
At the time the rule was written, the intent was to make sure that someone didn't bring a Thompson Contender in a rifle caliber to the range and dent the backstop. We didn't want some member with a 5.56 or 7.62 (or other) hand cannon playing word games and saying "The feds and state recognize this gun as a handgun, so I can shoot it on this range". "Standard handgun caliber" in the original intent of the rule, meant calibers generally accepted as being sold as handgun ammo.

Of course, further clarification and rulings come from the Pres, Board or XO. This is kids play compared to inserting implied words like "in the home" into the Second Amendment.

Also, consider the history. Prior to the great rules modernization, it was lead unjacketed ammo max 1000 fps. I got permission to do testing to see if this rule was necessary. A couple of us spraypainted a section of backstop, and put 50 rounds of 38super FMJ @1350FPS into a 3" circle in the sparypainted area. The only damage to the backstop was the bullets took the paint off. That gave ammo for removing the "lead only, max 1000 fps rule". Other rules (like "max load 5", "no clubhouse carry") were removed because they were silly.

Just know its an all concrete range with low ass ceilings.
An INCE (Institute of Noise Control Engineering) engineer who is a member told me the current range design makes an excellent echo chamber.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRT

Out of Battery Firearms

Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
As you have correctly deduced, that is exactly the type of round this language is describing. We simply do not want anything that will damage our backstop.

If you or anyone else wants clarification, I invite them to reach out to Bob (El Prez), or myself. (See last of my tagline)

I have fired my .500 mag on the indoor range at HSA, but only with lead bullets and mild charges. Trust me, members will want to take advantage of our ample outdoor ranges for that caliber.

Michael
Thanks Michael for the response. I agree, I don't plan on shooting the 500 indoor, I value my & everyone else's hearing.

Out of Battery Firearms

Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks again everyone for the responses.

Looking at the calendar, are there any open events to come by? I’ve been through the sponsorship process before, always challenging when you don’t know anyone.

Thanks

Editor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
And some of us will be packing up and running like hell to get OUT of the indoor range when we see that cannon come out of the bag indoors. :)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
And some of us will be packing up and running like hell to get OUT of the indoor range when we see that cannon come out of the bag indoors. :)
Good way to clear the place if you want to shoot alone.

Wonder if I could justify the purchase to my wife with that logic....

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So....when will Hopkinton pave those darn pistol and rifle ranges? picking up brass one by one vs sweeping is silly.....

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So....when will Hopkinton pave those darn pistol and rifle ranges? picking up brass one by one vs sweeping is silly.....
The rifle range road and area behind the shooting line has the first layer of paving (regrind) and is scheduled for the base coat next year.

Paving the actual ranges would not be a good idea. First, there is the drainage issue. Secondly, one needs a good surface for running for the matches. The gravel now in place prevents mud puddles from forming, and allows decent drainage.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The rifle range road and area behind the shooting line has the first layer of paving (regrind) and is scheduled for the base coat next year.

Paving the actual ranges would not be a good idea. First, there is the drainage issue. Secondly, one needs a good surface for running for the matches. The gravel now in place prevents mud puddles from forming, and allows decent drainage.
Couldn’t it be sloped slightly towards the road in the back for drainage? For the running, I think at the first meeting I went to for my membership someone had the idea of using the same type of surface you would find on a tennis court, I think Bob said he had looked into it but it was very $$. What about the material they use for running tracks?

SJan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
how about you get yourself a $10 tarp from harbor freight or job lot

Couldn’t it be sloped slightly towards the road in the back for drainage? For the running, I think at the first meeting I went to for my membership someone had the idea of using the same type of surface you would find on a tennis court, I think Bob said he had looked into it but it was very $$. What about the material they use for running tracks?
either tennis court or running track surface will be $$$. Better spent on other things throughout the club.
As for any sort of blacktop surface on the pistol ranges, Have you ever stood in an un-sunshaded parking lot on a hot sunny summer day?

Last edited:

ILikeGlocks

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
any Wednesday?
Pretty much, in the winter we practice indoors. Show up around 5:30, bring a pistol, magazines, ammo and a holster. The USPSA team is a really cool and knowledgable group.

If you are more into skeet/trap those folks are pretty welcoming as well, just check our calendar: Calendar of Events

We're having a 'hangover' skeet shoot tomorrow morning :)

citoriguy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Pretty much, in the winter we practice indoors. Show up around 5:30, bring a pistol, magazines, ammo and a holster. The USPSA team is a really cool and knowledgable group.

If you are more into skeet/trap those folks are pretty welcoming as well, just check our calendar: Calendar of Events

We're having a 'hangover' skeet shoot tomorrow morning :)
Is the skeet open to the public or members only?

HarryPottar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Have the new 2019 membership cards been sent out? Renewed by mail December and thought it would have been mailed by now.

Thanks
Harry

ILikeGlocks

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Have the new 2019 membership cards been sent out? Renewed by mail December and thought it would have been mailed by now.

Thanks
Harry
From the 3/2/2019 email:

"The new membership cards will be at the printer shortly and in the mail shortly after that. Your current card will remain in effect until new ones arrive."

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The real issue is not the membership card, but how long the card key will remain active. Unless, of course, someone walks up to you on the range and says "your papers please". The membership guy has a good handle on this, so ElPrez will not get flooded with lockout calls.

Top Bottom