• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HORA DOLOR - FOURa. Sept 7th. Details within!

1. Shotgun stage ground targets too close
2. Rifle stage target too large
3. Find a way to avoid backups (not sure how to avoid this in the current format, less stuff to reset on pistol range?)
4. Losing rounds to show clear is annoying [smile]

That being said, it was a ton of fun and the ROs were great. [mg]
With all the glass on the rifles sure, but try using irons next time. :p

I'm trying to get the girlfriend to commit to coming to the winter one, but she hates the cold. I'd like her to take video and photos. I only saw one photo of me between the pic thread here and Townsend R&G's facebook page so next time I need more photo proof that I actually did run in these events! [laugh]

Dude, I had some good ones of you almost falling off the scaffolding but I think I deleted them [thinking] I remember seeing them on the camera at one point. Memory card started getting full (32gb!) so some pics were probably sacrificed.

As far as improvements for next time --

1) Walkthrough would be awesome
2) Chains/firehoses for the steel gongs on the pistol range (duarteus got a sweet slowmo vid of a gong breaking free after my second shot on it -- it's on the Townsend club FB page)
3) Less clearing between obstacles, if possible. I understand it's a safety thing though.
4) I was told we were going to build a sand castle, then we didn't get to [angry]
5) Moar climbing and crawling with rifles!

Last edited:
Wow asking thisgroup for feedback on what you did wrong or can improve on is brave, it was myfirst HORA DOLAR so I don't have have a lot of experience but anyway; I agreewith Cap's comments and would offer these in addition to his

1) decide on the objective don't try to please both sides i.e. is its more forfun or do you want to emphasize competition. I don’t have a problem with eitheras long as its clear from the start.
2) The 2 courses should be the same, one shot gun stage was more difficult thanthe other (I used to shoot skeet) it became very apparent to me after I shotboth sides. If both courses are the same, obviously the times are comparable.The way it was set up I think you will get different times depending on which sideyou selected on each range.

3) if you wantto emphasize competition you need to figure out a way to time each stage. I don’tknow if the running is that important with respect to time or you just want toget the heart rate up. I would consider the bucket run a stage unto its self. Ifyou want to emphasize the fun part just do an overall time but if there are anydelays it will fall apart.

But you have agreat location, club and a core group of volunteers. It will get better andbetter. Its hard to find a club that will allow you to host this. Keep it goinggood luck.

With all the glass on the rifles sure, but try using irons next time. :p

I used a red dot with no magnification and my partner used irons (until he gave up on it on the 2nd run through due to a double feed). [cheers]

Good point on the throwers too (thequag) - they were very different.

I was fine with the size of the plates this time. My elevation was way off so I had my dot lighting up the ground at 75 yards before I could hit the plate. So my ill-prepared red dot sighting benefited from the large plates.

Next time, I will be prepared and smaller plates would be cool. I still adamantly support the alligator pit as well...

I would agree with staggering the teams a little more.

Also maybe make things more linear, like shoot rifles run for bucket, shoot pistols, return bucket. Instead of going for sand, then pistol, then back to sand, back to pistol etc. I think that also played into teams getting delayed. I'd also recommend maybe a 10 minute window after 2 heats in order to reset anything that may break on the course. If it's not needed, an all clear over the radios can get the next team headed out.

Another suggestion would be to make those pigeon boards more modular. So you would have a pigeon board holder and be able to drop in the whole pigeon board that's been pre-loaded with clays.

These are just suggestions, and not really criticism. I had a blast at this event, and look forward to future events. Hopefully some of the contents/suggestions can make the next one better.

Dude, I had some good ones of you almost falling off the scaffolding but I think I deleted them [thinking] I remember seeing them on the camera at one point. Memory card started getting full (32gb!) so some pics were probably sacrificed.

LOL that must have been a riot to watch. My first attempt, the AR mags in my chest rig caught on the edge of the platform and stopped me dead cold. The second attempt I almost made it up but the staging started to tip so I fell off again. [laugh]

This event was a ton of fun and I'll definitely do it again. I don't really feel like it's my place to offer suggestions on how to run the course differently because that was only my second time running in such an event so WTF do I know, but maybe talk to the guys that organize the Excruciathlons at Monadnock and see if they have any helpful tips. The Excruciathlon was more physically demanding and had a more precise scoring/ timing system but I enjoyed both events equally.

Criticisms heard. But don't feel bad to add new more.

To reply to a few: We had an alligators in the pond but one day a large banana was fed to them.. they fled and never returned. Thanks Atilla.

T-shirts: We did that last round. But, at the time, I got not a single response one way or another.. so we didn't do it this round and spent the money on a .50. We hate bumping the price any more than absolutely necessary, so for this round we made the decision we made.

Some of the targets were an issue. We totally made some last moment decisions (AGAIN), but I think we have finally figured out the solution. Nothing to be reset and chain on the swingers.. period. The club also has invested in some poppers and other things, but were purchased for a separate event that hasn't happened yet and we didn't feel it appropriate to break them in. This won't be the case next time.

A couple teams got bjorked by the backups.. at least one teams got screwed TWICE (Sorry BeastlyAdams!!). The backups were 99% a failure of the target reset requirements. A little bit of team equipment failures which we know how we'll remedy in the future, but mostly the damn cable (wire) used to hang the swingers.

So here is the next question: Do you guys want more "3-gun" style format, or more physical style format? Or... what?

Also: I skipped the walk through this time for a couple reasons.

1) Most of you don't pay attention anyway.
2) See #1.
3) We were running late because some people (not the least of which was Johnny, from Precision Point Firearms, who supplied the .50) hadn't shown up yet.
4) I told you to come early and check out the course.

I personally liked the 3 gun format. I'm a little sissy girly man, so I was sucking wind with the sand buckets.

Maybe instead of physical challenges (running 8 miles with a bucket of sand) have a puzzle (field strip an ar and re- assemble, etc) or team challenge in between stages.

Maybe instead of physical challenges (running 8 miles with a bucket of sand) have a puzzle (field strip an ar and re- assemble, etc) or team challenge in between stages.

That would be cool. I can totally see myself launching my 1911's recoil spring plug into the stratosphere trying to field strip and reassemble with the clock running though. [laugh]

morgan i am all about making it more of a three gun challenge. if i want to run an interesting course and have fun, i'll come do a hora dolor. if i want to punish myself and wonder what the absolute zero illogical **** i am doing i'll go do an excrutiathalon.

plus, the lady said this course looked "fun". help me bring her back into the fold.

I like the focus being on the shooting part with some physical / mental stuff mixed in.

Being team based, it would be cool to incorporate more things that require you to work well with your teammate vs. just individually shooting stuff.

Also, the incline/roof board footstop broke as I was clearing...that was fun sliding down the board with 1 in the chamber. [rofl]

I like the focus being on the shooting part with some physical / mental stuff mixed in.

Being team based, it would be cool to incorporate more things that require you to work well with your teammate vs. just individually shooting stuff.

Also, the incline/roof board footstop broke as I was clearing...that was fun sliding down the board with 1 in the chamber. [rofl]
Team based... Coming from the guy that wanted to carry the bucket of sand solo.

morgan i am all about making it more of a three gun challenge. if i want to run an interesting course and have fun, i'll come do a hora dolor. if i want to punish myself and wonder what the absolute zero illogical **** i am doing i'll go do an excrutiathalon.

plus, the lady said this course looked "fun". help me bring her back into the fold.

it really was a good mixture. if you make it any longer then you cant run it twice. if you don't run it twice then some teams are sitting around for hours to get their turn. this way you can still watch the fun and do it take a break and do it again.

the pistol course the best addition so far to the series!

This is the perfect mix of competitiveness and relaxed. If you wanna bust ass, you can and it will be challenging.

If you want to have fun, you can and it wont be exhausting.

Keep it 3 gun. Humping rifle (giggity) would be awesome but I can see the challenge of getting that approved.

Humping rifles with flags installed

Genius! Packs of six can be had for under $7. Factor that into fee and it only comes in, at the very most, an extra $2 per person (thats including a crazy shipping fee).

Edit: better yet, bring your own damn flag. That way those who dont feel comfortable (or dont have sling attachments) arent stuck with the flag tax...

Last edited:
As a former member of the TR&G Board of Directors, and former chair of the Range Committee I want to thank all of you who volunteered your time to help, and all those who participated. The major reason I stepped down from the Range Committee was the fact I got very little help in running events, and only ever saw the same 20 or so people at each shoot. It was good to see lots of new faces, and some I has seen before.
A couple of things I want to mention. I had a blast! ThIs was the second HD I participated in, and it was awesome. We did end up keeping this event smaller then initially planned due to some resistance from some BOD members. The fact we were allowed to carry our pistols was a surprise to me but I see it as a good thing, it means the club is willing to trust us to behave. In talking with other members, and people at other clubs who new about this event, but were turned off by the physical challenges, I think keeping with the three gun format, but switching to a sprint through all courses, and dropping the extra running would bring in more shooters. I will not be shy about using all the club resourses in future shoots, including self resetting poppers, etc. We did have two ROs on the pistol course resetting targets, but then I went to shoot. Keep coming with the ideas, I want to hold a HUGE event in the early spring
Thanks again to everyone!
Aaron

So.. just to be clear..

You guys want us to continue to move this to a Hora Dolor imagined 3 gun event? That's do-able, I just want to be clear that that's the general desire.

What I contemplate, perhaps, is we can keep running them as a pure HD style 3 gun and then once in a while get back to a proper punisher event. The 3-guns are way, way easier to setup and run. But, personally, I like making everyone suffer with the obstacles and such.

I'll look into the safety flag things and see what I can propose to the club, in regards to running with the rifles.

After I quit smoking I ran a warrior dash with my girlfriend. (She's been doing those and Spartan Race and similar stuff for years). While I was running in that I was thinking "I wish I could shoot at targets while doing this." [laugh]

So.. just to be clear..

You guys want us to continue to move this to a Hora Dolor imagined 3 gun event? That's do-able, I just want to be clear that that's the general desire.

What I contemplate, perhaps, is we can keep running them as a pure HD style 3 gun and then once in a while get back to a proper punisher event. The 3-guns are way, way easier to setup and run. But, personally, I like making everyone suffer with the obstacles and such.

I'll look into the safety flag things and see what I can propose to the club, in regards to running with the rifles.

That was my first HD, but the way I understand it, the point is to have obstaces and miserable physical challenges, no? Hence the whole "hour of pain" moniker?

I say keep the team format. Still have it be a timed event, "3 gun style". Just a mad dash around a course and back. MORE SHOOTING!! No scoring targets, just have to get your hits before you can move on. ( I bumped up the Range Committee budget right before I stepped down so the club could buy more steel targets, and I am going to try to get them to buy a plate rack this year!) Keep the obstacles, loose the extra running. As far as carrying the rifles, probably not going to happen any time soon.

BTW, J&M, which team had the best time, I think we are all waiting to hear...

Last edited:
I swear I saw someone who ran the Hora Dolor, walking in Lynn the other morning around 7am? Near GE.....

Anyone?

I say keep the team format. Still have it be a timed event, "3 gun style". Just a mad dash around a course and back. MORE SHOOTING!! No scoring targets, just have to get your hits before you can move on. ( I bumped up the Range Committee budget right before I stepped down so the club could buy more steel targets, and I am going to try to get them to buy a plate rack this year!) Keep the obstacles, loose the extra running. As far as carrying the rifles, probably not going to happen any time soon.

BTW, J&M, which team had the best time, I think we are all waiting to hear...
The amount of running on this one was tiny I thought. Id love to see more thought out obstacles and challenges requring teamwork. Something that might translate into real life situations.

Back
Top Bottom