• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HORA DOLOR: Winter Failings. Feb 24th. Information within!

Hora Dolor - Winter failings!

Are you ready to prove your mediocrity is less mediocre than those around you?

Do you like to shoot at stuff?

Are you able and willing to race by running (walking, crawling, hopping, cussing, fist waggling) about a couple hundred feet in between shooting stages to prove you're more (or less) awesome than your friends, Atmay, prospective friends or strangers actively laughing at your tears?

Sweetjeep.. I do like these things! But what in the bearded hell are you talking about?

I am talking about a Tough Mudder/Spartan Race style event... with guns. And less mud. And guns. And snow. Check out the last Hora Dolor post for different, slightly more basic information. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...lor-quot-Townsend-Fish-and-Gun-club-Sept-30th

WHEN:

Febuary 24th
10:00AM safety brief
Townsend Rod and Gun club
http://www.townsend-rod-and-gun-club.org/

46 Emery Rd
Townsend, Ma 01469

The plan:

We will meet at the Townsend fish and gun club. Safety brief and course explanation is at 10:00AM SHARP. Earlier is better so you can
get all your stuff ready. If everyone is early, we start early. If you're late, sucks to be you. Then we run, we shoot, we politely discuss the differences between crocheting and cross stitching while Team Soft Target reads us poetry from Mother Russia.

The event:

Racing will be heads up. 2 teams run and compete against each other. The race is still timed, but you will be running in direct competition with another team.
Strictly for pride (or lack there of.. I'm looking at you Team Squiggly). If there is someone you want to run against, or a grudge match happens, we will do our best to accommodate that. Each race will still be timed and you will run at least twice.
Depending on turnout and how fast people can hustle we will try to fit in 3 or even 4 races if we can. 2 are guaranteed and if people want to keep running and
we have scorers after the main event, we'll try to make that happen.

This race will also be slightly different from the last one. The last one was a marathon style, this is a full on sprint. The dry run resulted in a sub 20 minute
pass. So some of you will be 15 minutes, some of you may be closer to an hour. But that's cool. Racers will be stacked and staged as much as possible.

The actual race:

We will be hanging out in the club's clubhouse (in the heat, so quit crying about the cold!) or you can go outside and watch.
From the clubhouse run a short run to the trap range, each team will have 20 chances to hit 4 clays. We will provide the clays, -you- provide the ammo. (See faq)
As soon as the clays are powdered, or you run out of them, run directly to the rifle range and shoot your rifle at the 100 yard swinger. 15 hits, each teammate.
Show clear and stow your rifle and run to game #1.
Return from that and grab your pistol. 12 hits, each teammate, and you are on to game #2.
Back from game 2, grab your shotgun load up and put 5 hits on target, each.
Once your shoulders are burning and bruised kick back and enjoy the final challenge on your way back to the clubhouse for more poetry and
polite discussions about how Elizabeth Warren is working hard to make your life better.

DUDE... Seriously, this sounds like a great time! What do I need to bring?

Bring:
You will need a rifle. Any caliber, any action. .22 short, 303 British, 577 T-rex or to quote Nicole "whatever recoil bonanza my husband chooses."
-YOU MAY NOT SHOOT PENETRATOR OR STEEL CORE AMMO-
A pistol. Again, whatever caliber you want. We don't care. .22 short, .50ae.. Whatever type - Revolver, baby killing semi auto, black powder. Whatever.
A shotgun. Any caliber you want. Pump, mag fed, break action, whatever. It must be shooting slugs.
If you want to bring your own bird gun for the clays, please do. Our friends, Adam and Nicole at Acme Armament in Londonderry, NH have very
generously offered to loan us the bird guns. YOU STILL NEED TO BRING YOUR OWN AMMO. If you bring your own gun, 12ga or 20ga will work. But a 10g would be preferential. You know.. because of the added awesome.
You will also need 3 rifle magazines, 3 pistol magazines and a way to transport your shot shells for the trap shoot and the shot gun round. You can get fancy
and run Molle packs and full on gear, or go ghetto and use a backpack. Or SUPER ghetto and stuff this crap in your cargo pants.
Your turnout gear will be required to weigh 6lbs. And you are required to carry ammo/magazines required for a perfect run, though you are encouraged
to carry more. See the FAQ below for more on this topic.
We are scoring this "tactically", meaning hit or miss. No detailed scoring, you shoot until you get the required hits and then you can continue. See FAQ for more.

Your minimum packout (shit you have to have on your person when the heat starts). AKA - all you need for a -perfect- run.
3 rifle magazines with 5 rounds each. Not more, not less.
2 pistol magazines with 6 rounds each. Not more, not less.
4 shot shells (for the clays) 12ga or 20ga. If you are borrowing, 12ga.
5 shotgun slugs. Yes, they must be slugs. Again, read the line above this one for size.
The minimum weight MUST be 6 lbs.
There will be spot checks for fibbers.

See the FAQ for more details.

We are NOT allowed to carry the guns. So no need for holsters or any of that happiness. Sorry.

Sweetjeep, this sounds like it may be the greatest 40 minutes of my year! How much will this Day of Awesome cost me?! For to me, money is of NO OBJECT!

Well dear soul, that is great to here! We do hate the dirty talk of money, but it's a necessary evil. We here at Hora Dolor Headquarters and EVERY SINGLE PERSON
who is helping run the event is doing so for free. They are volunteering. The club expects a "certain" amount from us since they are shutting down the entire facility
so we can play. Joe and I ate into our own pockets for the last event, and we did so willingly, but we have wives and won't let that happen again. He and I still won't take
a penny for ourselves, but we can't foot the bill either. We appreciate that in today's Obamaconomy money is tight so we busted our ass to make this as
good a deal as possible.

So: We require $50 per member ($100 a team). Ugh, seriously, that's some coin! I know. BUT keep reading and see what you get!
Entrance to the event.
A loaner shotgun for shooting clays. Thank you Acme Armament
A sweet sweet event T-shirt! Yeah bitches! A lot of people asked for a shirt last time, so you're getting one this time.
AND (yes.. AND)
We're feeding you. There will be plenty of bacon.
We begged and pleaded for everyone to grab food from the kitchen from the last event, and many (maybe all) of you did. THANK YOU! So we figured this time
around we would simplify it and include your lunch in the deal. Your choices will be 2 meat based items (Burger (bacon, cheese)/hot dog OR chicken fingers. Chx is dual item itself meaning if you choose it, you don't get a burger or dog also). Plus fries/chips and a drink. We'll also have a couple big ass bowls of salads of some sorts. Mac, potato, I don't know you'll find out. Perhaps some other bits and pieces. You won't go hungry and I don't think you'll be sad.

If you are among the societal weak... err.. if you are a "protected class" and have some dietary requirements we will do our best to not make fun of you and provide you with a suitable meal. BUT LET US KNOW AHEAD OF TIME. You must order food and your shirt size when you pay.

Oh yeah. If you are a repeat offender, you get $5 off.

THERE WILL BE NO REFUNDS. We are buying food ahead of time and have to custom
order the shirts. You are more than welcome to transfer your sign up to someone else (no fee or aything), or another team if you can't make it for some reason. But once you pay, you stay paid.

HOW DO I SIGN UP?!
Paypal is the service of choice. Gift, friends-family loan or whatever the choice is - is the type preferred. It skips the fee. Yes, screwing Paypal and avoiding
the fee is kind of wrong, but they also abjectly refuse to deal with anyone who exercises their Second Amendment rights with their service. So they screw us,
don't feel bad about screwing them. If you have morals and don't feel right breaking the rules, no problem. Contact myself or Joe (Joeendris) and we'll figure payment
out for you.

Paypal is: [email protected]
Make sure you include your T-shirt size (or you get a large) and your meal preference and/or if you are a genetic defect and need some special considerations.
Include your team name and your partner (the person or animals you are running with. Not your wife/husband/boy-girlfriend. Unless that's the person you are running with)
PLEASE try to pay as a team. Please please please please (yeah, I am begging).

Limit is 20 teams. Last time we had a 12 team limit with 4 teams on the waiting list.

Finally on the payment topic.

We have to buy food/shirts ahead of time. So we are putting up a tiered payment schedule

If you sign up after the 4th and before the 18th - you are HIGHLY likely to get a t-shirt. But it will probably be an XL. You will also be guaranteed food.
If you sign up after the 18th you will -maybe- get a shirt. And you will -maybe- get fed on our dime. There will be food available to purchase, but for the most part you are on your own. Sorry. Life is how it is.
If we are able to support walk on teams (we DID last time) it's a total crap shoot. You still get to pay full price but we'll see what happens. This assumes we don't max out our team count at 20 before hand.

FAQ:
What if I don't have a bird gun for the trap shoot?
Awesome, glad you read the manuscript above. Acme Armament will be providing loaners. You do need your own 12ga shot shells. It's cold, so I suggest #7.5 or #8 shells.

What if I want to run in the event but don't have a (pistol, shotgun, rifle)?
Each TEAM only needs 1 of each. Because this is a winter event we are only using 1 range. All the shooting is done at the covered rifle range.
As a result each team will only have 1 shooter at a time. Both shooters shoot each stage, just one at a time.
So if your team can come up with (1) ONE of each of the requisite assortment of guns your good.
If you still can't.. Ask around. There are a lot of incredible guys (and ladies) who are willing to share their equipment. Count on it. Post up and ask.

What if I am still hungry after lunch or I want breakfast?
Bring a wallet and order something else or breakfast.

Seriously, I can shoot a .22?
Yes, you can. But be aware. Rifle targets are a steel plate at 100y. If the spotter can't see the plate move or see the splash then YOU DID NOT HIT THE TARGET.
The plate is about 80 lbs and at 100y your .22 LR is likely to have less than 80lbs of energy, so the plate won't move. If we have a "gentleman with eyes of great
experience" watching for a .22 bullet to explode 100 yards away... you may be putting some lead downrange for a while. Just saying.

Pistols are closer and we plan to use a swinger as well. Just be wary of the risks of using a teeny soft hitting round.

What if I want to bring a bolt action or a clip fed gun?
Awesome, glad you asked!
First - http://www.minutemanreview.com/2008/09/clip-vs-magazine-lesson-in-firearm.html. Learn it, love it.
Second - If you run a CLIP fed or bolt action (Garand for example) you get some sort of worthy bonus time off.
Third - You will be exempt from the minimum equipment weight requirement. You still need to carry the correct volume, but it can weigh as little as possible.
Why? Because we here at Hora Dolor headquarters love us some old timey guns and bolt actions and we want to encourage that shit.
BUT (Yes, 'but'.) BUT, if you are running a rimfire bolt action/clip fed (.22, .17, etc.) You will get the time bonus, but NOT the weight benefit. - you must still have
a packout minimum of 6 lbs. We here at HD headquarters love us some rimfire action too, but seriously, you're not a 12 year old girl (probably).

Additionally.. if you are in a situation that you only have 2 rifle mags or 1 pistol mag. We get it, getting more right now is an epic headache. If you can't borrow what
you need just carry the ammo loose. Yeah it will suck, but people did it last time (one team had 1 rifle and 2 mags and 1 pistol and 2 mags, and during that event you shot at the same time as your teammate).
Remember, only one member shoots at a time. So if you only have 2 mags, one of you shoots while the other packs.

What is this minimum weight bullshit about?
Well.. we are trying to level the field a little. If you run a .22 pistol and rifle and a .410 shotgun, you are at a wild weight and carrying capacity advantage as compared
to some chump hauling .50 BMG ammo and using a .454 Casull and a 10gage. We are just making a minimum weight limit. It's reasonable so shut up. And I make
the rules, so shut up. However, if you go the cargo pants route, I won't make you meet the weight minimum, you having all this crap in pockets is a penalty enough.

OK.. fine, your weight limit is cool. What if I am a SUCK shot and I can't shoot a perfect run?
Well, Joe Endris, you're in luck. You must carry the minimum configuration AND DEPLETE THAT FIRST. From there, you can carry whatever your heart feels
that it needs to have. (6) 100 round snails for your Commie Lead Shovel, 670 rounds for your .22short and enough shotgun lead to rebuild
the battery in average Semi truck? Do it. We are trying to make this round of the H.D. a shooters round. Keep reading if you are a suck shot.

So what if I am a horrible shot and can't possibly carry a case of ammo for my .50 BMG and another case for shotgun plus all the .22 short??

Not a problem. If you carry TRIPLE the -required- ammo you will be allowed to keep MORE ammo at the range house and reload as much as you need. You don't
need to have 15 magazines + 10 magazines. But you will need to have 45 rounds of rifle on your person plus 32 rounds of pistol + 6 shot shell +15 slugs.
If you carry this and run out of anything you can reload as much as you want.

What's the penalty if I run out and didn't/can't get more because I thought your rule of carrying triple was stupid?

First, your penalty is having a group of gun guys know you are a FREAKING SUCK SHOT.
Second, your failing will be called out to everyone in the clubhouse.
Third, you will suffer a 15 minute penalty. You can finish the run, but you have thrown it away. Kinda pays to try and carry the ammo huh?

What if I am an incredibly bad shot but can't swing the cost of a ton of ammo or my commie lead shovel can't hit a target 100 yards away and I am totally F*d??
No problem. You MUST (and I WILL enforce this, so help me God), yell (YELL) "I am a worthless liberal, please penalize me!" The range officer who is scoring you
will take great pity on you and you will get a (2) minute, ON THE SPOT, time delay. After 2 minutes, you will be allowed to continue.

What are the rest of the rules?
If I'm honest, we're going to kind of wing it. There will be a rules briefing at the event. But the basics are all common sense. Don't be an a**h***. Keep the barrel UP or DOWNRANGE. Don't shoot anyone or anything that is not supposed to be shot.
There are only a couple actual rules:
1) Joe Endris is the final say. You cannot dispute his ruling.
2) If a Range Officer decides you have committed a safety violation that is worth your departure, you leave. Period. No refund, no exceptions, no discussions. All our range officers are intelligent adults and understand what's what. They have been appointed to help keep everyone safe and help keep everyone from springing a leak. If you run in a "walk only" zone, you'll probably just get yelled at. If you muzzle someone there may be a problem in your immediate future.
3) See Rule #1

Keep and eye on these details as they may change slightly.

Last edited:
Oh joy. [rofl2]

I'll list teams here, as they sign up. While there are six weeks before we "play", it'll go quick. Don't dally too long, as shirts are dependendant on you signing up early and on time.

Confirmed (means you paid on time [wink])
  1. Squiggly <---you two get a map this time [smile]
  2. Spontoon [smile]
  3. Short Bus Ninja I was skeptical about legality, but he swears she's preban...[laugh]
  4. Wildly Inaccurate Reports
  5. SHHHHH, be Vewwy Quiet
  6. Entropy
  7. Cape Clods
  8. Low Speed, High Drag
  9. Power Bottom
  10. Tiger Blood
  11. Where's John and Ringo?
  12. Boyka!!!^3
  13. Spray and Pray
  14. One Hit Wonders
  15. TRGC Represented
  16. Scarecrow
  17. MSC
  18. Good N You
  19. Dominican Dynamite

Unconfirmed (though still placeholders)
Chris K. and teammate
Dan V. and teammate
Team Full Metal Jackass
Team Knife at a Gun Fight
Team It's Time to 2A
'Murica

For the family and friends wondering, yes, we will be posting pics of this glorious proof-most-of-us-can't-run-more-than-to-the-fridge event. Although, it'd be better if you all showed up to root them on, or just scoff and laugh at them as they trudge by, panting and wheezing, sporting a glorious shirt, wondering "...and I paid to do this?!?!..."

Last edited:
So if I read this right, my first 3 rifle magazines can only have 5 rounds each and my first 2 pistol magazines can only have 5 rounds each. All other magazines can be loaded to full capacity (and I can carry as many as I want), but I need to use the 5 rounders first.

Last edited:
1. so once we run out of the 3 mags ...lets say rifle, we can then just load more ammo until we get the required hits on target?

2. if we don't hit the targets its a 2 minute penalty?

In. Do teams need to paypal the 100$ together, or can you take per-person chunks?

I'd prefer you did it in one fell swoop as it makes it easier for me to keep track of everybody and their teams. But if you need to do it separately, so be it. Just make sure you both list your team name in the paypal message, so I can link you two after the fact. [thumbsup]

1. so once we run out of the 3 mags ...lets say rifle, we can then just load more ammo until we get the required hits on target?

Shoot your three mags' worth. If you decide to carry extra mags/ammo, shoot those next. If you run out of those [rofl2], there will be a staging area OUTSIDE the range where you will be allowed to reload mags. You will be required to clear all firearms before leaving the range for any reason, though. If you still can't hit that after throwing several hundred rounds downrange....then yeah, you get a two-minute penalty, [laugh].

Remember, there will be at least two flights, if not three or (if we have the time) 4 flights of this. So you decide. [devil2]

I'd prefer you did it in one fell swoop as it makes it easier for me to keep track of everybody and their teams. But if you need to do it separately, so be it. Just make sure you both list your team name in the paypal message, so I can link you two after the fact. [thumbsup]

Shoot your three mags' worth. If you decide to carry extra mags/ammo, shoot those next. If you run out of those [rofl2], there will be a staging area OUTSIDE the range where you will be allowed to reload mags. You will be required to clear all firearms before leaving the range for any reason, though. If you still can't hit that after throwing several hundred rounds downrange....then yeah, you get a two-minute penalty, [laugh].

Remember, there will be at least two flights, if not three or (if we have the time) 4 flights of this. So you decide. [devil2]

But the extra mags can be loaded to full capacity right?

Can I really put the level of my mediocrity on display by running the rifle stage with an AR pistol?

So each flight will have its own score? So like on the score board each team will appear as many times as they ran it?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

So each flight will have its own score? So like on the score board each team will appear as many times as they ran it?

The time will be totalled at the end. So if you make flight #1 in 30mins and flight #2 in 25 mins, it will tally at 55 mins. Add in Flight #3, and hopefully Flight #4. etc.

Do you guys need volunteers to help keep this semi-sane? I would love to participate, but i highly doubt my ability to hit anything at 100 yards (I just started shooting last month). I just want to be around for the laffs and help make it a good time :)

Do you guys need volunteers to help keep this semi-sane? I would love to participate, but i highly doubt my ability to hit anything at 100 yards (I just started shooting last month). I just want to be around for the laffs and help make it a good time :)

YES. ;) PM Joe and I in your spare time.

That said, if you have a partner and want to run we can make exceptions for people who are open and honest about their ability suck. Make no mistake, nothing will show you how and what you need to practice AND make you better faster than "doing it". Did that make sense?

WHY YOU SO MANY QUESTIONS?! SO MANY LAST TIME.. SO MANY ALREADY!!

Your ammo options work like this:

Option 1:
You bring only the minimum. This means you are dumb and had better not suck. For if you miss ONE target you will gain a 15 minute penalty.

Option 2:
You carry the minimum UP TO 1 single round less than triple the required amount. If you fail to hit 1 target.. you gain a 15 minute penalty.

Option 3:
You are carrying the full triple amount required and you miss 1 target, you will be allowed to walk to your ammo pile and reload as many times as your heart desires.

For any option you are allowed to quit and carry on. But, you quit by declaring "I am a worthless liberal, please penalize me!", at the top of your lungs. At which point you will suffer a 2 minute on the spot penalty.

Someone else asked about carrying spare ammo and mags. I forget if Joe addressed that or not and I am too lazy to scroll.

Yes your bonus ammo can be any configuration you so see fit. If you have a 30-40 round mags, fill them. 100 round snail? Fill it. 33 round Glock mags.. fill them up. The minimum is the required minimum, but what ever else you choose to bring in addition is your call.

The minimum is set up to force mag changes, break your stride etc. Some people think it's to be fair to revolver guys. Nope.

Find a buddy and run. If you saw the rifle targets from last Hora Dolor, you would know that most of the participants can't hit much at 100 yds either. [rofl] (No glass houses - I sucked too!)

Anywho. Team Spontoon is in. All eight legs of us will be there.

Alright, we are all signed up.

My wife said she'll kick my ass if we come in last, so somebody else is going to have to claim that sweet AK trophy

Find a buddy and run. If you saw the rifle targets from last Hora Dolor, you would know that most of the participants can't hit much at 50 yds either. [rofl] (No glass houses - I sucked too!)

Anywho. Team Spontoon is in. All eight legs of us will be there.

FIFY, hehe. And I'm shooting in this one, so the 25 yd mark s fair game, lol

I'll have to see if I can swing the entry fee and ammo, and manage to have the day off from the new job that I won't have been at for a month yet when this happens, but if so, ill run with Uncle Fester again.

I'll have to see if I can swing the entry fee and ammo, and manage to have the day off from the new job that I won't have been at for a month yet when this happens, but if so, ill run with Uncle Fester again.

[sad2] i'm trying to get sarah to run it... but i don't know if she will.

we need a rule exception that i can be on this team.

so the ammo rules are:

1. carry what is laid out in the rules.
2. carry triple.
3. carry whatever but have to run away to reload?

so the ammo rules are:

2. carry triple.

1) Carry the minimum. Don't miss.
2) Carry less than triple. Don't miss much.
3) Carry triple+. Miss all you like, you can go back for more ammo.

Id have to assume that everyone will be running the same number of times, or else it wouldn't. Now, I know Joe and Morgan are complete retards, but even they're not that stupid.
Indeed. The idea here is to get in at least 2 runs minimum. If everybody cooperates and helps make this smooth, we are hoping for a third, and maybe even a fourth flight.

Is that why its called failings??
Because a handful of retards are going to run around in blistering cold conditions where fingers will barely work correctly, much less be able to aim. Where these same fools will slog thru snow to perform some mindless act. And we'll call it fun. [smile]

[sad2] i'm trying to get sarah to run it... but i don't know if she will.
we need a rule exception that i can be on this team.

so the ammo rules are:

2. carry triple.

1) Carry the minimum. Don't miss. Correct
2) Carry less than triple. Don't miss much. Correct
3) Carry triple+. Miss all you like, you can go back for more ammo. Correct. However, there will be benches nearby, outside the firing line, where you can stage your extra ammo. [smile]

So each person will have 3 rifle mags with 5 rounds each. Then an extra mag maxxed out in case there are shots that didnt get hit with the first correct? Also can we shoot from any position?

How big is the 100 yard swinger, and what distance will we be shooting at for the shotgun part?

100yd is about 18" x 24" and will be BRIGHT ORANGE

Shotgun will be 40-50 yards out....an easy hit.

Pistol should be somewhere near the 21' marker.

- - - Updated - - -

So each person will have 3 rifle mags with 5 rounds each. Then an extra mag maxxed out in case there are shots that didnt get hit with the first correct? Also can we shoot from any position?

Any position you want, except missionary [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom