Hot barrel help

Went to the range today to continue breaking in my new acquisition.

It was hot!

I did a mix of targets and drills, dot torture is new and fun and hard and now I need a holster. Go figure.
All was relatively fine, never mind the dripping sweat and the guy and his girl next to me blasting zombie deer targets with bird shot at 3 yards, indoors! Not a fan.
I digress, the last 20-30 shots of my 300 seemed to be hitting low, much lower than point of aim. At 7 yds. It was at least 2 inches below point of aim. I’m relatively new at this, but shots were hitting more or less point of aim all morning. I went reallll slow just to confirm I wasn’t jerking/pulling the shots low.
The slide was hot, not warm, but full on hot!
After some searching I couldn’t find a solid answer to this question. It’s the only thing I could think of.

Will a hot barrel begin to affect shot placement?
Or, was I just hot and sweaty, and need more practice?
I know I need more practice... That said, I still feel strongly that point of aim, and bullet impact were askew.

It’s a VP9 with just under 500 rds. through it.

This newb appreciates any input.
Thanks.

Barrel heat can have an impact, but I typically see that on rifles, not handguns. Maybe you were just a little more fatigued at the end of your session and pulling the shots more.

I would clean the VP9 and lube again. See if it is still doing it the next time you take it out.

Maybe others here will have some better insight for you.

I digress, the last 20-30 shots of my 300 seemed to be hitting low, much lower than point of aim.

Sounds like fatigue-related accuracy issue.

We are not Supermen. It gets hot, we get tired, the gun gets heavy. Accuracy suffers.

If I am shooting well and then accuracy starts falling off. I clean up and leave...

Why waste ammo or risk a mistake?

~Matt

Sounds like fatigue-related accuracy issue.

We are not Supermen. It gets hot, we get tired, the gun gets heavy. Accuracy suffers.

If I am shooting well and then accuracy starts falling off. I clean up and leave...

~Matt

This was my first thought. I had a few dozen rounds left and that was it.

I can’t rule anything out, the range was basically the same temp as outside and I was there for almost two hours.

How many rounds are you guys shooting at a time?
It’s a 45 minute drive each way for me so I wanted to make the most of it.
Probably over extended.

I don't really think of it as "how many rounds" I fired, as it is more like training. Some trips to the range, I only shoot a cylinder or full magazine at a 7 yarder and I'm done.
This is usually for my EDC guns. Tuning in a scope or breaking in a new rifle barrel can be much, much longer.
Because I live so close to the range, I usually only bring 1 or 2 per trip. I don't haul any extra gear, just my "ready bag", ammo and the gun(s).

As to your "hot barrel" of course excessive heat can affect grouping and may cause flyers, but I'm still guessing fatigue.
My advice is to do nothing with the gun and return for another session. If you and the gun shoots well, you may have your answer.
There are many variables to sending lead downrange accurately. Learning how to work within these parameters is key.

I recall that you said this was your primary home defense weapon, if so, you'll want to get your ammo selection/known-good magazine(Primary) and spare (Secondary)
nailed down tight. Practice clearing jams, mag swaps and tactical reloads. Your life is worth that...

~Matt

With a rifle some barrels as they heat up will "shot string" and the poi will shift.....but generally a couple inches at 100 yards. My buddy had a very light hunting rifle that did this....but it was a thin barrel.....lighter rifle for long treks in the woods....to take one shot.....the con with a rifle like that is it takes awhile to zero it.....need to take your time and make sure the barrel stays cool.

A 7 yards you would barely notice.

I think you were tired.

Did you change ammo brands? I know I have a P226 that hates Tulammo, POI is like two inches off and goes wondering after 10 rounds. All other ammo does just fine, no issues.

It’s a 45 minute drive each way for me so I wanted to make the most of it.
Probably over extended.

The number of rounds doesn't really matter. It really depends on what your goals are.
Have a goal and a plan to get there. Then no matter how many rounds you shoot, you are always making the most of it

Agreed.

Whenever I visit the range every two weeks I bring 300-500 rounds of 9 and 40 with good intentions, but in reality after shooting 300 rounds or so when I see a difference in my placement, I call it an afternoon and save what's left for my next visit.

With a rifle some barrels as they heat up will "shot string" and the poi will shift.....but generally a couple inches at 100 yards. My buddy had a very light hunting rifle that did this....but it was a thin barrel.....lighter rifle for long treks in the woods....to take one shot.....the con with a rifle like that is it takes awhile to zero it.....need to take your time and make sure the barrel stays cool.

A 7 yards you would barely notice.

I think you were tired.

Yep. Rifles with thin barrels are more likely to "string" or toss a flyer when very hot. Semi-auto pistols? I don't think so much.

The number of rounds doesn't really matter. It really depends on what your goals are.
Have a goal and a plan to get there. Then no matter how many rounds you shoot, you are always making the most of it

Supermoto nailed it. He has been a long and excellent poster here when it comes to shooting. ~Matt

Did you change ammo brands? I know I have a P226 that hates Tulammo, POI is like two inches off and goes wondering after 10 rounds. All other ammo does just fine, no issues.

No, all 115 grain Winchester. I need to try some other rounds though. I imagine 124 and 147 are both going to pattern differently than the 115.

This is sound advice. You are indeed correct, as a restricted individual in Boston, this is my primary. I fumbled through a few mag exchanges trying to complete a dot torture drill. Not graceful.

It felt good to throw a lot of lead today. I think moving forward though, it would behoove me to be a bit more practical. Focusing on a few specifics at a time versus trying to do it all at once.

Formal training is still on the list.

Throwing lead downrange is one of Man's best Mental Therapies. Having fun while you shoot is almost as critical as the rest. If you don't have fun... you won't go.
This is a journey that you will never regret taking. Have fun, learn technique, master your form, learn and understand what it means to have the power of Life and Death under your thumb.

~Matt

A little off topic but goes with the heat index, make sure you’re hydrating well, the night before and the day of and watch others carefully next to you when it’s this hot.

I’ve seen several people on days like this who’re dehydrated and baking and all of a sudden they start doing the twisty turny’s on the range with their muzzle going all over the place before they drop.

One guy literally turned, wobbled, staring at the sky, then started wobbly walking towards us still pointing his rifle in our general direction. We thought he was having flashbacks or something and guys started spreading out, raising their own weapons and hollering at him to put it down right before he just dropped to the ground. Freaky sh*t. Totally dehydrated and shouldn’t have been out there.

You never know who’s next to you on the range or what shape they’re in that day. Head on a swivel even when it’s just for fun.

This is sound advice. You are indeed correct, as a restricted individual in Boston, this is my primary. I fumbled through a few mag exchanges trying to complete a dot torture drill. Not graceful.

It felt good to throw a lot of lead today. I think moving forward though, it would behoove me to be a bit more practical. Focusing on a few specifics at a time versus trying to do it all at once.

Formal training is still on the list.

Most of Dot torture can be practiced at home with dry fire. Break it down in parts, draw, index reload. Work on getting each perfect before thinking speed or distance

Formal training is a must, sooner the better. It will save you huge amount of time and money in the future

A little off topic but goes with the heat index, make sure you’re hydrating well, the night before and the day of and watch others carefully next to you when it’s this hot.

I’ve seen several people on days like this who’re dehydrated and baking and all of a sudden they start doing the twisty turny’s on the range with their muzzle going all over the place before they drop.

One guy literally turned, wobbled, staring at the sky, then started wobbly walking towards us still pointing his rifle in our general direction. We thought he was having flashbacks or something and guys started spreading out, raising their own weapons and hollering at him to put it down right before he just dropped to the ground. Freaky sh*t. Totally dehydrated and shouldn’t have been out there.

You never know who’s next to you on the range or what shape they’re in that day. Head on a swivel even when it’s just for fun.

Now that had to have been during Ranger Training!

Dear lord. That’s messed up.

I had water with me.
Learned to keep myjead on a swivel when my wife and I frequented Manchester firing line. That place is kind of nuts.
I was at Mass Firearms, still public, but a little more stringent.
I need to find a club near me or within 30-45 minutes drive. That’s for another thread though.

This has been very helpful gentlmen.
Much obliged for your assistance.

I was at Mass Firearms yesterday, too, about 9:30-12:00. When were you there?

My heat issue was 2 hrs on one pistol leaving a slide so hot I didn't want to pack into the soft case, afraid it would melt the nylon. Was standing around blowing on my field-stripped parts like a dork for fifteen minutes.

I was at Mass Firearms yesterday, too, about 9:30-12:00. When were you there?

My heat issue was 2 hrs on one pistol leaving a slide so hot I didn't want to pack into the soft case, afraid it would melt the nylon. Was standing around blowing on my field-stripped parts like a dork for fifteen minutes.

Same exact time and and scenario today. I was raking (metal squeegee?)brass for 10 minutes to let it all cool down. I didn’t strip it, but I definitely blew on the damn thing!

when your , hot, tired , dehydrated and you keep going trying to figure out why something is not going right.....it gets worse.

Pack it up go home and try again

Hydration is no joke for sure. I always make sure I bring water with me and drink it all before I leave the range, especially on a hot day.

Back
Top Bottom