• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hot gun?

LLF

NES Member
Please excuse the provocative title.
I'm looking for advice on how to use heat to loosen Threadlocker on a blued gun. I have a Browning Buck Mark and I want to replace the front iron sight with a fiber optic sight. The instructions say heat can be used to loosen the screw but I don't want to damage the finish.
Thank you.

Per Mr. Jack's advice- use a heat gun. If you are anywhere close to a Harbor Freight, their heat gun is actually of decent quality and easy on the wallet. Of course there's online too.

Most importantly, you need a top quality flat ground screwdriver to remove that screw. This is not the tool to go cheap on- it will mess up the slot on the screw and then... you're screwed! I use Grace, but there are others. At least use a Wheeler insert type screwdriver.

What if you wrapped the barrel with tinfoil and made a little hole just where the screw is? At least that way most of the heat will just be hitting the screw

Not sure on guns but working around rusty cars and farm equipment you heat around the bolt or screw you want to remove . Seems like hearing the screw itself would make it expand and harder to remove

If it heat removed thread locker it doesn't matter where you apply heat, just that it's heated enough to be softened.

What if you wrapped the barrel with tinfoil and made a little hole just where the screw is? At least that way most of the heat will just be hitting the screw

I would not use any open flame. Maybe a butane torch but keep the torch quite a distance from the part. May cause problems for the bluing. A heat gun will get it hot enough to soften the threadlocker but won't otherwise cause any finish problems.

I do like the mag dump idea, LOL.

is that an anodized finish on that buck mark? I wouldn't put any flame near it, direct or indirect. dry, heat gun heat shouldn't hurt it. i doubt it's permanent thread locker on that front sight.

did you try it before using heat? maybe give it a squirt of Kroil If it's an Allen screw you might be able to do with out heat.
If you do need heat, try a soldering iron tip just on the screw itself... the loctite & air gaps should act as enough of an insulator to get only the screw hot quickly ;)

Not sure on guns but working around rusty cars and farm equipment you heat around the bolt or screw you want to remove . Seems like hearing the screw itself would make it expand and harder to remove

He's trying to melt the threadlocker, not use heat to fix it. From what I was taught the heat on parts like you are talking about makes the threads a little softer and thus easier to remove.

Thanks for the advice. I used a heat gun and the screws came right out. Got the new sights on and off to the range.
Buck Mark 22s.JPG
22 Buck Mark Sights.JPG

Back
Top Bottom